Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch Cups 2017

Options
  • 11-01-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

A few dates for the diaries lads.

Ballybunion

Senior ---13th May---36 Holes Old and New
    Junior(6-11)--- 28th May---18 Holes Old
    Inter (12-17)---14th May---18 Holes Old
    Minor (18-24)---27th May---18 Holes Old

Tralee

Senior---10th June
    Junior---27th May
    Inter---13th May

Not sure of the handicap ranges in tralee but I know they are different to Ballybunion. I was off 12 last year so could play in the intermediate in both. Great two days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Out of interest anyone any experience of a case where you book a scratch cup and then handicap changes so you are no longer within the bracket ?

So say start at 12 and book into Int and then get cut to 11 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

From memory Tralee was 10-18 last year. Where did you find the dates for Tralee, I'm not see them on golfnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

fearruanua wrote: »
    A few dates for the diaries lads.

Ballybunion

Senior ---13th May---36 Holes Old and New
    Junior(6-11)--- 28th May---18 Holes Old
    Inter (12-17)---14th May---18 Holes Old
    Minor (18-24)---27th May---18 Holes Old

Tralee

Senior---10th June
    Junior---27th May
    Inter---13th May

Not sure of the handicap ranges in tralee but I know they are different to Ballybunion. I was off 12 last year so could play in the intermediate in both. Great two days.

Great 2 days in Kerry.
    Think if your handicap changes after booking you could turn up but not play in the comp.
    Sort of wrecked the start of the season as I didn't want to play comps in case I got cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Any idea when the timesheets go live for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Out of interest anyone any experience of a case where you book a scratch cup and then handicap changes so you are no longer within the bracket ?

So say start at 12 and book into Int and then get cut to 11 ?
    mike12 wrote: »
    Great 2 days in Kerry.
    Think if your handicap changes after booking you could turn up but not play in the comp.
    Sort of wrecked the start of the season as I didn't want to play comps in case I got cut.

Mike, I'd imagine if your handicap changes such that it is lower than the specified HC than the correct thing to do is contact the club and you'll get a refund and they can make the tee time available to someone who meets the HC criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan Senior & Junior Scratch cup taking place on Sunday April 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

jimjim12 wrote: »
    Where did you find the dates for Tralee, I'm not see them on golfnet?

I gave the club a call yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Any idea when the timesheets go live for these?

Usually about a month before the date. If you give the clubs a shout early april or so they'll tell ya the exact time and date they go live. They open them to members a week before they open them to non members. They fill up extremely fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Mike, I'd imagine if your handicap changes such that it is lower than the specified HC than the correct thing to do is contact the club and you'll get a refund and they can make the tee time available to someone who meets the HC criteria.

What happens if you have a good day in Tralee?

As above, contact the club, I know most of them have a waiting list, although the club may say to you to work away and play, but it's their call not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

you go on the absolute lash in the town that night

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

slingerz wrote: »

From what I know that seems to be a given, good score in Tralee or not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Which town do most people base themselves for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

mike12 wrote:
    Great 2 days in Kerry. Think if your handicap changes after booking you could turn up but not play in the comp. Sort of wrecked the start of the season as I didn't want to play comps in case I got cut.

So you played the Ballybunion Scratch Cup off an inflated handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

See the senior - is that 36 in the same day - not to mention one is the new.

That sound a pain in the -Ring of Kerry.

Like one round is enough if the beers are on ?

Don't think I fit in with these senior lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate GC have a 36 hole Senior Scratch Cup on Saturday 20th May entry last year was €25 so I imagine it'll be the same again. Last year the first 4 were from Nenagh, Craddockstown, Moate & Tullamore.

Junior, Intermediate & Minor on same weekend over 18 holes and visitors entry for those is €15

www.moategolfclub.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Moate GC have a 36 hole Senior Scratch Cup on Saturday 20th May entry last year was €25 so I imagine it'll be the same again. Last year the first 4 were from Nenagh, Craddockstown, Moate & Tullamore.

One for the diary! Was that the one where the Boards society drove to when some other course was rained off?
    That aul lad was a gem a pure gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

There was a no drop down option for Ballybunion last year. That meant you couldn't just play for the craic. I also assume you can't jump up in order to get a game. Would be totally unfair as demand will be massive as always

It's not for every one Fix, it's tough going but well worth it, Casheen in the morning and old course in the afternoon, there are a few lightweights that pull out after the morning session;):pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

It's not for every one Fix, it's tough going but well worth it, Casheen in the morning and old course in the afternoon, there are a few lightweights that pull out after the morning session;):pac:.

Played it back in 2012 and got absolutely beaten up. Loved it anyway, will go back again when Im brave enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I played Senior last year, like what the lads say course swallows you up and spits you out. I loved the cashen course. Old course was good but greens were terrible, should be good again this year. Bargain to play the 2 of them. If you go down the night before they will let you out on the cashen to practise :D

dar_cool wrote: »
    I played Senior last year, like what the lads say course swallows you up and spits you out. I loved the cashen course. Old course was good but greens were terrible, should be good again this year. Bargain to play the 2 of them. If you go down the night before they will let you out on the cashen to practise :D

You do know the all of the 18 greens on the Old course were redone over the 2015/16 winter? judging them on those merits and not taking that in account and saying they were terrible is foolish.

Personally I thought they were excellent given the work that was done and it was plain to see the changes that were implemented are a dramatic improvement on what was there previously and will only get better with time and in the whole have raised the bar for courses of a similar standard and clubs that have a similar ambitions.

You do know the all of the 18 greens on the Old course were redone over the 2015/16 winter? judging them on those merits and not taking that in account and saying they were terrible is foolish.

Personally I thought they were excellent given the work that was done and it was plain to see the changes that were implemented are a dramatic improvement on what was there previously and will only get better with time and in the whole have raised the bar for courses of a similar standard and clubs that have a similar ambitions.

New greens were only open the week before intermediate scratch cup last year if I remember correctly. I thought they were pretty perfect, but just a bit hairy and that was cause they couldn't cut the new grass down to nothing. Really looking forward to getting out on them again this year to see how they have bedded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Ok they werent terrible but you might aswell be putting on the fairway. After playing the cashen course it was hard to adjust,I understand the great work that went into them, anyway cracking courses ill be back down in May again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

One for the diary! Was that the one where the Boards society drove to when some other course was rained off?
    That aul lad was a gem a pure gent.

no this was the first course we went to and it was closed with the rain. Second course as Mount Temple.
    My first boards outing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

charlieIRL wrote: »
    no this was the first course we went to and it was closed with the rain. Second course as Mount Temple.
    My first boards outing!!

That was a crazy day, the rain was unbelievable! Fair play to the guy in Mount Temple for accommodating us. I have to admit though I was glad that the decision was made to abandon when we did - we need a drowned rat emoji to convey what we were like that day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

morrga wrote: »
    Which town do most people base themselves for the night?

Tralee generally

Tralee generally

Ballybunion I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Last year I set up a website to keep track of scratch cup dates. I've updated it to show this year's ones now - www.irishscratchcups.com.

I'll start filling it up over the coming days. I've also added an email sign-up - I intend sending a weekly or fortnightly digest of upcoming scratch cups and timesheets. I know - for me anyway - it's a pain to keep track of timesheet opening times. Feel free to sign up.

Also, if you'd like your club's details added, either post them here or send me an email (see website for email link). If possible include the timesheet date, timesheet link, cost and handicap ranges. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 golfpimp

When does the timesheet for ballybunion senior scratch cup open?

Advertisement