Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academic references

• 11-01-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

When asking a lecturer for an academic reference for my PAC application, do I ask them to send the completed form back to me, or to submit the reference on my behalf? Isn't it awkward that they've filled out this form on your academic standing and then send it back to you for you to have a nosy through?
    I do need all my supporting documents to be uploaded together at the same time so I need the form sent back to me, I'm just a bit awkward about asking for it to be sent back as he said "let me know where I need to submit this"....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Someone with more recent experience might be able to better answer your question, but the last time I applied through PAC (in 2011), I had to send hard copies of my supporting documents by post. As far as I remember, academic referees were asked to return their forms in a sealed envelope, so I never saw what they said.

I think what might happen now is that when you complete the PAC application and fill in your academic referees' email addresses, the system generates automatic emails to them with instructions on how to submit their references.

Again, someone with more recent experience would be better placed to advise you. Is there anything in the PAC FAQs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The lecturers send the references directly. You just have to fill out the forms and notify them. You never get access to the references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The lecturers send the references directly. You just have to fill out the forms and notify them. You never get access to the references.

But you can now upload your supporting documents online you don't need to send them by post anymore. So in order to submit all my documents together surely I'll need the references sent back to me?

anna080 wrote: »
    But you can now upload your supporting documents online you don't need to send them by post anymore. So in order to submit all my documents together surely I'll need the references sent back to me?

When I was doing it, the lecturers or Professors sent the references themselves and I just uploaded my own stuff separately. I never got to see my references. I don't know if your case is different maybe due to different disciplines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When I was doing it, the lecturers or Professors sent the references themselves and I just uploaded my own stuff separately. I never got to see my references. I don't know if your case is different maybe due to different disciplines.

Thanks. I've since sorted it and they are going to post the references themselves and I'll upload all my other documents myself. Would have been handy to have all the documents together with my application but however.

• Advertisement

I know, it's a hassle. I don't think they want the student to see the reference. However, you possibly know it's positive anyway due to who you chose to ask. Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I know, it's a hassle. I don't think they want the student to see the reference. However, you possibly know it's positive anyway due to who you chose to ask. Good luck :)

If I remember correctly they're not allowed to give negative references. Is that right? Maybe it's just etiquette. I would hope that they'd just refuse to give you a reference in that case.

But there'd be degrees of positivity for sure.

I would say so depending on your grades and participation, attendance etc. If you just pissed about then that might be a different story. I think you're right, they would refuse rather than giving something bad.

Advertisement