Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Owning a high mileage leaf

• 11-01-2017 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

We are currently looking at 50k Km on its first anniversary on the 30kwh leaf. We are extremely pleased with the car ( that's an understatement )

However I've been thinking of what to do when the PCP is up in early 2018. At that point it looks as if we'll have 150K km.

Firstly I wonder when well loose the first bar ( yes ML I will post the leafspy , just keep forgetting about it )

The GMFV will be 10K.

Should we ,

(A) keep it , forever ? , use it as a 2nd EV , for me exclusively , but at 4,5,6,7 years will it be even usable

(B) trade it at the end of the PCP , presumably the value could be low ( 5k ? ) that's fine

(c) trade it sooner , before the first bar is lost for another EV ( prob leaf or Hyundai

(D) another strategy

Bearing in mind within the PCP timeframe , my partner will likely retire and the mileage will drop considerably

( or if she doesn't , it would justify a new car spend etc )

Decisions , decisions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Just to throw an option in under Category D, IF it works out that you intend to keep it, bear in mind Mike Schooling refurbishes older batteries - for approximately £1500 at present.

Still seems a bit expensive - but I'd wager that these prices will drop (as should replacement new batteries) as time goes on. Then again, bear in mind that on an ICE, to swap out timing belt & water pump costs a big chunk of this cost in itself.

His company = indra.co.uk . He's an active contributor on the speakev forum - and seems to have built up a respected reputation amongst the UK EV community. He guarantees restoration to 90% capacity if memory serves me.

You may decide to go a different route - but just throwing that out there - just in case it suits your circumstances to hold on to the car for the long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭invara

I have two leafs (leaves?), a 142 with almost 100k km and a 11 one with 80k km. Both have lost a bar and the range works for me; and will continue to work for the foreseeable.

The simple answer is to drive them into the ground as long as the range continues to work for you; particularly as they have very low maintenance costs (which kick in as a bigger saving as the car gets older). Most cars are substantially depreciated when the hit 100k miles (160k km). This is almost certainly going to be the cheapest option given EVs higher depreciation profile.

If the range starts to stop working for you, then you should trade and take whatever depreciation hit is coming to you.

How are these cars even considered environment friendly or a smart investment when a poster asks is his car even useable after 5,6,7 years. How does that make sense on either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

With that high mileage the car is almost certainly going to be worth less than you GMFV so paying more than the car is worth cant be a good idea so I'd say option A and B are an absolute no IMO (but each to their own).

C.... do you mean trade it before the PCP is up or do you mean buy it and then trade it maybe on year 4, 5 etc?
    Again, anything that involves you handing over €10k at the end of the 3 years is wasted money IMO

I go for D. Hand the car back and buy another EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Maybe you should consider if diesel would be better in your situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Casati wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider if diesel would be better in your situation?

:confused: Why would he do that? It's €5000-7000/year cheaper to run the EV than an equivalent 2.0 or 2.2 diesel. Diesel is ten to twelve times the price of electricity. And no real maintenance beyond an cabin air filter until 200,000km. I do 10-20% higher mileage on my EV than BoatMad. The day you go EV is like getting a big salary bump. My i3 is going in for it's first service the end of the month with close to 110,000km on the clock.

If it wasn't a PCP, I'd say keep it.... and in 10 years you'll still have a grocery getter you can just pop a new battery in if it makes financial sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

cros13 wrote: »
    :confused: Why would he do that? It's €5000-7000/year cheaper to run the EV than an equivalent 2.0 or 2.2 diesel. Diesel is ten to twelve times the price of electricity. And no real maintenance beyond an cabin air filter until 200,000km. I do 10-20% higher mileage on my EV than BoatMad. The day you go EV is like getting a big salary bump. My i3 is going in for it's first service the end of the month with close to 110,000km on the clock.

If it wasn't a PCP, I'd say keep it.... and in 10 years you'll still have a grocery getter you can just pop a new battery in if it makes financial sense.

Most others seem to calculate an EV at about 2.4c per km and diesel at 6c per km.

I imagine maintenance is a good bit less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm saving €2200 a year compared to my diesel. If I was to end up needing to recondition my battery after 6-7 years which costs less than one year of that saving then that's a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

How are these cars even considered environment friendly or a smart investment when a poster asks is his car even useable after 5,6,7 years. How does that make sense on either?
    It's not that simple. He's asking the question as ..

A. there are no Leafs around of that vintage - so who can say for sure.

B. Nissan maintain they have a design life of 10 years - which is reasonable (and again, we will have to see).

C. As another poster has pointed out, they tend to be much lower when it comes to maintenance costs - and the hope would be that this would come into its own as the Leaf ages (battery aside).

D. They may suit someone that does city runs/shorter runs/second car, etc. as they get older (if the battery range declines). For that reason, I suspect there will be a residual market for such cars when the time comes.

You're also forgetting that there's a lot of savings being made by EV drivers right now on fuel. If I get as far as August with fees on fuel, I'll have pocketed €2600 in the year.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Most others seem to calculate an EV at about 2.4c per km and diesel at 6c per km.

Definitely not, in the region of 1c/km is more realistic. Most EV drivers use nightsaver (including the OP) at 5-8c/kWh (I pay 5.33c/kWh) rather than the retail undiscounted 24H rate. Personally, I've moved enough loads to the nightsaver rate that my bills are below my pre-EV bills... and again... I commute to Dublin from Portlaoise every day.

Vs 2010 2.0 D4D Avensis (the best I got was 6.4L/100km, diesel for the commute alone cost me ~€20/day) on the same route I'm saving €7000/year in combined fuel and maintenance (and I have ODBII logs to prove it).... for an EV with 40kW (55PS) more motor power. I now use less than €2/day of electricity, and only pay for €1.20 of that.

However... as I said my post-EV electricity bills are actually lower...basically I pay for tires and washer fluid....

• Advertisement

Boatmad, I'd say it depends on the terms of your PCP. You may get a lower mileage Leaf than your own for the GMFV....or you may be contractually obliged to pay enough per km that buying the car is worth it.

On the other hand... purchasing a new EV you may have enough leverage that you can come out on-top.... though I doubt it... when we're talking 50kWh+ EVs I'd reckon on production constraints limiting supply enough for the foreseeable future that you won't have a great negotiating position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I imagine maintenance is a good bit less.

Most would (on the back of a cigarette box) estimate the running costs of an ICE to be 5x that of an EV. That's assuming no ICE catastrophic failures like a blown turbo, dpf or dmf.

Op, drive it into the ground. Even when the battery has lost too much capacity to be convenient a refurb will cost you no more than any one of the above.

Definitely not, in the region of 1c/km is more realistic. Most EV drivers use nightsaver (including the OP) at 5-8c/kWh (I pay 5.33c/kWh) rather than the retail undiscounted 24H rate. Personally, I've moved enough loads to the nightsaver rate that my bills are below my pre-EV bills... and again... I commute to Dublin from Portlaoise every day.

Vs 2010 2.0 D4D Avensis (the best I got was 6.4L/100km, diesel for the commute alone cost me ~€20/day) on the same route I'm saving €7000/year in combined fuel and maintenance (and I have ODBII logs to prove it).... for an EV with 40kW (55PS) more motor power. I now use less than €2/day of electricity, and only pay for €1.20 of that.

OK I don't have a leaf or any electric car (But I am going to look at the Ioniq tomorrow) but you pay higher standing charge to have night rate, also pay a higher day time rate than without night tariff and standing charge and the future use of free street chargers is being review if not gone already.

Also a leaf and an Avensis aren't in the same class, a golf maybe, and some of them are pushing under 4L/100kms. I get 5.6l/100 from a 520d but I do baby it, something I got from 4 years of Prius ownership.

I can never make the figures work for a leaf for me. But that said having driven Leaf it is not just about the money, tomorrow morning when I start that German tractor I will wish I am in a leaf.

I watch pretty much all Bjorn Nylands videos and the one where he did the 600kms in two days in a Leaf to pick up a dog shows what you can do in a Leaf. But because he could not use the free Tesla superchargers he had to pay equiv €25 for a single charge. €7-8 on other occasions. He didn't get 100miles out of any of those charges, best was 130 odd kms, so it cost at 7-8c a mile and up to 25c a mile.

