Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I try to be really aggressive taking bales to get as much of the ground cut as possible, even with that there are also a few paddocks that get away. I prefer to premow over topping as you dont hit regrowths as much and your not wasting feed. the disadvantage is your making cows eat a % of rubbish.
    I dont think topping a few paddocks is the end of the world and is probably needed on most farms.
    The topping we carried out years ago with side mounted toppers after 2-3 rotations was nonsense as we wasted feed and didnt even clean out swards properly and we weren't cutting low enough. i think a lot of the criticisms of topping comes from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah here, top away the fook. Anything that hasn't been mowed has been topped, and a few paddocks have been topped twice because of weeds. Yep you do knock back regrowth topping moreso than mowing, but when growth rates are well in excess of demand then why should that matter.

I'll admit the cows not Milking as well as hoped at the min, peaking at 25l, usually hit 26 or 27l, protein back around 3.4, when it should be 3.5 consistently now. Bf has stayed above 4 however, would drop back to 3.6 some yrs after the fresh flush of grass. Only thing I can think of is grass has been slightly ahead of me most the last month, due to me not taking out enough paddocks (threat of a drought in early may, then wet as fook since), so pgc more like 1800 rather than 1400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ted_182 wrote: »
    Just an observation but...
    Ive recently heard a good few farmers say cows are dropping in milk, i have seen it with my own too, the reason? Drop in intakes, why? Cows here would be on an all you can eat offering with more often than not having their cleanout grazing every fouth time(ie a 48hr allocation of grass)but when they come into that fourth/fifth rotation then there is quiet abit of waste around dungpaths etc which imv is leading to a drop in intakes, i just wanted to get yer thoughts on this. Dare i say the t word but should we look at topping a percent of the farm in mid may to have better quality in swards in june? They way i see it is, growth starts to take off and while a fella might get say 20 30 40 whatever percent of the farm baled as surplus(which is without doubt by and far the best way of having quality grass on said paddocks in subsecent rounds) it could be end of june or even july, if even, that quality can be rectified on the rest of the farm which as i say imv is having a knock on effect on milk production. Topping seems to be the work of the devil nowadays but could it be done in a pro avtive way earlier in the year ie certain percentage after second round and certain percent after third round( done early when swards are still fairly clean so as to minimise actual waste.) Thoughts and experiences?

I think the key is flexibility and not expecting anything to run the same way year to year at this time. Two years ago we were baling in late Apr, then first cut around the 10th of May with more bales in the latter half of May. Loads of aftergrass coming in stages. This year like yourself looking back at it a bit of judicious topping earlier might have left us in better order over the past ten days. Bad weather since the first of Jun hasn't helped but we've stopped the rot now and are starting to get a bit of a lift. We did top a few paddocks a fortnight ago and just back into them now with aftergrass from baled paddocks to come next. You have to play heads up football all the time and react to what is actually happening rather than what you think/have been told should be happening. Every time you don't you get caught. We did and it was disheartening there for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

There is another simple answer. The cows are going back in milk production because they're going in calf. It happens every year at this time of year.
    (Well if you're spring calving).

Don't put your cows incalf.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Know nothing about dairying but drove up through tipp and kilkenny and almost every dairy herd i passed were grazing meadows most of which I'd say was only grazed once this year. This stuff would be poor silage never mind grazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know nothing about dairying but drove up through tipp and kilkenny and almost every dairy herd i passed were grazing meadows most of which I'd say was only grazed once this year. This stuff would be poor silage never mind grazing

Ah shir them lads up there don't know how to do grass at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

ted_182 wrote: »
    Just an observation but...
    Ive recently heard a good few farmers say cows are dropping in milk, i have seen it with my own too, the reason? Drop in intakes, why? Cows here would be on an all you can eat offering with more often than not having their cleanout grazing every fouth time(ie a 48hr allocation of grass)but when they come into that fourth/fifth rotation then there is quiet abit of waste around dungpaths etc which imv is leading to a drop in intakes, i just wanted to get yer thoughts on this. Dare i say the t word but should we look at topping a percent of the farm in mid may to have better quality in swards in june? They way i see it is, growth starts to take off and while a fella might get say 20 30 40 whatever percent of the farm baled as surplus(which is without doubt by and far the best way of having quality grass on said paddocks in subsecent rounds) it could be end of june or even july, if even, that quality can be rectified on the rest of the farm which as i say imv is having a knock on effect on milk production. Topping seems to be the work of the devil nowadays but could it be done in a pro avtive way earlier in the year ie certain percentage after second round and certain percent after third round( done early when swards are still fairly clean so as to minimise actual waste.) Thoughts and experiences?

We've aggressively taken out bales and are topping some paddocks 30% this round. I can't see what's wrong with maintaining pasture quality.

All paddocks need a mower before mid June every year be it topping or silage, it's just the nature of grass and it's in built program to reproduce

Anyone else's growth gone to sh1t with all this lovely weather and a lack of ehhh hmmm moisture...

Was always told there is a dip in growth after grass heads out, id say growth is around 60 at the moment here, well back on 100+ we were getting a couple of weeks ago.
    we had an nice bit of rain here last week so moisture wouldn't be an issue here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

yewtree wrote: »
    Was always told there is a dip in growth after grass heads out, id say growth is around 60 at the moment here, well back on 100+ we were getting a couple of weeks ago.
    we had an nice bit of rain here last week so moisture wouldn't be an issue here yet.
    Growth is good here atm but could really do with a drop of moisture to kick it on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Growth is good here atm but could really do with a drop of moisture to kick it on again.
    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone else's growth gone to sh1t with all this lovely weather and a lack of ehhh hmmm moisture...

Just by looking we would be concerned as there is a stressed look about paddocks, but plate meter has it at 86 for the past week....so no point using it if we can't go by it...driving on..

Silage in, drop of rain now would be mighty. Have to top after paddocks, forcing cows to graze the stemmy stuff has an immediate hit on yield. Aftergrass will be delayed from silage field also but will have 4 or 5 days worth of aftergrass in next round hopefully from strong paddocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We put calves into re seeding today. Sown second of May. Only ready for calves now. We re sited a water trough when they were in and I sent the second lad down to clean it out when the cows were started. He was taking a bit longer than expected and I went out to see if he was ok. I could see he was after getting the jeep slightly jammed up. I couldn't get down to him for a while and when I got there he had unfcuked himself. He was hoarse and in a ball of sweat and he was definitely after using all of his words but no damage. You can't teach lessons like that they have to be learned, usually the hard way.

Buffer feeding starting tonight to slow down the rotation. We need rain...

• Advertisement

Lads and lassies, just a heads up.

The Irish Grassland Dairy Summer Tour is next Tuesday 25 July. It hosted on 2 farms one in KK and the other across the border in Cw.

The reason I'm posting is because the focus is on leasing land for dairying. One guy is 100% leased and the other at 50%. The striking thing is how cash hungry these fast growing business can be.

It may interest a few here but beware it's almost fully booked so you'd need to get cracking if considering attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

7 ton grow to date from 166 units of n, good , bad, any thoughts? Ive made an effort this year to try and reduce n spread but is it false economy, mp SR is 2.96 winter fodder is harvested on outside block

Measured GR of only 30 for the last 2wks, demand 43, but the cover/LU has stayed up around 220 lol, so no bales needed. I'm finding cows are moving alot slower through covers that I had put say 1100 on, does anyone else find that during very dry weather when the grass appears to be only say a cover of 1100 its actually 1500? Very welcome few showery days here, should tip things along very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Timmaay wrote: »
    Measured GR of only 30 for the last 2wks, demand 43, but the cover/LU has stayed up around 220 lol, so no bales needed. I'm finding cows are moving alot slower through covers that I had put say 1100 on, does anyone else find that during very dry weather when the grass appears to be only say a cover of 1100 its actually 1500? Very welcome few showery days here, should tip things along very nicely.
    Dry matter is much higher in drought

Started off great last year but pretty much stopped at may. Try and get a full year this year though.

Measured today AFC is 620. Few fields drier than i thought so maybe some fertiliser will be put out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I notice nobody has started "grasswatch 2018" or did i miss it 😄

K.G. wrote: »
    I notice nobody has started "grasswatch 2018" or did i miss it ��

Movie didn't start yet...

I think I'll change the thread title to The Grass Measuring Thread so we will have all the info in one thread and can continue to use it.

All we need now is grass growth to measure:p

I think I'll change the thread title to The Grass Measuring Thread so we will have all the info in one thread and can continue to use it.

All we need now is grass growth to measure:p

What's the dm when it's submerged:(

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's the dm when it's submerged:(
    -0% I imagine with poor prospects of improving in the short term.

And were off......REEEEEEGROOOWTH...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

I used to go by %DM when grass measuring but this year I've changed to using height of grass instead of weight. It's probably not as accurate but it's speedy. The one thing I'm finding hard is the Kg of DM/ CM of height. I can't find a guide to what figure to use. Any advice?

einn32 wrote: »
    I used to go by %DM when grass measuring but this year I've changed to using height of grass instead of weight. It's probably not as accurate but it's speedy. The one thing I'm finding hard is the Kg of DM/ CM of height. I can't find a guide to what figure to use. Any advice?

its 250 kg dm in 1 cm, more in dense sheep grazed swards.

Walked farm all ground still wet. Apologies no figures. Grass grazed coming back well enough. Grass grazed late last year with weanlings coming on as well. Got slurry + bag of urea. Proper wet ground got no fert or slurry so is just yellow but can't get into it. If weather picks up soon I can see a scenario here where in the next two weeks where I'll be baling ground and feeding silage the same day just due to the area coming in with the same cover and other parts still drying out

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Anyone know how I’d go about getting herbage analysis done on grass? And what’s involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

JOAT wrote: »
    Anyone know how I’d go about getting herbage analysis done on grass? And what’s involved?

Not sure what part of the country you're in but IAS bagnelstown do tissue testing.
    Yara do it as well I think?

I've never got it done myself so not much help otherwise.

I think it has to be done soon after sample is taken from field. Best give one if the labs a shout

Growth 66.
    Demand 61.
    Magic day!...savage growth. Soon be cutting silage at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Growth 66.
    Demand 61.
    Magic day!...savage growth. Soon be cutting silage at this rate

You wouldn’t want to be around mayo I seen warmer days in January. I think the grass went back into the ground today

You wouldn’t want to be around mayo I seen warmer days in January. I think the grass went back into the ground today

Really? Im in south mayo! In a shirt all day. Raining now though

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

After the thunder, torrential rain and hailstone this morning I went for a walk with the dog to clear the head. Covers are growing well but no hope of getting into my wetter ground for at least 2 more weeks. What kind of quality would be bales be if cutting off grass growing since last November? I imagine by mid May I should have 2500 / 3000 covers in that ground so be worthless for feeding but would be of some benefit if I could get it back into the rotation in a nice quality.

Signpost wrote: »
    After the thunder, torrential rain and hailstone this morning I went for a walk with the dog to clear the head. Covers are growing well but no hope of getting into my wetter ground for at least 2 more weeks. What kind of quality would be bales be if cutting off grass growing since last November? I imagine by mid May I should have 2500 / 3000 covers in that ground so be worthless for feeding but would be of some benefit if I could get it back into the rotation in a nice quality.

Same boat here with 20 acres that was reclaimed last Sept. Never got to spray or graze it. I've decided to mow it when ground conditions allow. Feck all else we can do. If cover doesn't get too heavy it shoild make good bales but with the weather we're having it could be dry ow silage yet. Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Anyone on here have the grasshopper grass measuring unit .... currently just cutting and weighing going to buy a platemeter now though ... came across grasshopper seems right handy the way you can upload everything to pasturebase straight away .... also if i did go for the grasshopper i could do a bit of grass measuring on the side for other lads as it would make it very easy just want to see what anyone with one thinks of it

Mf310 wrote: »
    Anyone on here have the grasshopper grass measuring unit .... currently just cutting and weighing going to buy a platemeter now though ... came across grasshopper seems right handy the way you can upload everything to pasturebase straight away .... also if i did go for the grasshopper i could do a bit of grass measuring on the side for other lads as it would make it very easy just want to see what anyone with one thinks of it

What will a plate meter tell you that cut and weigh won't?

Plate meters not accurate in high covers

Plate meters very accurate if measuring residuals but so are cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mf310 wrote: »

Tried in vain to buy one but it seems the company marketing it aren’t up to much since ploughing last September I’ve 4 different calls made and 4 different demos organized which amounted to no shows or no call back on there behalf .seem like complete amateurs .if sales is this bad what would product back up be like ???.not cheap either at circa 1500 .on paper it sounds like a serious piece of kit tho .

Moved to plate meter for the last 2 seasons.....

Since then..

We've grown more grass, and the cows demand has increased by a corresponding amount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Tried in vain to buy one but it seems the company marketing it aren’t up to much since ploughing last September I’ve 4 different calls made and 4 different demos organized which amounted to no shows or no call back on there behalf .seem like complete amateurs .if sales is this bad what would product back up be like ???.not cheap either at circa 1500 .on paper it sounds like a serious piece of kit tho .

Bought a digital plate metre off a company in UK. Saved about €200 on buying it here. Called them had it in three days. I find it great I measure the grass as quick as I can walk. If you want their details PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jbyrne01

As a wise man once said to me if you can not go out to a field and know how much grass is in it by just casting your eye over it. Are you really a. Farmer..

Jbyrne01 wrote: »
    As a wise man once said to me if you can not go out to a field and know how much grass is in it by just casting your eye over it. Are you really a. Farmer..

Easy know how much grass in a field but acrosa farm it gives an indication if you have to apply more nitrogen,cut more silage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jbyrne01

Easy know how much grass in a field but acrosa farm it gives an indication if you have to apply more nitrogen,cut more silage etc.

Well Ud want no tape at d moment for measuring anyway an dats for sure and certain

• Advertisement

Your 'wise man' is dead right, the worst farms I have been on are the idiots who grass measure or try to manage grass. The lads who set stock and do the same thing every year are really getting on around here. From my experience the less effort you put in to something the better the results.

Well Ud want no tape at d moment for measuring anyway an dats for sure and certain

I'd say the polar opposite on most farms around here, plenty covers of 2000+, but just were to wet to graze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What gr are you estimating at the moment? Gone from light covers to mad in a few days here. Ground that got about 15 t of dung in the back end and a few bags last week really jumping into life. Clover starting to reastablish by itself.

Growth 67
    Demand 61
    10 days ahead.
    Sr 3.9
    150 cover/ lu
    600 avg farm cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Growth 67
    Demand 61
    10 days ahead.
    Sr 3.9
    150 cover/ lu
    600 avg farm cover.

At 140 here ,paddocks knocked and debating wether I should go lower .grass growing over 100 last 3 days .better be brave than sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement