Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to play mkv files

• 11-01-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering how most people deal with mkv files which are becoming increasingly common.
    Sometimes changing the suffix to MP4 is enough but often the file is unplayable. I've tried various converters without much success.
    I have a PS3, Roku 3 and my Panasonic Bluray recorder also has playback facilities.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just a media player which it seems you already have. In my case I'm using an Nvidia Shield and a Dune Solo 4K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

SachaJ wrote: »
    Just a media player which it seems you already have. In my case I'm using an Nvidia Shield and a Dune Solo 4K.

None of them seem to handle mkv very well. Other formats are fine.

None of them seem to handle mkv very well. Other formats are fine.

Ah ok. Are you looking for something to just play MKV's or to scrape artwork and stuff like that also?

This is a great resource:
    https://www.avforums.com/forums/network-video-streamers.332/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

vlc player is yer man....

SachaJ wrote: »
    Ah ok. Are you looking for something to just play MKV's or to scrape artwork and stuff like that also?

This is a great resource:
    https://www.avforums.com/forums/network-video-streamers.332/

Just play it on the TV. I'll have a look at that link. Thanks.

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    vlc player is yer man....

That's fine and sometimes I'm reduced to casting from my laptop. But even playing mkv files through Chrome is problematic. Generally, if you change the extension to mp4 it'll play but sometimes when you open them in Chrome it doesn't recognise the format and just downloads them.
    The latest vlc beta has a chrome client but I don't find it that good. It failed to cast an mkv file I had downloaded.

Just found this:

I knew about ffmpeg but hadn't really played with it.
    Came across this batch file -

for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 384000 -sn -strict -2 "%%~na.mp4"

Which converts to mp4 and it seems to work and doesn't take too long. It may be the best way to go.

Hi

Just wondering how most people deal with mkv files which are becoming increasingly common.
    Sometimes changing the suffix to MP4 is enough but often the file is unplayable. I've tried various converters without much success.
    I have a PS3, Roku 3 and my Panasonic Bluray recorder also has playback facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Not sure why you would want to convert mkv's as they have been fine for years with most players such as Vlc or klite codec with media player classic.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Not sure why you would want to convert mkv's as they have been fine for years with most players such as Vlc or klite codec with media player classic.

I have no problem playing them on PC with VLC or similar but none of my media players handle them well.
    Google Chrome doesn't play them 100% so it's sometimes impossible to send them to Chromecast too.

Spoke too soon. None of the media players will play the resulting MP4 file and neither will Chrome.
    Just found this:

I knew about ffmpeg but hadn't really played with it.
    Came across this batch file -

for %%a in ("*.mkv") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 384000 -sn -strict -2 "%%~na.mp4"

Which converts to mp4 and it seems to work and doesn't take too long. It may be the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

That's fine and sometimes I'm reduced to casting from my laptop. But even playing mkv files through Chrome is problematic. Generally, if you change the extension to mp4 it'll play but sometimes when you open them in Chrome it doesn't recognise the format and just downloads them.
    The latest vlc beta has a chrome client but I don't find it that good. It failed to cast an mkv file I had downloaded.

Pardon my ignorance, but "just downloads them" where?

Are you open to buying a new media player?

For me the Dune Solo 4K (or the Lite) will play them. The Amazon Fire TV will play them from installed VLC or with Kodi sideloaded or the Plex client (you can use your PC for the Plex server). Nvidia Shield either. I've never used an external hard drive with them though. Everything I have is on a NAS.

If it's any good to you I have my Mede8er 1000X3D for sale on Adverts. 100 euro for the player or extra if you want the 3TB internal hard drive I have for it. It's been solid for any MKV's I've thrown at it and stunning picture quality. http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/mede8er-1000x3d-media-player-with-2tb-hard-drive/10557258

exaisle wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but "just downloads them" where?

Into Chrome's download folder. It's like it doesn't recognise the format even though the extension is MP4. It doesn't know how to treat it so it just downloads it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I use Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and it has never refused to play a file and most of them are mkv. What software is on your media players?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Folks,

Happy to see technical discussion of what plays what, but please take a friendly word of warning - this thread should not stray into the questionable area of downloads.

/ Mod Hat Off.

On a personal note, I use Kodi as a movie library and player, its available for practically every media player platform and in my experience it plays practically everything, as does MP HC. I think the OP's problem might stem from Chrome. If you really want a problem-free media playing, I'd recommend investing in a new player - there are many new bluray players on the market which will play media files as wel, a quick look through the user manuals available online will point you in the right direction. I have a recent Sony bluray player and it plays most (but not all) files with ease.

Ritz.

One of your cheapest options is probably an RPi as mentioned above and put this on the SD card.
    https://libreelec.tv/

Never used it myself but heard lots of recommendations for it.

Advertisement