Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Salary Payment

Options
  • 11-01-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I am starting a job next week and my salary will be paid on the 28th of the month which is grand. Because I start late in the month the HR department are saying I won't be included in the January payroll and will will be paid from January 16th to Feb 28th the next month. I know I won't lose out but I don't have enough savings to support myself until then and I'm wondering what can I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Gael23 wrote: »
    I am starting a job next week and my salary will be paid on the 28th of the month which is grand. Because I start late in the month the HR department are saying I won't be included in the January payroll and will will be paid from January 16th to Feb 28th the next month. I know I won't lose out but I don't have enough savings to support myself until then and I'm wondering what can I do.

Ask for an advance?
    Get an overdraft?
    Credit union loan?
    Family?
    Friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Were you on Social Welfare before you started the job? If so, contact your Local office, the Community Welfare Service may be in a position to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Were you on Social Welfare before you started the job? If so, contact your Local office, the Community Welfare Service may be in a position to help.

Yes I am but by payment gets reduced to €35 immediately. That will just about cover my lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yes I am but by payment gets reduced to €35 immediately. That will just about cover my lunches.

Why? Are you with a partner who is working or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do you have a credit card you can use to tide you over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

7 quid a day for lunch? jesus where are you eating, L’Ecrivain?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, so we just found 30 yoyo for you.

But a loaf of bread and some sandwich stuff - spend a fiver. Make a sandwich every day and take it with you every day.

Welfare won't help. Your options are to borrow from someone (family, friend, bank, credit union), or ask the company for an advance. I don't recommend the latter, because it makes you look bad before you've even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Do you have a credit card you can use to tide you over.

Do you not think that if they did and they wanted to use it that they just not have bothered creating a thread in the first place?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

judeboy101 wrote: »
    7 quid a day for lunch? jesus where are you eating, L’Ecrivain?

We are well out of the austerity years now.. The average sambo lunch price is creeping up..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

km991148 wrote: »
    We are well out of the austerity years now.. The average sambo lunch price is creeping up..

I was thinking €5 a day for lunch so that leaves me with €10 left on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You don't need to spend a fiver a day on lunch. I think you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ye - I meant in general - new job, no cash - its tayto sandwiches all round!

op assuming none of the other options are available to you - which I am sure they are not as if you had a credit card you would be here ffs..

- maybe give it a week or so in the new job and see if they can advance you. It wont happen on day 1 as you dont know the company and you haven't worked enough - but a reasonable company should help out after a week or two. Even if its a small advance from office cash or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I would ask HR if they can do anything. I worked in a place where if a new starter commenced work after a certain date each month they missed the cut off for that months pay. If the person asked it was possible to get a cheque organised however it wasn't "advertised". I personally don't see any harm in asking, most people are human and worrying about money is very stressful. If they say nothing can be done I would look into getting a small credit union loan or an overdraft to tide you over but pay it off as soon as you get paid. Good luck OP and congrats on the new job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ah I've lost all interest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Not an expert in payroll at all, but most large companies who operate a cut off for the monthly run do have procedures in place for 'emergency' payments, for example I had a large deduction made once in error, they asked if I could wait till next month's run, and I said no. The payment was processed as a one off.

Depending on the size of the company you are joining (and their flexibility) this could be an option for you - only way to find out is ask.

Or make sangwiches as recommended above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

Try to negotiate with your employer to temporarily switch you from monthly pay to weekly or at least fortnightly pay mode. This is just a one off payroll routine for them but you'll get an actual salary for that period of 1-2 weeks. It will be enough to keep you going for a month until you get full monthly salary next time. I'm on weekly pay and I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Given your work has a microwave and you're not vegetarian, a bag of pasta will cost you €1. 700g chicken fillets cost €7, onions and peppers around €3.

€2 for tupperware in dealz if you're stuck

Cook them in the evenings for work and you've €22 left on a Friday then.

Situation isn't ideal, IMO I wouldn't ask your new employer for advancement, looks bad. Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Given your work has a microwave and you're not vegetarian,

how do you know that?

Advertisement