Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Owning a high mileage leaf

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

650Ginge wrote: »
    Having considered the sums I am not going to go with a new car, I can't justify it. I am just too handy with a spreadsheet, its a curse.
    I wouldn't say it's a curse at all - I'd imagine it's served you well.

Let us know what you end up driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I wouldn't say it's a curse at all - I'd imagine it's served you well.

Let us know what you end up driving.

I will but this may take some time, I not prone to quick decisions.

Thanks for all the pointers, and apologies for taking over the thread OP.

This EV forum is a whole lot friendlier than the main motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Maybe a Gen 3 Prius, maybe even plug in but not done much research on the Plug-in.

Prius Plug-in isn't worth it... tiny tiny tiny battery (sorry zilog...I know it works for you but for the price it just feels like the value is not there).

Something definitely worth considering if you need the extra room would be a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Plenty coming off lease in the UK pushing down prices. ~50-60km (maybe even 80km if you take it easy) on the battery and you have the combustion engine for your infrequent longer journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cros13 wrote: »
    Prius Plug-in isn't worth it... tiny tiny tiny battery (sorry zilog...I know it works for you but for the price it just feels like the value is not there).

The price? They were ridiculous new, but used there's negligible difference between one and a standard high-spec Prius in the UK - then you'll save a few hundred off VRT. 4.4 kWh battery is still better than 1.3 :) If you're looking at the Prius specifically it's certainly worth considering. Cheaper than an Outlander too (but obviously smaller).

Regarding boot space: You lose the spare wheel well and maybe 5-10 litres over the normal Prius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

So.....

I had a look at the Ioniq today, well it is a Hyundai, and it still has the horrible interior that all Hynundai have.....just a big black plastic dash, improves a lot with it is powered up, which is the way you will be looking at it most of the time.

Anyway thats my Hyundai hang up out of the way....also the boot isn't big enough for my doggies either.

So I went on the Nissan site to see how much a leaf would be on PCP. As I personally would only want to lease one and maybe walk away.

€680pm over three years.....yikes.....turns out they GMFV is €5075 and €5000 deposit . So it would cost approx €8160 a year in repayments and if you divide out the deposit too, €998 a month, or €11986 a year for three years. Nearly €36k in total....and you still owe them the €5075 if you don't walk away.

How can anyone make the maths on these work? I want one but they have to be some way affordable. Thats about 171428 miles in fuel in my current car :-).

Its now very difficult to justify a new Leaf , unless paradoxically you are going to do very high mileage, The GMFV has more then halved over the last 2-3 years, which means in fact that you'd might as well buy it on HP, cause thats all that PCP is.

personally I think Nissan will kill new Leaf sales, I notice Dec was the first month with zero new Leaf sales (yet many 2nd hand sales ) , an ominous sign

my own view is that the Leaf will become a 2nd hand import product for the foreseeable future, especially if Nissan , bring out a mediocre upgrade ( which now seems likely ) . To be honest , it almost looks like Nissan is abandoning the BEV concept for the Hybrid. ( and this wouldn't surprise me )

oh well, the issues around early adoption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the current Sterling situation and unknown future of importing from the UK post-Brexit is seriously inflating the used import market. 22 used Leafs were imported in December 2016 (189 total last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I think the current Sterling situation and unknown future of importing from the UK post-Brexit is seriously inflating the used import market. 22 used Leafs were imported in December 2016 (189 total last year).

yes but Nissan are in the process of destroying their own new car EV market , the car is virtually unpurchasable at present

BoatMad wrote: »
    The GMFV has more then halved over the last 2-3 years, which means in fact that you'd might as well buy it on HP, cause thats all that PCP is.

How do you make that out ? 5,500 GFMV ? you honestly think a leaf will be worth that little in 3 years ? no I don't either so there is obviously going to be a lot more value in the car.

Nissan are playing it safe by making you pay more PM but with a much greater chance of getting it back at the end + more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

How do you make that out ? 5,500 GFMV ? you honestly think a leaf will be worth that little in 3 years ? no I don't either so there is obviously going to be a lot more value in the car.

Nissan are playing it safe by making you pay more PM but with a much greater chance of getting it back at the end + more.

There has been a couple on Donedeal for 6700 and 7800, not far away from 5000.

If Nissan are doing this it is because they know that they can't sell them second hand at anything higher. No?

Anyway you have to be crazy to go with that sort deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Firblog

When I was doing up my figures last year, it went along these lines

Previous car cost new €22,500
    Value after 5 years €7,500
    Depreciation per year €3000
    Fuel Cost per year €1600

Cost Per Year €4,600

Leaf Cost New €24,300 (152 SVE Ex Demo 1000km)
    Value After 5 Years €0
    Depreciation per year€4,860
    Fuel Cost Per Year €0 (Public Charging& Charge point in OH's House :D)

Cost Per Year €4,860

I know these figures are very basic, and I'm not accounting for some obvious costs/benefits...

After a year I'm thinking I'll definitely keep this car for a min of 5 years, maybe as long as 10 to get the best value out of it. I don't do big journeys, or high milage - 19000km this year - and don't abuse it, so it should last. At the end of that time when I need a car, I'll hire a self driving one to come courier me to my destination, it'll be the only way to travel then; we'll be looking back wondering what was the sense in buying a car that cost so much to run every year when driverless taxi's take us everywhere for buttons :pac:

• Advertisement

There has been a couple on Donedeal for 6700 and 7800, not far away from 5000.

Hmm, 2011-2012 and a quote
    "This car is priced very low deliberately to sell quickly"

Hardly reflective of the price after a "3 year" pcp then !
    If Nissan are doing this it is because they know that they can't sell them second hand at anything higher. No?

Not really no, Nissan are being very cautious that the buyer takes the risk and pays a higher monthly cost and if the car is worth more at the end of 3 years then they get it back and more if it's worth more.

Advertisement