Sorry going off on a tangent, but I suppose the point is don't be construing the figures in the best way to suit your argument, people actually take as Gospel what they read on boards and it isn't that simple.:-)

n97 mini wrote: »
    Most would (on the back of a cigarette box) estimate the running costs of an ICE to be 5x that of an EV. That's assuming no ICE catastrophic failures like a blown turbo, dpf or dmf.

Op, drive it into the ground. Even when the battery has lost too much capacity to be convenient a refurb will cost you no more than any one of the above.

Or a £700 door handle for a two year old 50k Model S.

As yet we don't know what a leaf will cost long term. They still have bearings and bushings, shocks etc.....there will be bills if you have it long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Or a £700 door handle for a two year old 50k Model S.

As yet we don't know what a leaf will cost long term. They still have bearings and bushings, shocks etc.....there will be bills if you have it long enough.

If you paid £700 for a door handle you need to befriend a good independent mechanic, or do it yourself. There is nothing in the Leaf door handle that justifies that price.

As for bushes and bearings, they're long term wear and tear items, and don't require any more attention than any other car, and they're not particularly expensive either.

standing charge to have night rate, also pay a higher day time rate than without night tariff and standing charge

Standing charge goes up by €50/year, you get payback on that in the first month or two of the year if you have an EV. Day rate goes up usually by 1c/kWh...but during nightsaver hours the rate drops by 8-9c/kWh. I use pretty much dead on 10,000kWh per year. 60.5% of my power consumption for the last 12 month was during nightsaver hours. An aggressively negotiated nightsaver tariff is cheaper at all times than someone paying standard 24 hour rates.

I move supplier regularly. My current rates with Energia are a substantial discount on their standard 24h unit rate (16.65c/kWh). I pay 12.23c/kWh during the day and 5.33c/kWh during nightsaver hours.
    Also a leaf and an Avensis aren't in the same class, a golf maybe, and some of them are pushing under 4L/100kms. I get 5.6l/100 from a 520d but I do baby it, something I got from 4 years of Prius ownership.

I own a Leaf as well (161 30kWh...replaced a 141 24kWh) but I was actually talking about my i3 (twice the power to weight). Even so Leaf has the same HP and torque as a 2.0 D4D Avensis but full torque from zero RPM. The Leaf is taller with a longer wheelbase, about 4cm thinner and shorter but with a bigger passenger volume... smaller boot... but it's not that far off...

While 4L/100km may be listed in the specs for some cars, and some drivers on fuel efficient routes may even have seen those numbers, in general they should be taken with a liberal pinch of salt. I was talking about my actual recorded fuel economy on a near 200km commute with a mix of motorway and city and over an hour stuck in traffic each way.
    construing the figures in the best way to suit your argument, people actually take as Gospel what they read on boards and it isn't that simple.:-)

It's true that every person's situation is different and there are people EVs don't suit... but while I do cast the EV in a positive light I have the data to back my numbers up.... to an extreme level of detail.

I not only have full fuel and energy consumption data for every single trip I've taken for the last six years, I have GPS logging, temperature data and dashcam footage as well. I've even got calibrated individual in-line metering before each chargepoint feeding data back to my smart home at 2 second intervals 24/7/365. When I ran diesel I mostly used my own gravity fed tank at home which I also have full records of fuel quality testing for. In that six year period I've purchased five cars, 2010 Avensis, 2012 Avensis, 141 Leaf, 151 i3 and 161 Leaf. So I even have replication with multiple vehicles of each sample set. I did take the peak retail price I paid for diesel but I think that's fair... fossil fuel prices are substantially more volatile than electricity rates and you have far less control over your future fuel costs vs an EV.

True... but I've put a fair amount on mileage on my Leafs and as of right now there are a further four leafs owned my extended family and soon to be joined by an Ioniq as well. So we've seen things like crash repairs, windscreen replacements, v. high and v. low mileage etc.

There are things which are more expensive. For example Tires.... the Leaf goes through them at least 10-20% quicker than previous vehicles. My i3 eats it's rather expensive tires in half the mileage of the Leaf (at 100,000km I'm on the 3rd full set of summers and literally ordering the 2nd set of winters in another tab).

Crash repairs to the front of the Leaf are reasonable unless any of the powertrain components are affected. Costs have dropped but at one point replacing the assembly which holds the charging ports was over €2000.
    Crash repairs on the i3 are cheaper than a 1-series until you go near any part directly connected to the CFRP frame (like the clips that hold the body panels in place or the plastic the windscreen sits on). A windscreen replacement by someone who is unfamiliar with the car and uses a steel wire to remove the old windscreen can literally turn the whole car into a write-off.

On the other hand, at 60,000km my i3's brake discs were only 4% to 6% worn.

I move supplier regularly. My current rates with Energia are a substantial discount on their standard 24h unit rate (16.65c/kWh). I pay 12.23c/kWh during the day and 5.33c/kWh during nightsaver hours.

5c/kWh is exceptionally low for a domestic account. How did you get those rates? Do they include Vat?

The cheapest Energia advertise on their website is 8.44c inc vat.

Did you negotiate price based on being a high volume user? i.e. just pick up the phone and request a further discount?

KCross wrote: »
    5c/kWh is exceptionally low for a domestic account. How did you get those rates? Do they include Vat?

The cheapest Energia advertise on their website is 8.44c inc vat.

Ex VAT. In this case the cheapest rate (33% discount on standard unit rates) was only available through bonkers.ie.
    Did you negotiate price based on being a high volume user? i.e. just pick up the phone and request a further discount?

The bonkers deal got me down to 5.83c/kWh on the night rate. I picked up the phone and got another 0.5c/kWh off 'cause I moved three properties on the same account, two of which are 10,000kWh/year accounts.
    Just for context 10,000kWh is double national average household consumption. I have lab equipment/computers running 24/7. Two/three EVs charging, Washer, Heat-Pump dryer and dishwasher running at night saver. Showers in the morning, some electric spot heating and small device charging is also on nightsaver. I've shift LED grow lighting and aeration pumps for my hydroponics and aeroponics to operate from 01:00 to 17:00 in winter to maximise natural light use and energy costs.

The original plan I moved to was called "Clever Electricity (Web Exclusive 33%)". It's also a 100% renewables plan.

I said maybe OP should consider diesel largely due to the depreciation, which is way bigger than the fuel cost - demand for a 150,000km Leaf is likely to be very weak based on the rapid depreciation seen for second-hand minimal mileage cars already.

If the OP's estimate is correct, and the Leaf is worth 5,000 when the PCP period ends , then it will have cost crica 25k plus interest for three years plus eletricity and any repairs etc. The only options unless they can trade it now for new car, I guess is to keep it unless the battery gives up the ghost or else suffer the depreciation

Demand for good quality 3 year old diesels with 150,000km is still very high- I'd estimate total three year depreciation on an equivalent 22k Focus or Corolla to be less than 12k. Fuel cost on one of these should be circa 3k per annum (2.5k ex vat!) for 50,000 km assuming OP is driving main roads. If ESB start charging as planned then most EV's owners ownership cost will increase dramatically - something to think about too

Ques: Im surprised to hear there are no servicing costs at all for Leaf's, I understood they still needed a 30km/ 12 month service / stamp on the book, to keep the warranty?

If ESB start charging as planned then most EV's owners ownership cost will increase dramatically - something to think about too

Not at all.

It will have zero effect for most people. 90+%(on average) of your charging is done at home.

Alot of people dont use the public network at all.

If someone bought an EV on the basis of free public charging then, yes, they are screwed (Taxi drivers etc).

As longer range EV's come on the market the public network becomes even less relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ques: Im surprised to hear there are no servicing costs at all for Leaf's, I understood they still needed a 30km/ 12 month service / stamp on the book, to keep the warranty?

Around €100 a year for the service.

With that high mileage the car is almost certainly going to be worth less than you GMFV so paying more than the car is worth cant be a good idea so I'd say option A and B are an absolute no IMO (but each to their own).

C.... do you mean trade it before the PCP is up or do you mean buy it and then trade it maybe on year 4, 5 etc?
    Again, anything that involves you handing over €10k at the end of the 3 years is wasted money IMO

I go for D. Hand the car back and buy another EV

@BoatMad, if you hand the car back is there a per km penalty? If there is, that would change the options quite a bit.

What is the penalty per km and what are you allowed per year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Around €100 a year for the service.

Surely brake fluid and coolant should be changed every few years? I think they are in the Leaf service schedule for every 2-3 years or something like that. Can't imagine that would be particularly cheap if done at a main dealer. But then again it's nothing like a modern diesel with DMF, DPF, EGR valve and all the other expensive acronyms that tend to break - which can easily surpass the cost of battery reconditioning.

I moved from a diesel to a PHEV and have halved my fuel costs ("fuel" = petrol + leccy, don't know about maintenance yet), but that combined with lower tax, etc. has been totally negated by moving from a 9 year old car (paid in cash) vs. 4 year old (bank loan) - in reality the total costs are twice as much :o

The future for Diesels is a lot more uncertain, resale value could be less in 3-5 years and electric range dramatically improves and people start buying low range electrics as the 2nd car or even their main car.

There are much stricter emissions tests on the way too, I bet manufacturers simply won't be arsed making diesels after all there is really no need for them as it is, everything could be gas, electric and petrol plug in etc. There is a lot easier ways to pass emissions tests.

I said maybe OP should consider diesel largely due to the depreciation, which is way bigger than the fuel cost - demand for a 150,000km Leaf is likely to be very weak based on the rapid depreciation seen for second-hand minimal mileage cars already.

What rapid depreciation? Leafs are still beating most ICE Nissans despite temporary pressure on the market here with thousands of Leafs coming off lease in the UK all at once. I traded in a 141 Leaf last February with 65k km against a new 161 30kWh (with a higher RRP) for €4500. There no Mk1.5 132/141 Leafs on carzone listed for below ~€13k despite the fact they were available new for a little as €17k (XE rapid) with scrappage those years.
    If the OP's estimate is correct, and the Leaf is worth 5,000 when the PCP period ends

GMFV ≠ Future Value
    equivalent 22k Focus or Corolla

Those are smaller vehicles with lower performance.
    Fuel cost on one of these should be circa 3k per annum (2.5k ex vat!) for 50,000 km assuming OP is driving main roads.

I'm not convinced of that.
    If ESB start charging as planned then most EV's owners ownership cost will increase dramatically - something to think about too

<snip>... 95% of the average EV driver's charging is done at home. Even for high mileage users like myself home charging provides 80%+ of the power that runs our cars... and that's when the infrastructure is free... introduce any fees and opportunistic charging disappears resulting in even less public charging.

€99 for the annual inspection / €129 for every 2nd year when the brake fluid is done. At 150,000 the OP will be effectively at the end of the powertrain warranty and does not need to do any more than the brake fluid until 15 years / 200,000km when the coolant gets replaced. After that coolant every 5 years / 100,000km. Brake pads and discs see almost no wear. Bearings are sealed and suffer less stress than on ICE vehicles.

You have to remember that almost all EV drivers have plenty of long term experience of ICE vehicles. Whereas the reverse is very uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Boatmad, I'd say it depends on the terms of your PCP. You may get a lower mileage Leaf than your own for the GMFV....or you may be contractually obliged to pay enough per km that buying the car is worth it.

On the other hand... purchasing a new EV you may have enough leverage that you can come out on-top.... though I doubt it... when we're talking 50kWh+ EVs I'd reckon on production constraints limiting supply enough for the foreseeable future that you won't have a great negotiating position.

just bear in mind how PCPs work.

If I elect to walk away , ( which isn't really much of an option) then the penalty milage will be applied and given is high Im going to end up paying 50% of the GMFV anyway.

In all cases in works out the same , Ill pay the GMFV and net against that whatever the residual value of the car will be. since I need another car, if the commercial residual is very low, then it makes sense to keep it

I said maybe OP should consider diesel largely due to the depreciation, which is way bigger than the fuel cost -

with PCPs at zero percent, demand for 150Km any sort of car is very low ,, but at least a 150KM EV will be virtually free to run , currently I save about 500 euros a month against previous fuel bills, thats a lot of money over three years , easy cope with the depreciation ( which is likely to be 5K more then GMFV IMO)

past experience in 2015 was our fuel bills between two cars came close to 600 euros a month ! the reason that the leaf is seeing so much use is that most of the mileage on the second ICE has been transferred to the EV, the diesel hardly moves expect for times when we need it

demand for a 150,000km Leaf is likely to be very weak based on the rapid depreciation seen for second-hand minimal mileage cars already.

thats primarily a function of a certain amount of cheap leafs imported from the UK, demand for used Leafs is still good in EV terms ( 24 registered in Dec)
    a
    If the OP's estimate is correct, and the Leaf is worth 5,000 when the PCP period ends , then it will have cost crica 25k plus interest for three years plus eletricity and any repairs etc. The only options unless they can trade it now for new car, I guess is to keep it unless the battery gives up the ghost or else suffer the depreciation

sure I dont think trading now makes sense , Ill see what the garage might offer, but demand for new Leafs is being hilt by model expectation and UK imports
    Demand for good quality 3 year old diesels with 150,000km is still very high- I'd estimate total three year depreciation on an equivalent 22k Focus or Corolla to be less than 12k. Fuel cost on one of these should be circa 3k per annum (2.5k ex vat!) for 50,000 km assuming OP is driving main roads. If ESB start charging as planned then most EV's owners ownership cost will increase dramatically - something to think about too

NO my savings are based on home & work charging , public charger use is minimal in the context of that.

fuel was running at 5-6K between two vehicles
    my next door neighbour has bought an immaculate 07 diesel 80K km for 3500 cash , yep diesel residuals are great !!!

anuual service faeries from 99- 120 euros depending on A or B device each consecutive year

Ive owed stacks of diesels ( and I continue to own one ) , they get hugely expensive as they age , turbos go, DPF goes, EGR valves etc etc , massive money top keep on the road

whatever the options its not diesel , fuel process are climbing , the tax will be rebalanced, and I suspect the motor tax will hammer diesels in the next few years

Diesel are dead really

BoatMad wrote: »
    with PCPs at zero percent, demand for 150Km any sort of car is very low ,, but at least a 150KM EV will be virtually free to run , currently I save about 500 euros a month against previous fuel bills, thats a lot of money over three years , easy cope with the depreciation ( which is likely to be 5K more then GMFV IMO)

past experience in 2015 was our fuel bills between two cars came close to 600 euros a month ! the reason that the leaf is seeing so much use is that most of the mileage on the second ICE has been transferred to the EV, the diesel hardly moves expect for times when we need it

thats primarily a function of a certain amount of cheap leafs imported from the UK, demand for used Leafs is still good in EV terms ( 24 registered in Dec)
    a

sure I dont think trading now makes sense , Ill see what the garage might offer, but demand for new Leafs is being hilt by model expectation and UK imports

NO my savings are based on home & work charging , public charger use is minimal in the context of that.

fuel was running at 5-6K between two vehicles
    my next door neighbour has bought an immaculate 07 diesel 80K km for 3500 cash , yep diesel residuals are great !!!

anuual service faeries from 99- 120 euros depending on A or B device each consecutive year

Ive owed stacks of diesels ( and I continue to own one ) , they get hugely expensive as they age , turbos go, DPF goes, EGR valves etc etc , massive money top keep on the road

whatever the options its not diesel , fuel process are climbing , the tax will be rebalanced, and I suspect the motor tax will hammer diesels in the next few years

Diesel are dead really

My main point is around depreciation, but if your satisfied that wont be an issue then yeah for sure your probably as well off simply trading after three years with 5k equity in yours - it will be really cheap motoring if that works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Let's try and remember our manners re: swearing, gents.

• Advertisement

My main point is around depreciation, but if your satisfied that wont be an issue then yeah for sure your probably as well off simply trading after three years with 5k equity in yours - it will be really cheap motoring if that works out for you.

depreciation on Leafs is being driven by a surplus of recent second hand gen 2 battery models in the UK , that the VRT concession is making " too" competitive . Its not function of the model or the EV market in general. Im fairly confident of that , because before the availability of UK cars , residuals were reasonably good

The depreciation will be as I suspect , about 50% of GMFV , maybe a little better against a new Nissan.

Yes its really cheap motoring , the savings are real and are tracked and we can see it in the bank account

in reality one years savings covers the additional depreciation

The issue will boil down to keep it or trade, what I need to determine where the sweet spot is in settlement payment against trade in value , If I get better then 5K loss, then early trade is is worth considering

Ill get a valuation at the next service soon. Id dont expect it to be good

Advertisement