Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on first hiring/searching for new employee

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,
    I have what I imagine are very basic questions that I need help with.

We're looking to put out a job listing for a new position in our small company. This will be the first time we've gone looking for an employee, so it's something I know nothing about.

If anyone could help with any of the below I'd greatly appreciate it;

1. The new employee will be bringing an entirely new skill set and will be hired with the aim of them providing complementary services for our clients that would open up a new revenue stream for our company. We have a very strong foundation upon which they can do this but will take someone motivated and talented because they'll be doing it solo and it will take a few months to build it up.

What can we do to ensure that the new employee is driven and sticks it out? What I absolutely don't want is someone who sits back and does the minimum, gets bored and jumps ship when something shinier comes along.

2. We don't have the finances to offer a very attractive salary, we can offer a high-low salary and very, very good bonuses and quick salary review/promotion. We have a great brand, a highly unique model and are growing quickly because of our model. Ideally we would get someone who would be willing to take a risk on the base salary because they see the potential. How might we pitch this in the ad, because this stuff usually just sounds like fluff.

3. With our existing employees we don't have a signed contract. We've got a very good relationship with them and as they were going from subcontractor to employee status we didn't introduce any formal contract or anything like that. This is going to sound dumb, but is it absolutely standard (even absolutely necessary?) to have a formal signed contract? I'd like to do things correctly when going through the more standard process of advertising and hiring in any case. What should we look to achieve through these contracts - is it just for the sake of formalising the arrangement or is seen as an opportunity to set particulars to influence the dynamic of the professional relationship?

4. Again, this is going to sound dumb but I've been self employed nearly all my professional life so have next to no experience of this from either side of the table - what is the standard process of going from advertising a position to a new employee starting work? I'm guessing it's; Advertise job on various job websites > Gather applicants > Select top X%, turn down others > Arrange interview(s) (is this typically set as a fixed day, i.e 'your interview will be on this day at this time' or is it a back and forth to find out what day/time suits the applicant?) (Also, do most companies leave the ad up and receive applications until a new hire is finalised or do they close the ad after receiving a certain amount of applications?) > Do 2nd round of interviews > Offer position.

Thank you for reading, your help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bourneslippy

Any thoughts on this? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any thoughts on this? Thank you

Briefly:
    1. It's up to you to make a judgement on the person. Try to do some research on interview techniques.
    2. Something has got to give, you might have to take a risk on a younger more inexperienced person if you can't offer a decent basic. People don't really buy into the "can earn X commission" lark.
    3. All staff should have contracts.
    4. Leave the job up until position is filled. You set the interview date, they make it their priority to make it. Most people have to give 1 months notice to former employer, start date is a negotiation that you lead but work within reasonable expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree with most of what Parlance has said except for the comment on commission. You should provide a living wage and then further incentivise vendors. However, I would go further, adding that you really need professional help / input. It is basic employment law that staff must have written contracts. You did not know that and asking the questions you have posed, you most likely have no idea of how to structure the role or remuneration, and manage what will essentially be an ‘outside’ employee. Get professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

3 and 3 and 3, leaving your staff, not matter what position, without contracts is leaving yourself open to very bad repercussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

1. The new employee will be bringing an entirely new skill set and will be hired with the aim of them providing complementary services for our clients that would open up a new revenue stream for our company. We have a very strong foundation upon which they can do this but will take someone motivated and talented because they'll be doing it solo and it will take a few months to build it up.

What can we do to ensure that the new employee is driven and sticks it out? What I absolutely don't want is someone who sits back and does the minimum, gets bored and jumps ship when something shinier comes along.

1. Varies widely - what king of role is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Is there any way you can find someone through your network?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I agree with most of what Parlance has said except for the comment on commission. You should provide a living wage and then further incentivise vendors. However, I would go further, adding that you really need professional help / input. It is basic employment law that staff must have written contracts. You did not know that and asking the questions you have posed, you most likely have no idea of how to structure the role or remuneration, and manage what will essentially be an ‘outside’ employee. Get professional help.

My comment was more to do with senior, experienced sales guys. It will be hard to recruit someone with a proven track record for 23-34k basic. The good guys know they're good, will generally be a little older (with more financial commitments) and will be looking for more security in terms basic.

That's not to say that commission isn't a key element. But they'll have been around long enough to know that a 24k basic with an OTE of 65k isn't likely 9 times out of 10 despite many companies making silly claims with advertising positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

You'll need to do two things:

1) Sell the opportunity. Not in a fluffy, promise you the earth type way, but with a concrete proposition that outlines the who, what, when, why and how. And you'll need to put it all down on paper so that you are absolutely clear on it first.

Especially the 'what' and 'why':

-What is your vision?
    -What are your goals?
    -What do you offer a candidate?

-Why do you exist?
    -Why should people care?
    -Why should they join you over an established company that can offer them a higher salary, more stability, certainty, and a range of perks?

2) Target the search to where you are most likely to find an interested person

Even if you have all of 1) down to a tee, it's not enough because the vast majority of people just want a steady, well-paying job. The vast majority of people are not entrepreneurial or willing to be their own boss (at least starting off, in your case).

So while putting up a job posting may attract some suitable candidates, you will need to get creative and focused in terms of reaching the right people. Entrepreneur meet-ups, LinkedIn groups, forums, blogs, using your network, contacting self-employed people with a strong online presence / following to ask if they can post out the opportunity to their audience, etc.

Finding the right person will be like a job in itself, but it is the same for anyone looking for a position (i.e. on the other side). So you'll have to treat it as such.

Then again, you could get lucky and find someone quickly and easily, who is ready and suited for the opportunity. You can't count on that though.

Finally, not having a written employment contract is foolish. You are in breach of legislation which states that you are obliged to provide a written contract within 2 months of commencement of employment: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html

Anything at all could come up (from sickness to someone disappearing or taking more time off than you expect, etc.), and so you need to have everything in order to allow for such scenarios. Having a great relationship with employees is brilliant, but using it as an excuse for not having a written contract is like saying you don't need insurance because you're a fantastic driver (not quite as extreme obviously, but the point stands). You could easily just hire a HR agency or consultant to sort all of that out for you for a reasonable fee I am sure.

Advertisement