Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland no longer accepting cash lodgements at the counter?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I wish to confirm something.
    Just before Christmas I had a cheque to lodge. So I queued for the cashier, only to be told that they couldn't lodge it and I had to queue at the even longer queue for the machine. Not happy, but queued anyway and got the cheque lodged.
    I was given some cash over Christmas. Go into the branch today, go to the two free cashiers and they won't take cash either. I have to queue at the machine again to lodge the cash.

Therefore, my question is this:

Is it bank policy now to force users to use the machines, even where there are two cashiers free?

Comments

as I understand it, Richie boucher tried to introduce this and was forced to row back owing to the pensioners and the likes. I'd have told them I'm not moving until they take it!!! end of story!

also don't accept or presume its policy. make them tell you it is and go to the local TD and or media as this was a huge climb down for big mouth boucher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

The cashier told me it was policy, introduced last year via notices in the branches and notices in the newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

endagibson wrote: »
    I wish to confirm something.
    Just before Christmas I had a cheque to lodge. So I queued for the cashier, only to be told that they couldn't lodge it and I had to queue at the even longer queue for the machine. Not happy, but queued anyway and got the cheque lodged.
    I was given some cash over Christmas. Go into the branch today, go to the two free cashiers and they won't take cash either. I have to queue at the machine again to lodge the cash.

Therefore, my question is this:

Is it bank policy now to force users to use the machines, even where there are two cashiers free?
    Hi endagibson, thanks for getting in touch.

We’ve a number of self service options available in our branches and this would include our lodgement machines which are used to make cash or cheque lodgements within certain limits.

You can use the machines if you’re withdrawing up to €700 or for lodgements of up to €3,000 cash (per lodgement). You can also lodge up to 15 cheques at a time through the lodgement ATM.

Any customers who aren’t comfortable using self-service options will be of course be assisted by branch staff to use the available services.

We issued a press release in November 2015 in relation to these changes and this can be viewed here.

We also have a number of external lodgement machines that you can use to make lodgements outside of branch opening hours. Our external lodgements machine locations are listed here.

Thanks for your feedback and please let me know if you need anything else.
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

SO basically if you don't use machine, you can indeed force them to use it for you, or assist you in using it.
    But they won't take the cash over counter??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi endagibson, thanks for getting in touch.

We’ve a number of self service options available in our branches and this would include our lodgement machines which are used to make cash or cheque lodgements within certain limits.

You can use the machines if you’re withdrawing up to €700 or for lodgements of up to €3,000 cash (per lodgement). You can also lodge up to 15 cheques at a time through the lodgement ATM.

Any customers who aren’t comfortable using self-service options will be of course be assisted by branch staff to use the available services.

We issued a press release in November 2015 in relation to these changes and this can be viewed here.

We also have a number of external lodgement machines that you can use to make lodgements outside of branch opening hours. Our external lodgements machine locations are listed here.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
    Nowhere in your post, or in the press statement, does it say that it is now Bank of Ireland "policy" to refuse cash or cheque lodgements at the counter. Whilst it is clear that the machines are now the bank's preferred method for lodging or withdrawals, where does it actually say it is "policy to not accept transactions at the counter".
    Please clarify.
    K.F.

• Advertisement

Nicola
    Thanks for responding Nicola, but that doesn't answer my question.

04 November 2015
    Bank of Ireland Statement on Branch Changes
    Bank of Ireland has always worked to support the evolving banking needs of our customers, developing online and telephone banking services to complement our nationwide branch network. Bank of Ireland also continues to maintain the most extensive network of branches in Ireland, whilst competitors have reduced – and continue to reduce – their branch footprint.
    In addition, the Bank has always worked to support the needs of our diverse customer base including vulnerable customers.
    Bank of Ireland would like to confirm that vulnerable customers, together with those elderly customers who are not comfortable using self-service channels or other technology solutions, will be assisted by branch staff to use the available in-branch services.

And neither does the above. I'll ask again; can I still go to the cashier to make a cash or cheque lodgement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi All, just to confirm if you’re withdrawing up to €700 or making a lodgement of up to €3,000 cash/15 cheques these type of routine transactions are made through the lodgement machine/ATM.

If, for example, you needed to withdraw more than this amount, or if you needed to buy foreign currency then you can do this with the cashier in branch.

This has been in place for some time now and as mentioned any customer who needs help with this will be assisted by branch staff to use the available in-branch services.

I hope this clarifies things, thanks.
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hi All, just to confirm if you’re withdrawing up to €700 or making a lodgement of up to €3,000 cash/15 cheques these type of routine transactions are made through the lodgement machine/ATM.

If, for example, you needed to withdraw more than this amount, or if you needed to buy foreign currency then you can do this with the cashier in branch.

This has been in place for some time now and as mentioned any customer who needs help with this will be assisted by branch staff to use the available in-branch services.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
    But that reply does not actually answer the question of "policy".
    Is it "policy" to refuse a lodgement for cash or cheques for less than the limit threshold.
    In other words, two machines in the branch, one is broken, mega queue on the other one, why can't customers not use the cash desk instead to alleviate the unnecessary delay on the queue for the one machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

K.Flyer wrote: »

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
    But that reply does not actually answer the question of "policy".
    Is it "policy" to refuse a lodgement for cash or cheques for less than the limit threshold.
    In other words, two machines in the branch, one is broken, mega queue on the other one, why can't customers not use the cash desk instead to alleviate the unnecessary delay on the queue for the one machine.
    Hi K.Flyer

As always feedback is very much appreciated and please be assured that we're committed to making banking simpler and more convenient for our customers. 

If you're unhappy with our self service options or dissatisfied with a service provided in Branch please see our complaints process here 

We'll do our best to help you here with any queries you have, however, we wouldn't be able to add anything further in relation to this. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

I didn't think my question was a difficult one.

"Talk to" indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It's not. 

But they're not going to admit they're rowing back on counter services even when they blatantly are. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Holy crap.  Are you not able to answer a straight forward question.  I am after reading it 3 times now and you are being evasive as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

LOL. So when the ATM machines are down (certainly happened more than once at my branch) you can't pay cash or cheques in at a bank or does BoI change its made up policies to suit itself?

Also in my branch when there are long queues at the ATM (happens when there is only one working ATM) staff tell customers they can still use the cashier.

Edit> Then their is the issue of dog eared notes that the ATM won't accept. Is it now BoI policy that they only deal with crisp new notes making any damaged notes no longer legal tender that won't be accepted by BoI?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gingles

SO basically if you don't use machine, you can indeed force them to use it for you, or assist you in using it.
    But they won't take the cash over counter??
    Yes, and since you posted that question the problem crystalized. 

Advertisement