Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company setting up DD after I cancelled it

Options
  • 11-01-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I just received a letter from Meteor confirming the set up of Direct Debit to my bank account. The thing is, I cancelled it last month through my bank, I prefer to pay off weekly by card. Are they even allowed to set it up again without permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They will still have your mandate from before. You can block them entirely under SEPA rules - contact your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

L1011 wrote: »
    They will still have your mandate from before. You can block them entirely under SEPA rules - contact your bank.

Hold your horses there. If the ops contract says that payment during the term of the contract is monthly by DD, then as per the T&c's of the contract the op cannot just decide to change payment method and frequency. Yes the op can stop payment by DD but, that may mean more charges are incurred.

The op signed the mandate, which means that the service provider is entitled to debit his/her account each month for th duration of the contract. Whether the bank is authorised by the op to pay it is a different matter.

As in all cases when an issue arises with a service provider, op you need to read the T&c's you agreed to when you signed up to the service.

davo10 wrote: »
    Hold your horses there. If the ops contract says that payment during the term of the contract is monthly by DD, then as per the T&c's of the contract the op cannot just decide to change payment method and frequency. Yes the op can stop payment by DD but, that may mean more charges are incurred.

The op signed the mandate, which means that the service provider is entitled to debit his/her account each month for th duration of the contract. Whether the bank is authorised by the op to pay it is a different matter.

As in all cases when an issue arises with a service provider, op you need to read the T&c's you agreed to when you signed up to the service.

This wasn't the OPs question, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

They are allowed. But just cancel it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Thanks for confirming! :)

• Advertisement

This wasn't the OPs question, though.

Actually it is, the up asked can the provider set up DD again?. The op signed a mandate to allow provider to debit his account each month, he gave them "permission". He has not cancelled that mandate, and probably cannot under the T&c's of his contract. So, given that he aurthorised them to do so, the service provider can use that mandate each month until the contract ends, that is what he agreed to. Of course he can cancel it each time it is set up, but then no doubt another thread will start up in another couple of months about phone calls, harassment and debt collectors.

retweet wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming! :)

The poster didn't "confirm", he/she gave an opinion. Your contract and the mandate you signed is the permission the service provider needs to set up the DD.

When it comes to breaking service contracts, if you wait long enough you will eventually find a few posters who will post what you want to hear/read. But, no matter what anyone posts, it all comes down to your contract and what you agreed to.

Actually it is, the up asked can the provider set up DD again?. The op signed a mandate to allow provider to debit his account each month, he gave them "permission". He has not cancelled that mandate, and probably cannot under the T&c's of his contract. So, given that he aurthorised them to do so, the service provider can use that mandate each month until the contract ends, that is what he agreed to. Of course he can cancel it each time it is set up, but then no doubt another thread will start up in another couple of months about phone calls, harassment and debt collectors.

A blocked DD cannot be restarted. Nothing else was asked about.

Meteor offer multiple payment options and the OP may not even be in contract. You are flying off (angrily) on a tangent here.

A blocked DD cannot be restarted. Nothing else was asked about.

Meteor offer multiple payment options and the OP may not even be in contract. You are flying off (angrily) on a tangent here.

Nothing angry about my posts at all, nor are they tangential.. Op would only be on DD if in contract, if it was prepay this wouldn't be an issue. A blocked DD cannot be restarted, a mandate can be represented for a new DD. It is fair to assume that if Meteor had agreed to a weekly payment, the op would have posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If you want to bury this just close the account. As long as you've no overdraft right now there'll be nothing to stop you doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I'm just butting in here : just because someone is on a bill pay phone doesn't mean they're on a minimum term contact. I pay Meteor by DD on SIM only bill pay. I can dump them anytime I want. So can anyone who has an expired contract. All I have to do is port out and a final bill arrives.

Also Meteor's T&Cs have NOTHING to do with SEPA DD terms and conditions.

A customer can cancel a DD at any time. It might be a contractual issue with a mobile phone company during a minimum term but their only option would be to suspend services as a penalty.

DD contracts are between the bank and the customer. You can't add extra t&cs as the DD originator

Nothing angry about my posts at all, nor are they tangential.. Op would only be on DD if in contract, if it was prepay this wouldn't be an issue. A blocked DD cannot be restarted, a mandate can be represented for a new DD. It is fair to assume that if Meteor had agreed to a weekly payment, the op would have posted it.

You have constructed a huge set of assumptions here when the OP asked an extremely simple question

You can be on DD on a rolling contract with no term.

A blocked DD cannot be re-started even with the mandate - it is blocked. SEPA rules apply here. Cancelling and blocking are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

I've no intentions of not paying the bill. It's just that DD doesn't suit me. I prefer to pay every week with a card. Also, meteor give the option to cancel DD on their side.

I just wanted to know if it was normal procedure for them to set up DD again without my authorisation. All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Firstly, a company may require customers to set up a DD as condition of service, but they cannot require DD as the only acceptable payment method under the terms of the contract since that would be against all sorts of financial regulation. Additionally, the terms of SEPA require customers to cancel a DD both with the bank and with Meteor, so while Meteor shouldn't be able to take any more money out in this situation, it should be noted that the OP has not taken all steps necessary to change method of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

retweet wrote: »
    I just received a letter from Meteor confirming the set up of Direct Debit to my bank account. The thing is, I cancelled it last month through my bank, I prefer to pay off weekly by card. Are they even allowed to set it up again without permission?

Tell Meteor that you no longer want to pay by direct debit. (That's how they are currently expecting you to pay). AND then cancel with the bank.

Advertisement