Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuerteventura

Options
  • 11-01-2017 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

Has anyone taken a cycling holiday here or hired a road bike. If so whats it like for road cycling. Any suggestions on a bike rental shop and I was planning to go at the end of March so if anyone went their around that time what were the conditions like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

I was there 2 years ago and stayed at Corralejo. I hired a road bike from Life Cycles (see their web site) and was given a Felt road bike for €64 for 5 days.
    I booked it via email and they were really easy to deal with and spoke reasonable english.
    I would deffo use them again.
    Roads great out there, tarmac is like Carlsberg had made it and traffic gives cyclists great respect.
    Great criac to go "off piste" and head up round the volcanoes and through the tiny villages where they rear goats and you can smell them as you cycle through...wonderful stuff...not to mention the fab weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Have been there a few times, stopped in Gran Tarajal which is 40 minutes south of the airport. Used Fuerteventura bike hire which is based in Gran Tarajal, very good bikes, Giant TCR Advanced with full Ultegra, Mark who runs the hire business is very helpful and knowledgeable and prices are very competitive.
    I assume you'll probably be staying in Caleta de Fuste or Corralejo. Caleta would be a better base cycling wise than Corralejo as it a bit more central. It can be pretty windy at that time of year, last year the first 15-20k of most of my spins would be into the wind, miserable, head down averaging 10-20 km/h, but the last 15-20k was a hoot, averaging around 50km/h. Once you get into the hills the wind is not as much as a factor but always be aware of it when planning your route. There are plenty of challenging climbs but probably not the calibre of some of the other canary islands. The car drivers are brilliant for the most part, they can actually get pulled up and ticketed for not giving cyclists enough room. Fuerteventura is working hard at becoming a cycle friendly destination and judging by the number of cyclists on the road it is working. The bakeries do lovely cakes also.......enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Stayed here ( http://www.playitas.net/en/sports/cycling ).

I liked Fuerteventuara. Roads are lovely, not much traffic and always courteous. It can get quite windy and depending on what part you stay in, it can take a while to get to some hilly bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

I was there for a week, 3 years ago in Feb.

Used caleta cycles in caleta. Fairly good guy to deal with.

Caleta is a good base as central on the island. Close enough to the airport too.

Easy to plan your routes away from there and routes in general very easy to follow.

Great road surface, usually low traffic but as mentioned above, plan your routes depending on wind direction and strength as it can get very windy out there, very windy and it can be a hard road home against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not much to add from what's already been posted. I've been to Costa Teguise a couple of times and hired a bike from there for odd days at a time due to having family stuff to do as well. Roads are really good, wind can be a killer but the weather is great.
    I'd love to go back sometime soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement