Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salon etiquette after lice

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

We had an outbreak of lice at home last week, which I treated with a liquid treatment from the chemists and eliminated all the teeny critters on us parents and the kids.

I did a follow up treatment 7 days after and thankfully no more lice!

When is appropriate for me to go to a salon? I want to her eyebrows and nails done this weekend. The place I go to is a hair salon and while I am clean as I can be, I would not want to get into an awkward position and hate the thoughts of spreading lice or eggs or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

We had an outbreak of lice at home last week, which I treated with a liquid treatment from the chemists and eliminated all the teeny critters on us parents and the kids.

I did a follow up treatment 7 days after and thankfully no more lice!

When is appropriate for me to go to a salon? I want to her eyebrows and nails done this weekend. The place I go to is a hair salon and while I am clean as I can be, I would not want to get into an awkward position and hate the thoughts of spreading lice or eggs or anything like that.

If you're clear of lice then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

That's a relief. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Looking for similar advice. Unfortunately I caught lice from my younger cousins but I've definitely managed to get rid of them after a couple of treatments. I can't seem to get rid of all the dead eggs though despite constant wet and dry combing. I have a hair appointment (made before the discovery) for Thursday to get my hair done for my cousin's wedding and I'm worried what will happen if they find any eggs? I've been reading stories of people being kicked out mid-way through a cut and I'm terrified of that happening to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

You could ring and explain situation to them? Or maybe ask for advice on something to get rid of the dead eggs? Wonder would apple cider vinegar or something similar rinse them out? Did you try google that? At least you have 3 days to sort something might be fine by Thursday! Best of luck, enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So in my lice adventures I now use a v comb after the kids have a breakout. So you could use that? You get it in the chemist for about €40

• Advertisement

idunno78 wrote: »
    You could ring and explain situation to them? Or maybe ask for advice on something to get rid of the dead eggs? Wonder would apple cider vinegar or something similar rinse them out? Did you try google that? At least you have 3 days to sort something might be fine by Thursday! Best of luck, enjoy the wedding!

I tried ringing another branch as I was hoping to change anyway and they told me that they won't touch my hair as long as the eggs are in it even though they're dead.

I've googled and googled and wet combing seems to be the best solution so I'm going to keep doing that but I just have this fear that one will remain and I'll be kicked out because of it.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Keep going through with a nit comb, if you have a friend/partner that can check even better!

Scraggs wrote: »
    Keep going through with a nit comb, if you have a friend/partner that can check even better!

Believe me, I'm trying! My scalp is ruined because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Here's your problem. Most salons aren't educated when it comes to head lice. If you have treated your head then you have no lice. What the hair stylist see are white eggs behind the ears. What the stylist doesn't usually know is that these are hatched eggs. You can have a totally clean head and still have these hatched white eggs for months.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Here's your problem. Most salons aren't educated when it comes to head lice. If you have treated your head then you have no lice. What the hair stylist see are white eggs behind the ears. What the stylist doesn't usually know is that these are hatched eggs. You can have a totally clean head and still have these hatched white eggs for months.

How can I work with that though? I can't see me trying to educate them going well when I need my hair cut!

I did ring another salon to explain but she said the same thing - as long as there is anything in my hair they can't cut it. This girl was much nicer any understanding though and explained and tried to help (the other one basically slammed down the phone on me) but still said that it didn't matter that they were dead.

My confidence is shot since I discovered these as it is so my anxiety is up to 100 with the fear and worry of what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You won't educate them. There's a snobbery when it comes to lice. Hairdresser's will tell you they can jump 10 feet etc but they will spread from head over head contact. This is why children get them so that easily.
    You might have better success with someone doing nixers or mobile hairdressing. Their main fear is lice spreading in the salon itself. Someone cut your hair inside you own home might not be so pickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be fair this is their job and what they do each and every day, if there's been an infestation of headlice they cannot take any risk of getting it themselves or having other clients contaminated. It sucks and it could happen to any of us but it's unreasonable to expect them to work with hair and the remains of lice. Nothing snobby about that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's almost like a doctor refusing to allow sick people visit their clinic for fear of making either the doctor or his other patients sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's almost like a doctor refusing to allow sick people visit their clinic for fear of making either the doctor or his other patients sick...

No, it's not.
    Sleeper12 wrote:
    You can have a totally clean head and still have these hatched white eggs for months.

Ah gross. No offence to the OPs but that just sounds rotten!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

OP, we've had them in our house this year and four out of five if us caught them including the baby who was less than a year old. Let's just say that I was ready to take a flame thrower to the house.

More than likely you have all the dead eggs out of your hair but for your own peace of mind you need to do is get a friend, mum, sister or partner to go through your hair with a fine comb section by section. Use an oil solution which will help the comb glide through the hair and not pull as much. After traditional treatment (chemist stuff) we used some oil (I think I used grapeseed oil) with drops of rosemary, lavender and tea tree in it.

Look they aren't nice, unfortunately they are a hazard of being involved with children but they are not a life threatening illness. You will be surprised at how many people have had them at some stage.

Thanks everyone for your tips. I kept at the combing and even did another treatment last night as a just in case and it all seems to have worked! I just got my hair cut and it appears that my hair is safe. No humiliation or half cut hair in sight! :-)

Advertisement