Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI issue

Options
  • 11-01-2017 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Bought a new bed for son, he paid with his debit student card. Put card into machine in shop. Registered void. Unusual, as funds were very healthy indeed.
    I rang BOI 365 with my son to see what had happened. I was informed that my son's account had been debited, and that the merchant was paid. They were able to tell me the name of the shop and the exact amount. Shop says, his account never received the money. What happened here, can anyone tell me? I am going to visit branch later, tried to set up appointment, but there was a problem with the site, when I tried to book appointment online
    I think BOI has gone to hell, and I do not feel secure anymore. Other issues have occurred with my credit card, and I am seriously questioning security. Cannot even ring branch directly. Always diverts to 365. Service is a disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The branch will not talk to you about the account as it's your sons. Get him to call them or visit a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

My son suffers from autism, so I will need to be there. Call them... everytime I call the branch, it automatically goes to the 365 phone banking service.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

My son suffers from autism, so I will need to be there. Call them... everytime I call the branch, it automatically goes to the 365 phone banking service.

I had reason to call my local B of I branch yesterday. You have to go through a maze of options within options but I did eventually get to speak to someone in the branch who was very helpful with my query. Are you sure you are picking the right options when you are asked to choose which option you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Talk to..Bank of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Talk to..Bank of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Apparently, because it was an unusual transaction, it was somehow flagged, and impeded funds being transferred to the merchant. Also, transaction was done via a student debit card, so there may also be a fund limit on how much students can spend in one day, either via atm or through card machine in a shop. This all then resulted in a 'shadow' transaction, where the funds were taken out, not transferred to merchant, then bounced back to original customer account! Lady in-branch still could not tell me for sure, only could tell me via a statement that the money was taken out, then back into account. Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Apparently, because it was an unusual transaction, it was somehow flagged, and impeded funds being transferred to the merchant. Also, transaction was done via a student debit card, so there may also be a fund limit on how much students can spend in one day, either via atm or through card machine in a shop. This all then resulted in a 'shadow' transaction, where the funds were taken out, not transferred to merchant, then bounced back to original customer account! Lady in-branch still could not tell me for sure, only could tell me via a statement that the money was taken out, then back into account. Crazy!
    Hi picturehangup, I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Our card security team will sometimes flag card transactions as a fraud prevention measure. If you need to get in touch with our card security team at any stage, you can reach them directly on ph. 01 4885466.

I’m sorry again for any inconvenience caused by this, please let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks
    Nicola

Advertisement