Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner Driver Practice

Options
  • 11-01-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

I have my driving test in a few weeks time and wanted to know if anyone could recommend somewhere decent to do some practicing?
    I have my learner permit and will be accompanied by my girlfriend who is a full licence holder. I am also insured on her car.

I live in Christchurch so if anyone could recommend some quiter areas around the city to do some practice that would be great.
    Would also like to practice hill start and 3 point turns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Practicing I'd recommend the Crumlin Shopping Centre carpark, 90% of the time it's empty these days and it's a decent size. Also Newmarket Square is a good spot too at night for driving and turnabouts (they're not 3 point turns anymore). I used to go to both when practicing 2 years ago and brought my gf there too recently.

Hill starts you could use Bridgefoot St, St. Augustine St and Watling St. Bridgefoot St can be fairly busy all day/night so probably go with the other two.

If you're willing to travel a bit further, a good drive would be up Cork St, then Crumlin Road, then Walkinstown Rd onto Ballymount Rd Lower at the Walkinstown Roundabout down the whole of Ballymount Ave, and then up to the Greenhills Rd (hill start) at Maxol. Head down the Greenhills Rd back to the Roundabout and back to Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Id book one more lesson with a driving instructor and get him to show you the test routes and then practice the test routes with your girlfriend it will give you an idea of potential hazards which are poorly marked. For example on the test route in tallaght there is a turn with no stop sign but a white line however the paint on the white line is extremely faded and easy to miss so you could easy make the mistake of yielding rather than stopping if you werent familiar with the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

As said above, know where you're doing your test and get used to the test route as soon as you can.

Advertisement