Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25.1.17 - EFL Semi Final 2nd Leg - Liverpool (0) v Southampton (1) KO 8pm Sky

• 11-01-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

skysports-southampton-liverpool-efl-cup_3865034.jpg?20170105144853

I fancy Liverpool to win 2-1 tonight and set up for a 3-0 win at Anfield :)

Match News:

Philippe Coutinho is set to return for Liverpool when they face Southampton in their EFL Cup semi-final first leg at St Mary's on Wednesday, live on Sky Sports.

The Brazil midfielder only returned to full training on Saturday after suffering an ankle injury against Sunderland in November, but Jurgen Klopp has confirmed his availability.

Southampton, who will be without captain Jose Fonte and injured attacker Sofiane Boufal, have reached the last four of the League Cup for the first time since 1987.

But they have won just twice since the start of December, while Klopp's Liverpool are on a seven-match unbeaten run stretching back to their 4-3 defeat at Bournemouth.

The Reds boss rested many of his first-team players for their FA Cup draw at home to Plymouth and may shuffle his pack again on Wednesday with Liverpool set to travel to Manchester United on Nissan Super Sunday.

Team news

Claude Puel does not intend to include Fonte, who put in a transfer request last week, until after the transfer window closes and Boufal has pulled out of playing in the African Nations Cup due to a knee injury.

Charlie Austin (shoulder), Matt Targett (hamstring), Cedric Soares (head) and Alex McCarthy (hamstring) all remain sidelined.

Jurgen Klopp says Philippe Coutinho will return for Liverpool against Southampton in the EFL Cup semi-final, live on Sky Sports
    Coutinho is set to make his return after nearly seven weeks out with ankle ligament damage but is likely to be on the bench, while Loris Karius should continue in goal following his clean sheet against Plymouth.

Jordan Henderson (heel) will not resume full training until Thursday but centre-back Joel Matip (ankle) could make the squad as he seeks to prove his fitness ahead of Sunday's trip to United.

Opta stats

This will be the eighth occasion Southampton have faced Liverpool in the EFL Cup; against no side have they played more in the competition (also Arsenal).

Liverpool have eliminated Southampton in four of their last five EFL Cup ties.

Saints have reached this stage of the League Cup for the third time in their history and first time since 1986/87, when they met Liverpool. The only occasion they progressed to the final was in 1978/79, although they eventually lost to Nottingham Forest.

This will be Liverpool's 17th appearance in the League Cup semi-finals; the most of any side in the competition's history. They've progressed to the final in five of their last six semi-final appearances.

Southampton and Liverpool have kept three clean sheets so far this season; the joint-most in the League Cup alongside Newcastle.

Liverpool have scored more goals than any other side in this season's League Cup (12); their highest goal tally in the competition since the 2011/12 edition (14).

Daniel Sturridge is this season's top-scorer in the League Cup (4), netting a brace against Burton in Round 2 and also versus Spurs in Round 4.

Jurgen Klopp has won seven of his nine League Cup games in charge of Liverpool (D1 L1), and has reached the semi-final for the second time in as many seasons.

Saints have won six of their last seven League Cup games against sides from the same division; their only defeat coming against Liverpool in last season's quarter-final (1-6).

Only Aston Villa (467) have scored more goals in League Cup history than Liverpool (466).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

3-0 Liverpool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Southampton A 2 -0 Southampton B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've been stuck doing risk assessment training all day so I hope Liverpool can give me at least some joy and happiness before the day is over.

A repeat of the QFs last year would be most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

C16PaEOWEAAwIFB.png:large

C16Qln9XAAM5gK5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lads are they big enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Not a lot on the bench for Liverpool. I'd be pessimistic. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I think it will be a narrow Southampton win or a draw tonight but Liverpool will get through to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

emo72 wrote: »
    Not a lot on the bench for Liverpool. I'd be pessimistic. Sorry

Coutinho and Origi is a tiny bit more than they've had on the bench recently.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Coutinho and Origi is a tiny bit more than they've had on the bench recently.

What was anyone expecting to see on the bench? Messi? Suarez? Mane?

• Advertisement

I like that starting 11 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Augeo wrote: »
    I like that starting 11 :)

I like the 10 starting out field players! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No injuries please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ahhh, the trophy that does not matter who wins it,as nobody wants it till its won..especially in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, quite happy with that team and bench. Good balance in the starters, with a little more defensive solidity than usual, and then interesting attacking options to be able to bring on if we need to chase the game. Have no problem with Karius getting a game either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

An Absolute must win game for Liverpool tonight.

They already messed up the FA cup causing an extra game , they cant risk chasing a return leg.

Also considering they have 0 depth in their squad, they risk injury for Sunday which may see them going from 2nd to 4th in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    An Absolute must win game for Liverpool tonight.

They already messed up the FA cup causing an extra game , they cant risk chasing a return leg.

Also considering they have 0 depth in their squad, they risk injury for Sunday which may see them going from 2nd to 4th in the league.

Don't think i'd go that far...a draw would be fine...even being a goal down going into the anfield fixture wouldn't be the end of the world.

That's what I really don't like about these 2 legged semi's...there's not much ever really riding on that first game. It's nice to try to take care of the tie in the first 90 minutes, but for a semi final I prefer that feeling of peril and elation, whereas for today anything other than a bad loss is kinda grand. My heart rate likely won't be soaring, which seems a shame for a semi-final.

It works in the champions league, when the size of the occasion, and the likely strength of the opposition add that something extra, but for a league cup, i'd rather just a one-off tie at a neutral ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Isn't ko at 7:45?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Isn't ko at 7:45?

It is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hopefully a good performance tonight it's been a good while since we put one in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Hopefully a good performance tonight it's been a good while since we put one in

I mean, it was only 11 days ago we played City.

christ he's butchering 'my way'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think it was the second half of a game in 2005 when the last real good performance was for some.

Sky looking for any angle they can, apparently this game could determine whether or not Lallana was right to leave Southampton.

yayyyyy a save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Soton fans booing lovrens every touch. They're gonna be tired out if they do the same for every ex player out there.

Probably the least convincing strike ever from Clyne there.

Lucas spraying the passes about like a boss so far.

Dick van Dyke injured?

Edit: He'll be grand, the cockerney fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I mean, it was only 11 days ago we played City.[/QUOTE
    That match was shocking quality wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Playing the cautious game again from the looks of it.

Great save, where was Clyne? He's been getting a run around from Redmond here.

Klavan thats fcuking pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ffs.what was klavan at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

LOL he's miles onside

• Advertisement

Sigh.... Seen that coming

another simple clearance fcked up leads to a goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How typical that Redmond scores - him being the comment of much annoyance by Saints fans this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Any news on Matip?

It's never a particularly great piece of work we concede to, just schoolboy defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kari.....wait a minute Klavan you bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

LOL he's miles onside

He did look well off in real time in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

They've left us pass around knowing that we'll gift them chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Frustrating that so many goals that Liverpool concede are down to silly individual errors rather than good attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

niallo27 wrote: »
    He did look well off in real time in fairness

He thought he was watching United, it's his general response to their goals.

Karius has actually resembled a proper goalkeeper in this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The pool really do have a shell of a squad. Klopp needs some money big time.

We're really good at crossing to Van Dijk, sign him up.

Bring Coutinho on? Too soon?

Will we ever have good corners again?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement