Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They may have just take a gamble on rain coming, have they silage ground to graze if they get tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    They may have just take a gamble on rain coming, have they silage ground to graze if they get tight?

If there's silage on the platform, that farm is understocked, underutilized.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

'Platform' is sooo last year. The best dairy farmers collectively refer to their cow paddocks as the grazing 'plinth.'

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Dwag

Muckit wrote: »
    'Platform' is sooo last year. The best dairy farmers collectively refer to their cow paddocks as the grazing 'plinth.'

Lmao!

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I know its not a very relevant figure but how do you calculate fresh weight per ha of silage? So I weighed a field and it was 650g so working it out at 17% dm I have 4420 kg dm /ha - but how many tonnes of grass going into the pit does this equate to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

Signpost wrote: »
    I know its not a very relevant figure but how do you calculate fresh weight per ha of silage? So I weighed a field and it was 650g so working it out at 17% dm I have 4420 kg dm /ha - but how many tonnes of grass going into the pit does this equate to?

4420 divided by .17 equals 26000 kgs fresh weight grass per ha or 26 tons

26 diveded by 2.471 equals 10.52 tons fresh weight per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Thanks a million, I spent far too long trying to figure that out rather than just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    There's a manager and then a cowhand.
    I know they have "advisors" too but at the end of the day it's up to the manager.
    Or I am I mistaken?

Time will tell I suppose whether it was the right decision.
    Nobody died I suppose anyway.:p

It's a good decision now after the rain

As of tonight we've mowed 50% of the total farm. It's either in the pit or bales with 28% on the deck for baling tomorrow afternoon. Has to be one of the most perfect grass years to date. We've 6 tonne grown on the MP as of today.

Happy with that and a load of hi quality bales in the stack. Can't beat measuring IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

It's a good decision now after the rain

I was looking at that post and for a few seconds I thought someone else was after using my boards name. :p

• Advertisement

As of tonight we've mowed 50% of the total farm. It's either in the pit or bales with 28% on the deck for baling tomorrow afternoon. Has to be one of the most perfect grass years to date. We've 6 tonne grown on the MP as of today.

Happy with that and a load of hi quality bales in the stack. Can't beat measuring IMO.

Phuck me il be lucky to have six tonne grown by end of june. What things have you learned over time to be achieving high tonnes the way ye do? Obviously measuring important but many of us who do still cant get near that level of growth? Is it fertilisation, Grass varity, Sr, location?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

5.84 tonne up to Sunday. Similar to yourself, half overall farm mowed , baled and pit,but only 20% of the mp baled. Stocked at 4.4 and doing a full round of premowing this round. Hit solids slightly but litres have held. Need to get the stubble down as residuals were creeping up to 300, legacy of poor graze outs during wet weather.

Dissapointed this round grass grew a stem on me after what i thought were good cleanouts, yield and protein took a hit, yield back up now but will be topping after a few paddocks and also putting a number of paddocks into pit, will temp increase stocking rate to 5,. I assume a bit of 'drought' stress followed by rapid growth brought on the extra stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

How is everyone managing these high growth rates struggling to keep pregrazing covers right. Cows are in aftergrass from baling 12 days ago which is 1700 already. We have grown 2 ton in the last 2 weeks here

trixi2011 wrote: »
    How is everyone managing these high growth rates struggling to keep pregrazing covers right. Cows are in aftergrass from baling 12 days ago which is 1700 already. We have grown 2 ton in the last 2 weeks here

I guess up stocking rate and stagger the cutting and cut straight away instead of building cover on them so that if growth slows the whole lot won't be out at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

30% of the grazing area being mowed today. Baled this evening. No prospect of wilting. Rain forecast for overnight. Not sure if I'm taking out enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

30% of the grazing area being mowed today. Baled this evening. No prospect of wilting. Rain forecast for overnight. Not sure if I'm taking out enough tbh.

Cutting 20% here knocked this moring, should have knocked it yesterday, will be baled around 8 this evening.
    Savage growth, keeping quality is the issue now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well if that's what you are thinking, then you really do need to take out another paddock. Should be nearly scared taking out stuff.

It is peak grass growth time though and in my limited experience, you'll always regret taking out too little than too much.

Muckit wrote: »
    Well if that's what you are thinking, then you really do need to take out another paddock. Should be nearly scared taking out stuff.

It is peak grass growth time though and in my limited experience, you'll always regret taking out too little than too much.

I know but 30% is a lot. Cutting second cut in next ten days so if I under shoot I'll get to take up the slack then. We've all only got limited experience of this type of management muckit and no two years are the same. We made very few bales last year.

Cut out more
    Drive till you run out of diesel or it looks like cows won't have grass by Tues.
    I've never seem consistent growth like this

• Advertisement

It's great day here grass was wet when it was cut this morning, lads just after raking unbelievable how's it's dried in a few hours. I could be on a 14 day round and covers would be still going strong.
    I should have been a bit braver 10 days ago.

When ye say ye have cut x% of the mp, what stocking rate would that put ye at at that point in time? Take 2 cuts of silage off furthest fields here so normally at 4.2 for all summer. Week ahead looks broken I'd say most bales will be cut and bales the one day

Cut out more
    Drive till you run out of diesel or it looks like cows won't have grass by Tues.
    I've never seem consistent growth like this

Ended up at around 40% and I'm still not sure if I should have gone another bit. To answer mooo it doesn't change sr at all. It was all available to graze this morning technically and all back in the rotation tomorrow morning.

Acting fast enough is the area I need to improve on and as ye say taking out a bit more than you think you should do was just asking how far would ye push it I guess. Was planning on pitting some but given forecast I'd it'll be bales

Acting fast enough is the area I need to improve on and as ye say taking out a bit more than you think you should do was just asking how far would ye push it I guess. Was planning on pitting some but given forecast I'd it'll be bales

We measure Mon am and Thurs am in this growth. We then now based on these results. Aim to keep cover sub 150 per cow.

Sr doesn't change as all MP is counted and available

ted_182 wrote: »
    Phuck me il be lucky to have six tonne grown by end of june. What things have you learned over time to be achieving high tonnes the way ye do? Obviously measuring important but many of us who do still cant get near that level of growth? Is it fertilisation, Grass varity, Sr, location?

Land type, can graze any day
    Soil Fertility. We are anal about p&k, lime and in particular compaction. I was reared growing sugar beet, wheat and barley so got a great grounding in soil care and health.

The big one is the grazing management and the number of grazings per paddock. We do not agree with the 10 April for end of first round, it's too late. We aim the be started second round by end of March usually 26-29th.

This can lead to a bumpy ride in second round but we will feed bales at this te and it's usually a short period.

Number of grazings per paddock I'd critical IMO. We are on grazing no5 and some are on no6. We won't lock up any long term silage on MP, rather maintain St at about 3.8-4. I don't get the point of closing 29% long term feeding extra nuts to milkers trying to maintain a high sr in order to make silage for dry cows.

Lastly, a healthy level of debt helps to concentrate the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Iv paddocks gone strongish, which is worse chancing a wilt and getting rain. Or bringing in a couple of hours after mowing?

Land type, can graze any day
    Soil Fertility. We are anal about p&k, lime and in particular compaction. I was reared growing sugar beet, wheat and barley so got a great grounding in soil care and health.

The big one is the grazing management and the number of grazings per paddock. We do not agree with the 10 April for end of first round, it's too late. We aim the be started second round by end of March usually 26-29th.

This can lead to a bumpy ride in second round but we will feed bales at this te and it's usually a short period.

Number of grazings per paddock I'd critical IMO. We are on grazing no5 and some are on no6. We won't lock up any long term silage on MP, rather maintain St at about 3.8-4. I don't get the point of closing 29% long term feeding extra nuts to milkers trying to maintain a high sr in order to make silage for dry cows.

Lastly, a healthy level of debt helps to concentrate the mind.

Do you use a strip wire when do No 5/6 grazings? Or just keep a bit at the back to settle them for last grazing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

visatorro wrote: »
    Iv paddocks gone strongish, which is worse chancing a wilt and getting rain. Or bringing in a couple of hours after mowing?

Mow it and bale it later ,Tedd it if u can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Do you use a strip wire when do No 5/6 grazings? Or just keep a bit at the back to settle them for last grazing?

I'd say it more like 5/6 grazing since start of year ?

I think you mis understand me.

The paddocks are on their 5/6 th round

Strip wire only used here in spring or when building in back end. We hate break fences and use as little as posdible, very hard to fully feed cows with them

I think you mis understand me.

The paddocks are on their 5/6 th round

Strip wire only used here in spring or when building in back end. We hate break fences and use as little as posdible, very hard to fully feed cows with them
    I'd of said same till we left stans place last year ,12 hour blocks constant and cows def not underfed a man at top of his game tho .
    I'm in same boat as u tho strip wires only early and late in year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Cut 5 paddocks last night only 15 days growing all weighing over 2 ton closed what I had planned to bale for 2nd cut silage another 5 paddocks going into grass that was cut for silage 9 days ago. Could do with stocking the mp higher but infrastructure and parlour at maximum as is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Skipped a further 2 paddocks after Mondays cover walk. 4 of 27 paddocks now closed waiting for weather. However had to move cows on to new ground just before lunch, as utilisation is deteriorating very rapidly, very poor over last 3 days.
    Reckon we will.have to go back and graze some of the closed ground at this rate.
    Would hate to think we could need to employ on/off techniques....horrible thought for week 6 of breeding...

alps wrote: »
    Skipped a further 2 paddocks after Mondays cover walk. 4 of 27 paddocks now closed waiting for weather. However had to move cows on to new ground just before lunch, as utilisation is deteriorating very rapidly, very poor over last 3 days.
    Reckon we will.have to go back and graze some of the closed ground at this rate.
    Would hate to think we could need to employ on/off techniques....horrible thought for week 6 of breeding...
    Horrible thought for first week June !!!!,very happy I cut Tuesday and baled yesterday ,parlour washings now going out ,grass flying even though at a cover of 110 per cow ,savage year for grass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Horrible thought for first week June !!!!,very happy I cut Tuesday and baled yesterday ,parlour washings now going out ,grass flying even though at a cover of 110 per cow ,savage year for grass

Getting to look very like 2012 when the weather broke on may bank holiday and didn't take up till late spring 2013

Looks like drying a bit start of week. Ground soft here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

rangler1 wrote: »
    Getting to look very like 2012 when the weather broke on may bank holiday and didn't take up till late spring 2013

Ah go way would ya.:D

Fortnights time and ye''ll be crying out for rain.

Not even a close relation of 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Paddock grazing I've lost control,baling not an option lipp in Glas can't top till 1st of July.
    Strip graze?

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    Paddock grazing I've lost control,baling not an option lipp in Glas can't top till 1st of July.
    Strip graze?

Guess it's all you can do if you can't cut it. Use older stock don't pressure young stock

mahoney_j wrote: »

Not even a close relation of 2012

Spot on, lots of high quality feed made in may. And looks like it's drier after Saturday.
    Cows on reclaimed bog at the moment and getting away fine.
    The long dry spells really help drainage and ground is able to take the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Looking at 7 day forecast for ye it's back to low 20's next week after last splash at weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

36% of the grazing block skipped over for silage at the min, putting the SR at 4cows/ha. Aim is to take half that out as leafy bales next dry spell, defo will have well enough leafy bales then, but could do with some more steamy stuff for the Drys. Should I lob another bag of can on that and wait, or just take the whole lot out if a decent dry spell comes?

Timmaay wrote: »
    36% of the grazing block skipped over for silage at the min, putting the SR at 4cows/ha. Aim is to take half that out as leafy bales next dry spell, defo will have well enough leafy bales then, but could do with some more steamy stuff for the Drys. Should I lob another bag of can on that and wait, or just take the whole lot out if a decent dry spell comes?
    Take it all out soon as ,yourcland is drought prone so leaving it.bulk up could come back to bite u fairly quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I said wrote: »
    Strip graze?

Pack them in tight and move as close to daily as you can, aim for probably only 50-60% utilisation depending on how strong it's gone.
    Call it mob grazing if you want to be trendy!

Timmaay wrote: »

Why set out to make bad silage. It's of no benefit. Paddock bales are iffy enough anyway besides making poorer quality on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

Why set out to make bad silage. It's of no benefit. Paddock bales are iffy enough anyway besides making poorer quality on purpose.

its about taking the grass out to allow the paddock to grow grazing, not the quality of the silage

PMU wrote: »
    its about taking the grass out to allow the paddock to grow grazing, not the quality of the silage

Yes you're right. Tom was considering leaving some paddocks grow on for a while to take a big cut of bulky stuff.

Just an observation but...
    Ive recently heard a good few farmers say cows are dropping in milk, i have seen it with my own too, the reason? Drop in intakes, why? Cows here would be on an all you can eat offering with more often than not having their cleanout grazing every fouth time(ie a 48hr allocation of grass)but when they come into that fourth/fifth rotation then there is quiet abit of waste around dungpaths etc which imv is leading to a drop in intakes, i just wanted to get yer thoughts on this. Dare i say the t word but should we look at topping a percent of the farm in mid may to have better quality in swards in june? They way i see it is, growth starts to take off and while a fella might get say 20 30 40 whatever percent of the farm baled as surplus(which is without doubt by and far the best way of having quality grass on said paddocks in subsecent rounds) it could be end of june or even july, if even, that quality can be rectified on the rest of the farm which as i say imv is having a knock on effect on milk production. Topping seems to be the work of the devil nowadays but could it be done in a pro avtive way earlier in the year ie certain percentage after second round and certain percent after third round( done early when swards are still fairly clean so as to minimise actual waste.) Thoughts and experiences?

• Advertisement
Advertisement