Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why UK have different targets to Ireland for grazing. In Ireland we are told that pre-grazing yield should be approx 1400 but in uk they say 3500kgDm/ha. Is it something to do with type of grass or what?

The UK use total cover comes from new Zealand in Ireland we use available cover. The UK are adding on what's left after grazing. The targets are the same just take 1500 off UK cover to convery to irish figures

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

yewtree wrote: »
    The UK use total cover comes from new Zealand in Ireland we use available cover. The UK are adding on what's left after grazing. The targets are the same just take 1500 off UK cover to convery to irish figures

Thanks for that yewtree. Think now I also know why my plate meter readings are so high. The playemeter came from the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Going mowing ground on grazing block and heifer ground, will pull the rotation back to 18 days when I mow this,

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Can anyone advise where I can buy a shears and more importantly a scales for accurate grass reading? Eye is accurate enough whenever its checked but I want to get that bit tighter on it but finding it hard to find a suitable kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Signpost wrote: »
    Can anyone advise where I can buy a shears and more importantly a scales for accurate grass reading? Eye is accurate enough whenever its checked but I want to get that bit tighter on it but finding it hard to find a suitable kit.

I got that kit off grasstec a few years ago no complaints regarding quality of it maybe could be sourced cheaper elsewhere
    this is the link to what they sell http://www.grasstecgroup.com/agri-services/product/bosch-isio-shears/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st paddock I've noticed here under heavy enough drought stress, cover low enough on it (900ish), so the soil not retaining moisture much. Early enough heading grass variety but it's starting to head out on me already which is annoying. Only got one bag of 18 6 12 this year (I'm playing around considering I'm alot lower stocked). Meanwhile I've another paddock with the same one bag of 18 6 12, much more clover in that sward, clover the size of your hand by now. I'm going to be taking it out in excess bales next week probably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st paddock I've noticed here under heavy enough drought stress, cover low enough on it (900ish), so the soil not retaining moisture much. Early enough heading grass variety but it's starting to head out on me already which is annoying. Only got one bag of 18 6 12 this year (I'm playing around considering I'm alot lower stocked). Meanwhile I've another paddock with the same one bag of 18 6 12, much more clover in that sward, clover the size of your hand by now. I'm going to be taking it out in excess bales next week probably!

The difference between the two paddocks could be cobalt deficiency.
    Clover loves cobalt.

1st paddock cover low enough on it (900ish),

Timmaay, the photo you put up. Is that the 900 cover? Would you have any other pics with varying covers? Trying to calibrate myself hear to estimating. Plate meter is doing my head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No heading on that grass yet. That's just weed grass heading out there

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevinm177

No heading on that grass yet. That's just weed grass heading out there

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ah timmay timmay timmay do you not know what ryegrass head looks like? !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah timmay timmay timmay do you not know what ryegrass head looks like? !?

Only bad grassland farmers know what ryegrass seed heads look like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

alps wrote: »
    Only bad grassland farmers know what ryegrass seed heads look like...

Shots fired:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Shots fired:D

There have been reports of incidents overnight......

Chanced my arm and rang the contractor who normally spreads fert here at 8 this morning. Showers overnight and showery for the day. A bag of urea per acre going on grazing ground as I type.

Chanced my arm and rang the contractor who normally spreads fert here at 8 this morning. Showers overnight and showery for the day. A bag of urea per acre going on grazing ground as I type.
    What does he charge for spreading bag/acre? Have a lad taken on 2 days a week here with the last month or so, as of 2 weeks ago we are following the cows so he spreads after the cows every week. Following with can+s at the minute bringing it up to 110 out on grazing block approx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    What does he charge for spreading bag/acre? Have a lad taken on 2 days a week here with the last month or so, as of 2 weeks ago we are following the cows so he spreads after the cows every week. Following with can+s at the minute bringing it up to 110 out on grazing block approx

Contractor here 50 euro per hour ,big sulky spreader with a heap of gizmos

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Contractor here 50 euro per hour ,big sulky spreader with a heap of gizmos

Works out around the same here.40 per tonne for one bag/acre. The bells have whisltes on this machine and a very competent conscientious operator on it. We open all gaps esp when he comes in at short notice like this. We haven't spread a bag ourselves since mid 2014. Using urea you would usually end up blanket spreading when the opportunities arise anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Works out around the same here.40 per tonne for one bag/acre. The bells have whisltes on this machine and a very competent conscientious operator on it. We open all gaps esp when he comes in at short notice like this. We haven't spread a bag ourselves since mid 2014. Using urea you would usually end up blanket spreading when the opportunities arise anyway.

Was using contractor for a couple of seasons. I found it dear and hard to get it spread when I wanted. He let me down very badly one autumn and I never really forgave him!! When it suits I just go out with a tonne, spread ten bags In front of the cows and ten bags on what they have grazed is nearly always how it works out. Can understand why lads use contractor of course but I have my reasons for spreading fert myself.

• Advertisement

Gr=Whoosh.

A month's grass falling as I type. The only downside is I had to do a heap of yard scraping. Every sq yard of concrete the cows use outside the collecting yard had a thick coating of powdered $hite on it before the rain came.

Gr=Whoosh.

A month's grass falling as I type. The only downside is I had to do a heap of yard scraping. Every sq yard of concrete the cows use outside the collecting yard had a thick coating of powdered $hite on it before the rain came.
    Snap same here ,had 4 tonne fertiliser to spreadcyesterday before rain but way too windy so didn't bother instead I'm off to do it now ,probably scorch the place for working on the sabbath day !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Dwag

Snap same here ,had 4 tonne fertiliser to spreadcyesterday before rain but way too windy so didn't bother instead I'm off to do it now ,probably scorch the place for working on the sabbath day !!!!

You'd never know Mahoney...some crowds have been gifted new hospitals for doing worse!
    Spread enough and they might give you Uni Hospital Lim.

How windy mj? That would never be a factor I would consider spreading fert but the wind/breeze almost never drops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

How windy mj? That would never be a factor I would consider spreading fert but the wind/breeze almost never drops here.

Depends onnstrenght, weight/bulk density of your fert and width. Some fert smashes to bits on the fins and others are too light a particle? to get the energy in for it's size to go far enough. Eg prilled vs granular urea, prilled is a b***h to spread.
    We can't spread in anything but calm still conditions at 36m but in the teens you'd be fairly safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

Any magic plan for sharpening a grass shears, only have it since Jan and its gone blunt as fook,makes the clipping fierce tidious and time consuming

• Advertisement

ted_182 wrote: »
    Any magic plan for sharpening a grass shears, only have it since Jan and its gone blunt as fook,makes the clipping fierce tidious and time consuming

Take blades apart and sharpen with s round file. Try and sharpen at the same angles there at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Bosch one from grasstec?

dar31 wrote: »
    Bosch one from grasstec?

Yeah 'top of the range'

Bosch one from grasstec?

I've the same. Cat malogen bad altogether

Mowers coming tomorrow afternoon. 10% of mp being mowed as well. Oul boy not panicking so I'm not sure if he's gotten used to it or I need to take out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

same here always a fecking wind coming off the hook here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Bosch one from grasstec?
    I have tried many clippers and the only one that was any good is the more powerful Bosch one I got from grasstech, great to cut.

Mowers coming tomorrow afternoon. 10% of mp being mowed as well. Oul boy not panicking so I'm not sure if he's gotten used to it or I need to take out more.

Impending dry week worry you or did ye get a drop weekend just gone?

Impending dry week worry you or did ye get a drop weekend just gone?

We got rain. Not a lot but enough to freshen things up. Nitrates gone so time to cut. Much stronger crops than last year's first cut which was taken almost ten days later.

Was thinking of this shears as its 18V, would it be worth the money do ye think? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DUM168Z-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Grass/dp/B00JPUJOSA

Would that 10% have gotten a bag of urea over the weekend or did you skip it?

Would that 10% have gotten a bag of urea over the weekend or did you skip it?

It got the urea. Light crop and will be dried out to the last so should be fine.

It got the urea. Light crop and will be dried out to the last so should be fine.

In your experience then is the majority of that N still available to the plant after cutting or is it taken off in the crop? Just asking because last year i was blanking spreading cow ground and say i could spread on a monday and be mowing on a friday and i kinda felt i was wasting fert that it was being taken away in the crop iykwim

Paddocks out today and dropping cover per cow to 140 would go lower only no prospect of rain for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Paddocks out today and dropping cover per cow to 140 would go lower only no prospect of rain for a week

Will you test for nitrogen and sugars or will drying out cancel it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

A 150 here and not a chance of dropping it. No rain on the horizon but really needed.

30 ac into bales last week and 20 acres on heifer ground knocked for bales yesterday. Sprayed off 24 acres for grass seeds on heifer ground yesterday. With meadows locked, bales out and spraying done that farm is stocked at 7 per ha but growing really well with plenty of 1500+ covers.

Drafting cows on home farm this morning to move to a new farm. Our first milk collection there was this am. So quiete busy here ATM. The cows leaving home will drop Sr. and help grass situation.

All cows averaging 28 litres at 3kg 12% nut Fat 4.30 Pro 3.61 Scc 140 Urea 22

degetme wrote: »
    Will you test for nitrogen and sugars or will drying out cancel it out?

Nope sun and Tedder *2 will sort ,baling dinner time Friday

A 150 here and not a chance of dropping it. No rain on the horizon but really needed.

30 ac into bales last week and 20 acres on heifer ground knocked for bales yesterday. Sprayed off 24 acres for grass seeds on heifer ground yesterday. With meadows locked, bales out and spraying done that farm is stocked at 7 per ha but growing really well with plenty of 1500+ covers.

Drafting cows on home farm this morning to move to a new farm. Our first milk collection there was this am. So quiete busy here ATM. The cows leaving home will drop Sr. and help grass situation.

All cows averaging 28 litres at 3kg 12% nut Fat 4.30 Pro 3.61 Scc 140 Urea 22

I'd say some of the teagasc farms should take a trip out to your crossbreds , heading for 6 litres and 0.3 to 0.56 kgs of solids ahead of them along with a higher price with the percentages. On 27L here at 3.68p 3.78bf. Hol/fr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

I'd say some of the teagasc farms should take a trip out to your crossbreds , heading for 6 litres and 0.3 to 0.56 kgs of solids ahead of them along with a higher price with the percentages. On 27L here at 3.68p 3.78bf. Hol/fr

I'm convinced it's feeding not breeding, took me a while to see it. Slow learner!!

New farm will have no xbred cow so it'll be interesting to see if my theory holds credence. I'll report in a few weeks when they're settled. Now got to go, flat out

Not sure how much attention we should be paying to Teagasc around grass management based on the Greenfield....

Not sure how much attention we should be paying to Teagasc around grass management based on the Greenfield....

They took out a lot of land last week for bales and it should have been left in. Second round grass that cows would have no issues cleaning out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They must of let jk do the last few grass walks, the poor chap has awful trouble working a calculator pretty funny his piece in the journal this week after he got pulled up on last weeks tripe he wrote

They took out a lot of land last week for bales and it should have been left in. Second round grass that cows would have no issues cleaning out

They'll be feeding that silage to the cows.
    There's no rain forecast in the next 7 days now only this drying wind.:rolleyes:
    Especially with that farm it would be drier than my own.

I wonder why they did it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    They'll be feeding that silage to the cows.
    There's no rain forecast in the next 7 days now only this drying wind.:rolleyes:
    Especially with that farm it would be drier than my own.

I wonder why they did it?:confused:

prb jack the lad told them to do it

• Advertisement

prb jack the lad told them to do it

There's a manager and then a cowhand.
    I know they have "advisors" too but at the end of the day it's up to the manager.
    Or I am I mistaken?

Time will tell I suppose whether it was the right decision.
    Nobody died I suppose anyway.:p

Advertisement