Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlingford Half Marathon

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I signed up for the Carlingford Half Marathon on 4th March. 
    http://www.26extreme.com/productdetails/1481/carlingford-half-marathon-10k.aspx
    It's my first half marathon.  I know it's a popular event and I've heard great things about the town.  I'm looking forward to it!
    Has anyone run this before, or has anyone else signed up for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

p13 wrote: »
    It's my first half marathon. I know it's a popular event and I've heard great things about the town. I'm looking forward to it!

Did it a few year ago, was a nice course some climbs but nothing to hard. Small event at the time but enjoyed the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

p13 wrote: »
    It's my first half marathon.  I know it's a popular event and I've heard great things about the town.  I'm looking forward to it!

Did it last year. First few miles have some testing climbs so be careful not to overdress!

Some exposed parts along the coast on the way back where it was very windy and tough - tuck in behind someone (I had a trail of people behind me!)

Beautiful course - not a PB course, but a good test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Did it last year. First few miles have some testing climbs so be careful not to overdress!

Some exposed parts along the coast on the way back where it was very windy and tough - tuck in behind someone (I had a trail of people behind me!)

Beautiful course - not a PB course, but a good test

I ran it in 2014 (when it was short - but it would have been a massive PB for me even at full distance) when they changed the route due to storm damage.

In 2015 they reverted back to the traditional route, where due to lack of training I had to stop after 4 miles; although I did finish eventually.

Beautiful course indeed, and as it stands I'm hoping to run it again this year. I might have to settle for the 10k though. Best of luck :)

I have my name in the hat, but only for the 10k, not the half marathon. Most I've ever jogged is 6.4km so it'll be a challenge for me (although likely a relaxing stroll to many more experienced people that post here).

Carlingford itself it lovely. This is on a Saturday which is interesting (I presumed it'd be a Sunday) but Carlingford is a popular weekend spot for people to go, so arrive a tad early to make sure you can get parked if need be.

If you've never been before, I'd almost advise staying overnight, and giving hiking up Slieve Foye a blast. Will take a few hours but a great way to pass time and do something else whilst you're there. it's a great climb and you don't necessarily need to be geared up with all the hiking gear. An old pair of runners would do you.

But I'm rambling way off topic now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hey all
    Anybody doing this?
    I ran it a few years ago and enjoyed it.
    I remember it was tough enough though., anybody done it recently?
    Have they changed the route?

• Advertisement

Welcome back to the A/R forum B....

My report from two years ago is below, it's still the same course according to their maps.

I'll be running the 10k this time however. In 2015, I made the mistake of taking the HM on with insufficient training; an error not to be repeated tomorrow.

Best of luck, might see you there?
    J.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556074&page=15

• Registered Users Posts: 44 p13

I'm doing the half marathon tomorrow. Organisers say it's the same route as recent years. I have checked the Strava segment for gradients!
    Looking forward to it.

I have my name in the hat, but only for the 10k, not the half marathon. Most I've ever jogged is 6.4km so it'll be a challenge for me (although likely a relaxing stroll to many more experienced people that post here).

Carlingford itself it lovely. This is on a Saturday which is interesting (I presumed it'd be a Sunday) but Carlingford is a popular weekend spot for people to go, so arrive a tad early to make sure you can get parked if need be.

But I'm rambling way off topic now. :)

You can switch from the 10k to the half (and vice versa) on the day if you wish. Just let them know when you're collecting your bib. Unless they've stopped allowing that since I was there last?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 p13

Bibs were posted out this year, but I'm sure you can change on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Doing the half as prep for Connemara, not a huge amount done in last 2 weeks due to work so be tough.

I think the whole package collection is a bit all over the place, seems a bit disorganised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi

Did anybody run it?
    I found the registration was fine (I registered late but collection was no problem) - sailing club much better organised that the hotel a few years ago.

The course was lovely - first few miles slightly up/down but after that it was fine. Scenery was fab too
    I found it tough though - not as fit as when I ran it last and the final 2 miles on the main road were a drag.
    I see there is a bit of confusion as to the gun / chip time?
    They did say it was chipped but the results are only on the gun.
    Doesn't matter to me personally as I was running just to get the miles done but I can imagine that it might bother others.
    Easy parking and a nice cup of soup after - will be back next year
    (I'd much prefer a technical tshirt to a medal though - but I'd imagine medals are cheaper and it's for charity so no biggie really)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah registration was OK. But advertising it as chip timed, then only using gun? Not everyone uses watches, it's poor form imo.

doughef wrote: »
    Hi

Did anybody run it?
    I found the registration was fine (I registered late but collection was no problem) - sailing club much better organised that the hotel a few years ago.

The course was lovely - first few miles slightly up/down but after that it was fine. Scenery was fab too
    I found it tough though - not as fit as when I ran it last and the final 2 miles on the main road were a drag.
    I see there is a bit of confusion as to the gun / chip time?
    They did say it was chipped but the results are only on the gun.
    Doesn't matter to me personally as I was running just to get the miles done but I can imagine that it might bother others.
    Easy parking and a nice cup of soup after - will be back next year
    (I'd much prefer a technical tshirt to a medal though - but I'd imagine medals are cheaper and it's for charity so no biggie really)

I ran the 10k. I gave you a shout at the start but you were in the zone?

Disappointing not to have chip times. Start of the 10k was a bit of a mess, but overall I enjoyed the actual race and it was a reasonable marker for the K-Club. Hopefully I'll be back for another tilt at the half.

Advertisement