Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Grass result dry matter 21.7%, protein 21.5%, DMD 82%

Not too many feeds will compete with that

Was there any energy value given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was there any energy value given?

With results like above me 12.5 /13 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Sample from paddock 7 yrs seeded, unrea last week.

All I know is that result brings our AFC to >1000 and that we grew 5 per day instead of 3 as previously thought

No energy result. It illustrates the power of spring grass imv

All I know is that result brings our AFC to >1000 and that we grew 5 per day instead of 3 as previously thought

Fully agree but wonder what would dm content drop to if we had a prolonged wet spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If urea was out last week would that protein be artificially raised and be an issue to the cow? Would be interesting to see protein figure in 3 weeks assuming grass wasn't touched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grass samples of 4 different paddocks this am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Grass samples of 4 different paddocks this am.

I'd love to see a measure of the quality of those protein results. Moved maiden heifers to outfarm today. One paddock too strong for slurry during the week. They'll get another three days outside on it. Back in then for a few weeks. They spent the last week cleaning off the heaviest ground on the mp. It should be back for the end of first rotation when it's normally grazed for the first time most years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Spread urea and covered same ground with half bag of 0 7 30 on grazing paddocks over week ago. Can see a noticeable difference in grass today after drop of rain over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

degetme wrote: »
    Spread urea and covered same ground with half bag of 0 7 30 on grazing paddocks over week ago. Can see a noticeable difference in grass today after drop of rain over night.

Would you not be afraid of grass tetany by applying the 30units of K now just before the cows go out?

Edit: only a half bag of 0 7 30.
    Crisis averted. I didn't read the post properly.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

New years resolution here to start measuring grass (again!). Made an attempt a few years ago but packed it up.

I have a plate meter and did a walk yesterday. Just wondering what formulas do fellas use with the plate meters? Looking back at the one I used a few years back, it was:
    (((Final Reading-Initial Reading)/No. of Samples)*140)-1000=KG dm/ha

No idea where I got that from, so could be way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Freejin wrote: »
    New years resolution here to start measuring grass (again!). Made an attempt a few years ago but packed it up.

I have a plate meter and did a walk yesterday. Just wondering what formulas do fellas use with the plate meters? Looking back at the one I used a few years back, it was:
    (((Final Reading-Initial Reading)/No. of Samples)*140)-1000=KG dm/ha

No idea where I got that from, so could be way out!

(Final reading - first reading) ÷ (no. Of samples x2)=height of grass...multiply that by 250 for kg/DM/ha.
    This is what I do

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

(Final reading - first reading) ÷ (no. Of samples x2)=height of grass...multiply that by 250 for kg/DM/ha.
    This is what I do

Is this formula for the manual plate meter?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Is this formula for the manual plate meter?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Yes

Cheers. Must give it a go myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

This is what I do

Thanks for that. I used your formula and got very high readings (about 800 more than my own formula) I guess it could depend on the make of platemeter. I should probably cut and weigh a few samples and calibrate that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

Freejin wrote:
    Thanks for that. I used your formula and got very high readings (about 800 more than my own formula) I guess it could depend on the make of platemeter. I should probably cut and weigh a few samples and calibrate that way

it should be divide by 2 not multiply

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Does anyone here use the Grasshopper for measuring grass? Half thinking of making the plunge but wouldn't mind getting the opinion of someone with one first

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

Signpost wrote: »
    Does anyone here use the Grasshopper for measuring grass? Half thinking of making the plunge but wouldn't mind getting the opinion of someone with one first

Have been trying to get one for last 4 weeks. Numerous emails and calls but not getting any replies. Seems very strange whatever is going on. Anyone else been trying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevinm177 wrote: »
    Have been trying to get one for last 4 weeks. Numerous emails and calls but not getting any replies. Seems very strange whatever is going on. Anyone else been trying?
    I got one late last year after waiting for a good while for one. I still have to set it up but it looks like I will get a chance next week. I did a walk with one guy doing his measurement with one and it really make the job simple but delivery is really, really slow.

If you are in a discussion group that is interested or know a few lads interested, there is a good discount available and delivery is a good bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Freejin wrote: »

We use second reading less first reading then divide by twice the amount of drops e.g

Using 20 drops we got a reading 32266 minus 1st reading = 194
    20 drops x 2 = 40

So divide 194 by 40 = 4.8 cms of grass
    including @ 4 cm residual that would leave a cover of 200

• Advertisement

Limofarmer wrote: »
    We use second reading less first reading then divide by twice the amount of drops e.g

Using 20 drops we got a reading 32266 minus 1st reading = 194
    20 drops x 2 = 40

So divide 194 by 40 = 4.8 cms of grass
    including @ 4 cm residual that would leave a cover of 200

Better description of how I do it

Brought maiden heifers back in today. They did some good work for the ten days they were out. Probably saved enough silage to keep the milkers in three or four nights extra in March should the need arise. I'm happy enough that there's enough fodder there unless things go completely curly. We're going to keep the milkers out even if it's just for a few hours per day. This humid mild weather makes it very hard to keep sheds right.

A lot of rain with the last week here, don't see cows going out without a good week of drying weather. Agree re the sheds, was sweating myself in the oil skins yday.

A lot of rain here last night. Going for breaky now and I'll walk the paddock after to see if cows will go out today.
    Calving not really kicked off yet. Delighted I pulled it back a week or our yard would be under quite a bit of pressure ATM

Cows out day and night since last Friday out all day and out from 5.30 till 9 at night .

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Cows out day and night since last Friday out all day and out from 5.30 till 9 at night .

Winter girls out today and will stay out tonight. Heifers started calving today, very obliging with a nice steady stream of calves since 10am. 7 so far and no assist all by PSQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Winter girls out today and will stay out tonight. Heifers started calving today, very obliging with a nice steady stream of calves since 10am. 7 so far and no assist all by PSQ

Nice going there! I bet It's not like work at all when things are going smoothly.

Nice going there! I bet It's not like work at all when things are going smoothly.

Lol, like a swan......legs going like the clappers under the water ;)

Pasture base isn't working for me. It says that someone may be trying to steal my data etc. Happening to anybody else? Anything I can do?

Milkers kicking in grass mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It's a lot wetter up here, I definitely cannot risk pushing them to graze that tight yet. But ridiculous regrowth on what was grazed 2wks ago, I don't mind if I have to wait till round2 to get a better clean out.

Timmaay wrote: »
    It's a lot wetter up here, I definitely cannot risk pushing them to graze that tight yet. But ridiculous regrowth on what was grazed 2wks ago, I don't mind if I have to wait till round2 to get a better clean out.

I probably pushed them a bit hard there yet. Still trying to get a handle of area to allocate and intakes

I probably pushed them a bit hard there yet. Still trying to get a handle of area to allocate and intakes

What else ya feeding them? I'm giving them mostly just maize, bit of silage that gets mixed up with it. They only get that around the evening milking, so reasonably hungry when going out anytime between 10am and 2pm (depending on weather!), not really a whole lot more I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Nice grass there lad... Fair play... What variety is it?

Timmaay wrote: »
    What else ya feeding them? I'm giving them mostly just maize, bit of silage that gets mixed up with it. They only get that around the evening milking, so reasonably hungry when going out anytime between 10am and 2pm (depending on weather!), not really a whole lot more I can do.

3kg meal ATM. Opening the maize fairly soon I'd say

Just got first half of soil samples back. All threes and fours bar two paddocks on land we bought ten years ago. This had been in conacre while my arse is looking down but after ten years of tlc it's still only in index 2. Half silage ground requires 2 tonne of lime plus the wettest 15 acres we have needs 1.5 tonnes per acre. Steady as she goes with our fert programme other than a few of loads of lime. No surprise on the index two's. Very hard to get performance from them. They'll stop performing at the slightest hint of unfavourable conditions. Everything should be set for a good grazing season once the lime is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

In the absence of being able to get in contact with Grasshopper (TrueNorth)... Plate meter, worth it or not worth it?
    Religious enough with grass recording last while here so cost would be inhibitive if they give the ability to budget more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

In the absence of being able to get in contact with Grasshopper (TrueNorth)... Plate meter, worth it or not worth it?
    Religious enough with grass recording last while here so cost would be inhibitive if they give the ability to budget more accurately.

Spent a month trying to get it contact with no joy. Then out of blue got email sayin they would be at my place for a demo in a week. Man arrived on the day and gave me a quick demo. Didn't try and sell it at all just told me to think about it and get back to him.

Just got first half of soil samples back. All threes and fours bar two paddocks on land we bought ten years ago. This had been in conacre while my arse is looking down but after ten years of tlc it's still only in index 2. Half silage ground requires 2 tonne of lime plus the wettest 15 acres we have needs 1.5 tonnes per acre. Steady as she goes with our fert programme other than a few of loads of lime. No surprise on the index two's. Very hard to get performance from them. They'll stop performing at the slightest hint of unfavourable conditions. Everything should be set for a good grazing season once the lime is out.

Got ours back last week.
    This was land that was in continuous tillage for 30 years (Beet and Barley) and let out for most of it.
    No p or k registered on soil samples when we took first ones 13 years ago.
    Majority of new reseeds failed that were set that year.

Now, 3/4 of farm is index 3 or 4 and the rest that was being used for 3 cuts of silage is at index 2. That's going into continuous grazing from this year on, so hopefully we'll get her in 3/4 now

No wonder cash has been so tight here with building up soil indexes and cow numbers. Soil is in supper quality compared to what it was.

New target for this farm is to grow 16-17t. Should do it easily

• Advertisement

Got ours back last week.
    This was land that was in continuous tillage for 30 years (Beet and Barley) and let out for most of it.
    No p or k registered on soil samples when we took first ones 13 years ago.
    Majority of new reseeds failed that were set that year.

Now, 3/4 of farm is index 3 or 4 and the rest that was being used for 3 cuts of silage is at index 2. That's going into continuous grazing from this year on, so hopefully we'll get her in 3/4 now

No wonder cash has been so tight here with building up soil indexes and cow numbers. Soil is in supper quality compared to what it was.

New target for this farm is to grow 16-17t. Should do it easily

Dung your biggest asset for that I take it?
    A lot of rain again the last few days so nothing out yet. Will have no problem getting thru ground once out but would like to get cows out as cubicle space tightening up and get a few paddocks into gear. Ground u had hoped to get slurry on was too wet when pipe came so will go with 2 bags 18 6 12 there once conditions allow

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dung your biggest asset for that I take it?
    A lot of rain again the last few days so nothing out yet. Will have no problem getting thru ground once out but would like to get cows out as cubicle space tightening up and get a few paddocks into gear. Ground u had hoped to get slurry on was too wet when pipe came so will go with 2 bags 18 6 12 there once conditions allow

Yeah definitly. made grazing in spring trickier because topsoil is so loose after all the work the worms are doing

Yeah definitly. made grazing in spring trickier because topsoil is so loose after all the work the worms are doing

Did ye Plough in much of it.? Contractor reckons spreading in winter and leaving on top gives best results

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did ye Plough in much of it.? Contractor reckons spreading in winter and leaving on top gives best results

Yeah all ploughed back when we started first but it was all stubble and all wore out so wouldn't have made much difference if we didn't plough.
    Did first but if ploughing last year for a long time and we turned all the p and k down. Top of index 1 when tested, it was mid index 2 at last test 2 years ago, likely it was up in 3 what we ploughed down

I got ambushed by midgets this evening up on the tractor. In the middle of February. Based on that one fact I'm going to estimate a growth rate of 25 for this week ha. Which won't help my already Sky high afc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Bit off topic - but I hope ye wont mind... ;)

I am jealous of your pic Grass ;)

Any recommendations on how to improve grassland with poor P&K indexes (esp poor P), without dung... :confused:

I don't have access dung, plus the ground doesn't lend it self to machinery...

• Advertisement

Bit off topic - but I hope ye wont mind... ;)

I am jealous of your pic Grass ;)

Any recommendations on how to improve grassland with poor P&K indexes (esp poor P), without dung... :confused:

I don't have access dung, plus the ground doesn't lend it self to machinery...

Chemical fert is the only thing you can use. Not an awful lot of P in dung but it's a fantastic soil conditioner.
    What's your lime like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Chemical fert is the only thing you can use. Not an awful lot of P in dung but it's a fantastic soil conditioner.
    What's your lime like?

From ok-ish (6.3) to very bad (5.2)

So lime is on the to do list this year... put some out the past 2 years, but some fields are still badly in need...

Then chemical P, as budget allows.
    Prob be a mix of 10-10-20 and 0-16-0 - dependant on grass demand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd love to see a measure of the quality of those protein results.

Is PDI a better measure than crude protein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

From ok-ish (6.3) to very bad (5.2)

So lime is on the to do list this year... put some out the past 2 years, but some fields are still badly in need...

Then chemical P, as budget allows.
    Prob be a mix of 10-10-20 and 0-16-0 - dependant on grass demand...

Is there much supply of products like Fibrophos(burnt chicken ****) available in bulk over there?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is PDI a better measure than crude protein?

What's PDI? Almost every other measure of protein is better than cp. Digestible cp for starters, rumen degradable protein at minimum. The further down the digestive system a protein is digested the better the quality and the bigger the return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement