Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25.1.17 - EFL Semi Final 2nd Leg - Liverpool (0) v Southampton (1) KO 8pm Sky

191011121315»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Do you give this lecture in the LFC thread and United match thread when United are losing?

Or is it reserved for only when Liverpool lose?

when I see it I try to call it out yes.
    This might shatter the image of me you have built up in your head though so sorry about that :s hey, weren't you the guy that posted the big cup picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nalz wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the interview? Klopps

Here found you the highlights

giphy_2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Korat wrote: »
    I had someone on ignore but was wondering what kind of madness was inspiring the responses.

Holy F*ck! :eek:

Back on the ignore, I've seen enough.

Well in fairness posting stats about penalties is not really helping your cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He seems to be cracking up in recent week, his obnoxious dig at long balls before deploying the same tactic himself must have really hurt.

I think he might need a break from management.
    You need a break from Boards imo.
    Very poor effort from you tonight. Your a better troll than you have shown tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

BMMachine wrote: »

Manchester United were pretty much the poster boy of this whole culture too. They had everything if you think about it, Giggs, Cantona, Fergie, Beckham, KANCHELSKIS! :pLike they were everywhere, kind of like a pop band. Liverpool were always the unadjusted little brother in this picture (and maybe complete failure under Souness) so there was always this clash between the two despite most people having 0 connection to them. As far as Ive been able to pick out, Man Utd fans fell into two categories - super winners and super losers. You would always have people who were excellent at football, school, games etc supporting united but as much as them you would have the... well, how to put this, not so gifted people supporting them as frankly, Man Utd could win for them. It sounds strange, but something like Dustin the Turkey supporting United was kind of an indicator of this. Dustin would never really be able to support anyone else given the role he was in as a childrens entertainer, it was always going to be the best team at the time - I'd imagine it would be Liverpool in the 70s & 80s if you get me.

Kinda like this do you mean??

article-2631347-012C7DA400000578-263_634x461.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't believe there is an ideal way to start supporting a football club truth be told. I suppose if you grew up near the club and feel a strong connection to the area/town/city then yeah, its gonna happen. But there is no right way.

But there are reasons people decide to support a football club. Ireland I think is in a unique position as we all support British teams, far more than our own, and the reasons as to why are pretty fascinating and can actually tell a lot about society and ourselves. In a way during the early to mid 90s it was a perfect storm of communications, the Premier League and Sky. There was a big boom in British football and Ireland of course got swept up in it. Like there is a generation of Blackburn fans here all because of Shearer and 95. You think anyone is really going to randomly pick Blackburn now compared to then?

Manchester United were pretty much the poster boy of this whole culture too. They had everything if you think about it, Giggs, Cantona, Fergie, Beckham, KANCHELSKIS! :p Like they were everywhere, kind of like a pop band. Liverpool were always the unadjusted little brother in this picture (and maybe complete failure under Souness) so there was always this clash between the two despite most people having 0 connection to them. As far as Ive been able to pick out, Man Utd fans fell into two categories - super winners and super losers. You would always have people who were excellent at football, school, games etc supporting united but as much as them you would have the... well, how to put this, not so gifted people supporting them as frankly, Man Utd could win for them. It sounds strange, but something like Dustin the Turkey supporting United was kind of an indicator of this. Dustin would never really be able to support anyone else given the role he was in as a childrens entertainer, it was always going to be the best team at the time - I'd imagine it would be Liverpool in the 70s & 80s if you get me.

But as I said the other day, this culture manifests itself online and comes out in the most ridiculous and petty ways. A few pages ago a Manchester United fan posted a big picture of a cup. The only intent was to brag and annoy people and they do this because thats the culture they associate themselves with when it comes to football. Manchester United provide a platform for people to do this from a relatively safe distance (although since Fergie left this hasn't been nearly as safe :s ). In me bringing up gloryhunting all Im doing really is holding up a mirror with it right there for people to see and as I said, they generally respond in one of two ways - ignore it or over-compensate in an attempt to deny it exists. Its not going to go anywhere anytime soon because its so hard wired into the culture of supporting in Ireland but by shining a light on it, it might put things in perspective and get intelligent people to look at what they are doing in a different light which is only ever a good thing in my eyes :)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is just glorious .

MD1990 wrote: »
    You need a break from Boards imo.
    Very poor effort from you tonight. Your a better troll than you have shown tonight.

ah ffs. you've fallen for the oldest trick in the book and will now get a yellow card for that.

if you had said "obvious is obvious" you could have gotten away with it as I've seen someone post that, reported it and seen nothing happen to that poster because of it.

Jayop wrote: »
    Kinda like this do you mean??

ha yes! actually went through my head when posting it :p I remember Steve McMananman looking particularly ridiculous
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is just glorious .

the part about over-compensation would fit here

ah ffs. you've fallen for the oldest trick in the book and will now get a yellow card for that.

if you had said "obvious is obvious" you could have gotten away with it as I've seen someone post that, reported it and seen nothing happen to that poster because of it.

And why would you report something as innocuous as that? Are you that sensitive?

article-1236867-0060415200000258-748_306x423.jpg

christ it doesn't even fit right!

• Advertisement

• BMMachine wrote: »

Who?
    Continue to amuse us

Jayop wrote: »
    And why would you report something as innocuous as that? Are you that sensitive?

I reported it as the poster was calling someone a troll in a roundabout way which is not allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious as to your thinking.

I'm genuinely thinking he's curious.

I won't get a card when what I have said what the poster is doing is obvious.

I won't get a card when what I have said what the poster is doing is obvious.

unfortunately the rules don't work like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jaysus there is some serious throwing of toys outta prams on twitter tonight.

https://twitter.com/TrendsLiverpool/status/824392983667687426

If that the case your doing me no favours lol

astradave wrote: »
    Jaysus there is some serious throwing of toys outta prams on twitter tonight.

https://twitter.com/TrendsLiverpool/status/824392983667687426

They are saying it's trending because everyone is abusing anyone that is posting Kloppout

• BMMachine wrote: »

Again you have been caught out in your delusional bubble

It's interesting because I remember getting a card for the exact wording you are winging about
    In fact now that I think of it you may have openly admitted that it was you who reported me. And it was in a Utd match thread. That you didn't even post in
    But bmmachine; the rules don't work, we are all glory hunters and the humour thread sucks even though you post it it all the time anyway

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    They are saying it's trending because everyone is abusing anyone that is posting Kloppout

Probably, I had a look though and there is a lot of people genuinely saying it.. twitter is gas sometimes. Don't know how any pool fan could even consider that already.. fickle fans be fickle

Then this one pops up :D

https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/824401119585648642

Probably, I had a look though and there is a lot of people genuinely saying it.. twitter is gas sometimes. Don't know how any pool fan could even consider that already.. fickle fans be fickle

One guy was giving out he didn't start mane.

• niallo27 wrote: »

Could be worse. Could be a lad telling you that you need go sack mourihnio and sign Tony pullis

The bit I found funny was yer man on 5live saying he doesn't win trophies. When Klopp has 2 Bundsliga and a pokel from Dortmund. Gas. Also. They need to bring in Simeone.. who has made it pretty clear that he wants to go to Inter after Atleti and probably has the same success rate as Klopp :D

niallo27 wrote: »
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Could be worse. Could be a lad telling you that you need go sack mourihnio and sign Tony pullis

I used to love twitter and still use it but its fairly restricted now, in terms of use and who I follow, but it breaks my heart sometimes when I see the stuff people repost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I love Savages reaction to that.

TONY PULLLLLIIISSSSS

:pac:

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »
    The bit I found funny was yer man on 5live saying he doesn't win trophies. When Klopp has 2 Bundsliga and a pokel from Dortmund. Gas. Also. They need to bring in Simeone.. who has made it pretty clear that he wants to go to Inter after Atleti and probably has the same success rate as Klopp :D

Maybe he was referring to the amount of finals he has lost?
    But still nonsense if he was looking for mane to be on the pitch :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Knocked out by your feeder club that's gotta sting.

Maybe he was referring to the amount of finals he has lost?
    But still nonsense if he was looking for mane to be on the pitch :P

Probably but I don't see how you can overlook 2 Bundsliga with Dortmund and say he doesn't win trophies.. it's actually idiotic

• astradave wrote: »
    Probably but I don't see how you can overlook 2 Bundsliga with Dortmund and say he doesn't win trophies.. it's actually idiotic

Maybe it was the same guy ringing in for the lolz? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Nalz wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the interview? Klopps
    Not sure if you're still looking for it but it's in this match report http://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-soton/368126

Nothing major worth talking about in that. He's frustrated after losing and frustrated at the questions being asked, mainly because he'll just be repeating himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Is it time for 'is klopp a busted flush' thread? .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ahh its ok, I am just a cryer to them so I ignore them

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102354434&postcount=251

You tend not to ignore to be honest :) and it's not just "our manager" that moans at the refs :)

http://www.fotmob.com/news/world/1m6tckgasnh5b1e33z5gntvf3b-Klopp+fumes+at+missed+handball+as+Liverpool+miss+out+on+Wembley

The ref did not see the handball of Long and it does not help in a game like this," Klopp told BBC Sport.

"If we could hear a referee's whistle it would be nice. I do not know how many times that has happened this season.

"Against Manchester United we had a clear offside goal [scored against us by Zlatan Ibrahimovic], nobody says anything. Tonight [Wednesday] a penalty, nobody says anything."

• Crackle wrote: »
    Not sure if you're still looking for it but it's in this match report http://www.skysports.com/football/liverpool-vs-soton/368126

Nothing major worth talking about in that. He's frustrated after losing and frustrated at the questions being asked, mainly because he'll just be repeating himself.

This was discussed before. The media are hounds and are all the same. Doesn't matter who you are, when results start going against you, you have to learn how to handle the media puppets properly.
    Jose got slated earlier in the season. Even Conte.
    Now Pep and Klopp are taking some heat.
    It's not some individual witch hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Great thread, would read again.

Embarrasing stuff. No wonder the Anfield atmosphere is dead.
    The lack of patience in modern football is incredible.

Embarrasing stuff. No wonder the Anfield atmosphere is dead.
    The lack of patience in modern football is incredible.

Ah every big club has morons like that. We'll laugh at yours and you'll laugh at ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Was this on tonight? Bummer, good result for them Southampton people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't believe there is an ideal way to start supporting a football club truth be told. I suppose if you grew up near the club and feel a strong connection to the area/town/city then yeah, its gonna happen. But there is no right way.

But there are reasons people decide to support a football club. Ireland I think is in a unique position as we all support British teams, far more than our own, and the reasons as to why are pretty fascinating and can actually tell a lot about society and ourselves. In a way during the early to mid 90s it was a perfect storm of communications, the Premier League and Sky. There was a big boom in British football and Ireland of course got swept up in it. Like there is a generation of Blackburn fans here all because of Shearer and 95. You think anyone is really going to randomly pick Blackburn now compared to then?

Manchester United were pretty much the poster boy of this whole culture too. They had everything if you think about it, Giggs, Cantona, Fergie, Beckham, KANCHELSKIS! :p Like they were everywhere, kind of like a pop band. Liverpool were always the unadjusted little brother in this picture (and maybe complete failure under Souness) so there was always this clash between the two despite most people having 0 connection to them. As far as Ive been able to pick out, Man Utd fans fell into two categories - super winners and super losers. You would always have people who were excellent at football, school, games etc supporting united but as much as them you would have the... well, how to put this, not so gifted people supporting them as frankly, Man Utd could win for them. It sounds strange, but something like Dustin the Turkey supporting United was kind of an indicator of this. Dustin would never really be able to support anyone else given the role he was in as a childrens entertainer, it was always going to be the best team at the time - I'd imagine it would be Liverpool in the 70s & 80s if you get me.

But as I said the other day, this culture manifests itself online and comes out in the most ridiculous and petty ways. A few pages ago a Manchester United fan posted a big picture of a cup. The only intent was to brag and annoy people and they do this because thats the culture they associate themselves with when it comes to football. Manchester United provide a platform for people to do this from a relatively safe distance (although since Fergie left this hasn't been nearly as safe :s ). In me bringing up gloryhunting all Im doing really is holding up a mirror with it right there for people to see and as I said, they generally respond in one of two ways - ignore it or over-compensate in an attempt to deny it exists. Its not going to go anywhere anytime soon because its so hard wired into the culture of supporting in Ireland but by shining a light on it, it might put things in perspective and get intelligent people to look at what they are doing in a different light which is only ever a good thing in my eyes :)

Right.

I get the growing up in the same town as the club, that makes perfect sense however I'd hazard the vast majority of fans of the various clubs, that post on this board, do not have a geographical connection. Its an Irish board so that's a given.

The rest of your post though, its kinda muddled and doesn't at all answer my question.

It skirts around the topic.

What I'm taking from it is that if you were an accomplished sports person in school its OK to support United but if you wernt, then you used them to prop up the shortcomings in your own life, is that right?

There are an awful lot of posters in here that support Liverpool and would be in the 30+ age bracket.

Given the ages then a lot of them would have started supporting LFC in the 70s and 80s which was a time period that Liverpool were all conquering.

That would of course make all the people that started supporting them in the time period glory hunters too, right?

What about Arsenal?

They had a lot of success in the 90s and early noughties, I presume any one that support them post 95 is a glory hunter too?

A 7 year old that wants a Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern Munich jersey for their birthday these days is a glory hunter too of course because they have been the dominant European teams for the last few years.

I've yet to see you pull the moral high ground with any section of supporters other than united supporters.

That in itself is IMO the crux of the issue for you. United have been the dominant team in England for the last 25 years and you as a Liverpool fan are sickened by it. You can use terminology like "holding a mirror up", as if you are on some kind of moral crusade, but it really doesn't mask the deep seated hatred and jealousy you have when it comes to United.

Its really a fascinating mindset to have and goes over and above the normal " that team and their fans are ****" opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement