Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting - 'lease' required?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

A student tenant has moved abroad for a few months and has sublet his room with my permission. Do I need to get the new tenant to sign a lease or is the original tenant 100% 'responsible' for him - not quite sure what I need to do. Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If it's a subletting, any lease would be between the tenant and the subtenant. You might sign it by way of signifying your consent, assuming the lease between you and your tenant requires consent to subletting. Under a sublease, the original tenant remains responsible to you for payment of rent, compliance with covenants, etc. If the subtenant fails to pay the rent or damages the property that's (in theory) the tenant's problem, not yours.

The alternative arrangement would be an assignment, under which tenant A transfers his tenancy interest in the property to tenant B. This requires your argeement, and would normally be documented in writing signed by all three of you. Under an assignment, tenant B is directly responsible to you for the rent, compliance with covenants, etc, and tenant A is out of the loop.

It's important that you, tenant A and tenant B should all have the same understanding of whether this is a subletting or an assignment, and even if only for that reason its wise to have something in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks v much Peregrinus.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

on this - if I sublet a room to another tenant in the house (as agreed with the landlord) do i have to register the lease with the RTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

eoinola wrote: »
    on this - if I sublet a room to another tenant in the house (as agreed with the landlord) do i have to register the lease with the RTB?

No, you are the head tenant, they are licensees. It is not a tenancy, but a licence.

Advertisement