Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch Cups 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone playing Killarney Junior/Intermediate scratch at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

slingerz wrote: »
    Anyone playing Killarney Junior/Intermediate scratch at the weekend?

If anyone is the place is in excellent condition - the greens on Killeen are the best I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing the scores returned.

jtown wrote: »
    If anyone is the place is in excellent condition - the greens on Killeen are the best I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing the scores returned.

i'm out there myself at 830 looking forward to the weekend in Killarney!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Arklow junior and intermediate now open to book. 16th July.

i'm out there myself at 830 looking forward to the weekend in Killarney!

Any feedback on Killeen on Saturday ?

• Advertisement

jtown wrote: »
    Any feedback on Killeen on Saturday ?

Couldnt ask for better in terms of the course or the weather!

I had a couple of bad holes that ruined my card but it was a very enjoyable day out all told.

What is the membership there these days

Couldnt ask for better in terms of the course or the weather!

I had a couple of bad holes that ruined my card but it was a very enjoyable day out all told.

What is the membership there these days

Good to hear!

http://www.killarneygolfclub.ie/membership-2/

A few places remain for this coming Sunday.

Exactly wrote: »
    Timesheet is now 'Open' for Balbriggan Golf Club Senior & Junior Scratch Cup.

Sunday 16th July

36 holes

Senior - Up to 4
    Junior - 5 to 9

Visitors €35

If you haven't played Balbriggan before you are in for a treat. Book via the link below:

https://www.brsgolf.com/balbriggan/opens_home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Castletroy Golf Club

Junior & Intermediate SC - Sunday 13th August

Junior (5-11)
    Intermediate (12-18)

Visitors €20

061 335753 (ext 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

36 hole scratch cup

Portstewart Strand Course 6th August

Senior Max 4
    Junior (5-9)

£45 for non-members. includes lunch.

+4428 7083 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

36 hole scratch cup

Portstewart Strand Course 6th August

Senior Max 4
    Junior (5-9)

£45 for non-members. includes lunch.

+4428 7083 2015

Is the only way to book a tee time over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Newbridge Scratch Cups on this Sunday. €15 visitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

ziggy wrote: »
    Might head to that, never played there before what's it like?

Nice course. Hopefully they will have the blue tees which are good bit back. Typical country style parkland. Few lakes. Usually in decent nick aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Its the blues alright. Greens and course are in super nick.

Is the only way to book a tee time over the phone?

no. try jeanie@portstewartgc.co.uk. not sure about online booking systems.

Seen all details posted earlier on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Castleknock Junior & Intermediate Scratch Cups on 5th August

€45 including grub

tee times out for portstewart but my handicap is now 9.5. Junior limit was 4-9.

Will they allow me to play?

• Advertisement

tee times out for portstewart but my handicap is now 9.5. Junior limit was 4-9.

Will they allow me to play?

You'd have to ask them. Some places will allow you to just play off 9, others don't allow what they call drop downs but they're very much in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Athenry have 36 hole Junior Scratch Cup (5-10) this Bank Holiday Monday.

25euro incl. soup and sandwich, which is great value,

They have had major drainage works done over the past few weeks but this hasn't affected the playability of the course, look forward to seeing the changes they have made with some of the drains becoming hazards bed in.

Portstewart off the blues was tough. Great track as expected. We struggled to reach a few fairways into the breeze.

I had 2 lost balls on the par 5 4th in both rounds so i was N/R. The senior lads struggled but i think one lad managed a 76.

Managed to birdie two of the par 3s and par SI 1 into the breeze (up and down from 120) which was my round highlights.

One thing i can take away is how badly prepared i was for the 36 hole comp, no spare shoes (or socks), wet gear not good enough and no spare glove in the bag (had one in the car for round 2).

Portstewart off the blues was tough. Great track as expected. We struggled to reach a few fairways into the breeze.

I had 2 lost balls on the par 5 4th in both rounds so i was N/R. The senior lads struggled but i think one lad managed a 76.

Managed to birdie two of the par 3s and par SI 1 into the breeze (up and down from 120) which was my round highlights.

One thing i can take away is how badly prepared i was for the 36 hole comp, no spare shoes (or socks), wet gear not good enough and no spare glove in the bag (had one in the car for round 2).

I managed to make the trip up myself. Course was a beast off the tips, 7,150 yards for a links course of that type and age is a very, very good test. Like yourself there were a few fairways I struggled to make with the wind but I was more affected by the slowness of the greens in round one. Anything uphill and into the wind seemed to need to be hammered and it took me a good 9 holes to adjust. Weather wasn't kind either and some of the showers throughout the day were horrific but the wind would have you dry by the time the next shower hit in general. I'm normally well prepared for all eventualities but like yourself I got caught out here. I'm not a fan of 36 holes in a day but for Portstewart I decided to make an exception, I'm feeling it now. Overall I really enjoyed it and I thought it was well set up. Round one was slow but after the field thinned we got around in a good hour and some change less for round two. Best I seen in for SSC was 74 followed up with a 77. I doubt anyone bettered a two round total of 151 in those conditions. The only other thing I will add is that I did manage to play with the one ball for the 36. The fact I managed that and didn't compete might be more of a negative than a positive :D Roll on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Seve OB wrote: »
    Castleknock Junior & Intermediate Scratch Cups on 5th August

€45 including grub

Very tough off the back sticks, particularly the par 3 3rd and par 3 7th..both 215 yards to the pin into the wind and water in play. Course was in great nick, especially the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Very tough off the back sticks, particularly the par 3 3rd and par 3 7th..both 215 yards to the pin into the wind and water in play. Course was in great nick, especially the greens.

I thought it was set up the toughest I've ever seen it. Some of the pins were visciously cruel, 3rd was a stinker, I 3 putted from 3 foot, my first putt was almost perfect weight and was dropping in, but it just ran around the cup and seemed to pick up speed as a result and rolled and rolled.....

18th my playing partner clocked at 205 and was my shot of the day, 4 iron, landed hole high, 3 foot to the left and rolled on 6 foot past. I was chicken with the downhill putt and duly missed. I think had I drained it I would have got second place on the back 9 countback!!!!!! arrghhhhhh. Never really though I was in the hunt. Left it out there :(

SEORG wrote: »
    Castletroy Golf Club

Junior & Intermediate SC - Sunday 13th August

Junior (5-11)
    Intermediate (12-18)

Visitors €20

061 335753 (ext 1)

Still some afternoon places left on the timesheet. Over 240 entries so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

SEORG wrote: »
    Still some afternoon places left on the timesheet. Over 240 entries so far.

For some strange reason Castletroy and Dromoland have Jnr on the same day. Two quality courses in the same area, makes no sense.

For some strange reason Castletroy and Dromoland have Jnr on the same day. Two quality courses in the same area, makes no sense.

Agreed, I think this has been the case for the last 5 years. €20 for Castletroy is good value for JSC.

• Advertisement

any good websites for scratch cups in the north?

seen brs had a list of open comps but no mention of scratch cups.

Advertisement