Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Insurance and Tax

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

During the summer of 2016, I went working in England for 2 months. It was made aware to me before I was heading over to England from Ireland that I would need to apply for a national insurance number. When I got over there I started work immediately and in order for my employer to pay me legally I was issued a temporary national insurance number by the HMRC, which I thought was a proper national insurance number as I was not familiar with the UK tax system.

Over the two months I earned around 5000 pounds and I was taxed approximately 230 pounds and paid almost 700 pounds in national insurance. I think I paid the right amount of national insurance but I should not have paid any tax as I'm well below the personal allowance of 11000.

As I was recently sent my P45 from the Hmrc and I was made aware how much tax I paid I began searching on ways to claim back the tax, unfortunately to find out the reason I was taxed was because I was working with a temporary national insurance and it cannot be claimed back as long as I have a temporary national insurance number.

Just wondering is it possible to go up to northern Ireland and apply for the National insurance number and do the interview and then claim my tax back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement