Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Draft Area Plan - 3500+ new houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Oldtown Mill residents did not object to the link road. Quite the opposite - they actually sought assurances that the link road would be built before any additonal houses were built. It's difficult to get out of OTM at peak times, so a ring road would divert Clane traffic away from there altogether (assuming they were heading for the M4/Maynooth)

Residents objected to a proposal to create a second entrance to OTM at the back of the development (where the new houses are to be built). While it would have eased traffic at the front of the estate, it would have created a through-road running right though the centre of OTM. In an estate full of young kids, that was a dangerous idea. People drive fast too fast on that spine road already (there was a serious accident there last year).

Residents also sought assurances that the new develoment at the back of OTM would not be integrated into OTM, but would in fact be a separate development with separate access to the new link road. This is because adding 70 houses to the existing OTM population would have created even more congestion at the entrance. It's just common sense.

If the link road is not going ahead, then it looks any new houses at the back of OTM will be a new phase of OTM. This is madness. It will just add to congestion at the entrance to the estate.

We all know that solving the housing crisis requires more homes to be built... but the infrastucture has to be there to support them. The roads around Celbridge are already congested. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the link road must be built before any more houses are built in the OTM/Shackleton Rd area. Especially with another school going in there.

I am a resident of OTM with a young child and I believe that the link road should be built with an entrance into the estate. The idea that all the traffic in our estate at the moment ( if they are heading to the m4) queue up with all the other cars to exit the only exit in the huge estate before passing five sets of traffic lights to get to the motorway is crazy. Bring on the link road and forget about the nimbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

I'm Oldtown Mill resident and attended a few meetings where residents objected to this road.

180 objected to the link road and I'd say many were from Oldtown Mill.

"MTO3.9
    A significant number (ca. 180) of submissions object to the Western Link Road in KDA 4 and state
    that access from KDA 4 should not be permitted through the Oldtown Mill Estate as such proposals
    would act as a thoroughfare to the M4, Maynooth and Clane Roads and would pose a threat to the
    safety of children within the estate. The ‘Western Outer Link Road’ should be relocated to the
    periphery of the designated housing area."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Simple solution,close the current exit/entry and open the new one. If they layout of the junction was thought out properly it might even make traffic flow better in and out. But i doubt the resadents would be happy with that solution.

Thats kinda the problem,any solution/idea to help flow gets shot down by different groups cause they don't like some aspect of it.
    We need a ring road from the M4 apple green roundabout to the Clane Rd then across the Liffey out towards the hatch and back onto the Dublin Rd but i dont hold out much hope of that in in the next 50 years. Celbridge will just keep growing like every other town in the area and traffic will keep getting worse.

Maynooth have been trying for years to get a ring rd and its still getting held up. Sallins bypass is finally going ahead after years of campaigning and it was lobbying of a large company that gave the final push to get it done (that was also the case for the Intel/HP slip off the M4)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

I see planning notices now up for development on Shackleton Road.
    Oakleymanor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

CCR wrote: »
    Oakleymanor.ie

Good to see that a filter/right turn lane will be created on Shackelton road towards Church road as part of it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Oakleymanor.ie

Jesus, that housing plan looks very high density

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the modern standard density.

The 60s-90s low density semiD estate isn't going to be normal in this area any more. Even the "premium" estates like Castlepark in Maynooth are significantly more dense.

Front gardens are basically gone in modern developments also - surprised that it looks like green for grass rather than hard landscaping on the patch beside the driveways there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's been mentioned elsewhere that this area is filed on floodmaps.ie as a site that has caused problems before due to the stream that runs through it. Does this mean that if it goes ahead owners will have problems trying to insure their houses.

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's been mentioned elsewhere that this area is filed on floodmaps.ie as a site that has caused problems before due to the stream that runs through it. Does this mean that if it goes ahead owners will have problems trying to insure their houses.

I see on the plans they have a planned flood area beside the stream... Same as kilcock I guess.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I see on the plans they have a planned flood area beside the stream... Same as kilcock I guess.

And how did the people in Kilcock fare out with house insurance, presuming the houses are built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oakleymanor.ie

Do you have a link? Thanks.

And how did the people in Kilcock fare out with house insurance, presuming the houses are built.

Some mixed info on here about that. There were reports that insurance companies would not cover them but the developer would... Also some reports that insurance was not an issue.

Hard to know. Either way, bank will not let you draw down before insurance is in place and those houses are now occupied... So they got insurance somewhere.

I don't know what its like now but when I lived there that "stream" was fairly full flowing when rain was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

does any one have the link if you wish to make a submission on oakley manor

scheister wrote: »
    does any one have the link if you wish to make a submission on oakley manor

Info here

http://oakleymanor.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/4.-Site-Notice.pdf

I can see the (3 storey?) apartments being an issue here... they will overlook existing houses and be quite towering, further to the back of the site seems like a better option.

I can see the (3 storey?) apartments being an issue here... they will overlook existing houses and be quite towering, further to the back of the site seems like a better option.

Overlooking a school playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭JDigweed

As a Celbridge resident for 30 years and struggling to buy a property I welcome this development but there needs to be a bridge built over the Liffey up near St Wolstans to keep traffic away from the village. A major push for future development to be located around the Hazelhatch station would be best for the town with an upgrade to infrastructure in that area....possibly a new main road from the roundabout linking up with the Clane road. The current rat run through Simmonstown Manor is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

JDigweed wrote: »
    As a Celbridge resident for 30 years and struggling to buy a property I welcome this development but there needs to be a bridge built over the Liffey up near St Wolstans to keep traffic away from the village. A major push for future development to be located around the Hazelhatch station would be best for the town with an upgrade to infrastructure in that area....possibly a new main road from the roundabout linking up with the Clane road. The current rat run through Simmonstown Manor is a recipe for disaster.

Completely disagree, I’ve lived in Celbridge all my life on the Ardclough Road. The Lords Road and Simmonstown Road are beautiful quiet country roads and lovely parts of Celbridge for walking etc. That part of the town should be protected against being built up at all costs.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Completely disagree, I’ve lived in Celbridge all my life on the Ardclough Road. The Lords Road and Simmonstown Road are beautiful quiet country roads and lovely parts of Celbridge for walking etc. That part of the town should be protected against being built up at all costs.

Houses need to go somewhere.... it makes sense to have them walking distance to the train.

I don't know when your house was built but I often find it funny when I see people living in houses build 10-15 years ago complaining about new houses being built now. I suspect the people in 30yr old houses complained about the 10-15yr old ones and so on..

Most people want to buy their house and think no more should be built after that.

• Advertisement

Houses need to go somewhere.... it makes sense to have them walking distance to the train.

I don't know when your house was built but I often find it funny when I see people living in houses build 10-15 years ago complaining about new houses being built now. I suspect the people in 30yr old houses complained about the 10-15yr old ones and so on..

Most people want to buy their house and think no more should be built after that.

I have spoke to a few people who have bought in castlewellan and most are people who either grew up in Celbridge or have lived in Celbridge a number of years.

People like me in the 30-40 group would love to live in Celbridge but have little choice unless more house like Oakley Manor get built. In the last 20 years the population of Celbridge has doubled.
    While i would love for the traffic to be sorted before the house are bulit. It appears KCC are reactionary rather then proactive in this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

seamusk84 wrote: »

God forbid you couldn't go for your lovely evening walks :rolleyes:

scheister wrote: »
    I have spoke to a few people who have bought in castlewellan and most are people who either grew up in Celbridge or have lived in Celbridge a number of years.

People like me in the 30-40 group would love to live in Celbridge but have little choice unless more house like Oakley Manor get built. In the last 20 years the population of Celbridge has doubled.
    While i would love for the traffic to be sorted before the house are bulit. It appears KCC are reactionary rather then proactive in this point.

I agree, in the last 10 years Castlewellan is the only somewhat large new development.. People want to buy, there is very little supply.

On traffic... the traffic in Celbridge is nothing out of the ordinary. It is bad from 8am-9am and again at 5pm-6pm. But every town in the country is the same, that is why it is called rush hour...

People have a strange concept of traffic, sitting in their car... complaining about other people in cars. I see it on the Celbridge Facebook page, people complaining about kids being dropped to school and single occupant cars etc... while they are part of the same traffic. Building more roads is not the answer, if you build more roads and make it easier for people to drive more people will drive and we are back to square one... more roads but still gridlocked.

We were talking last night about this Oakley Manor. Does anyone know when a decision is due. tried looking at the An Board Plenola site but it is not the most user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blue flue

the second bridge for celbridge is 7 to 10 years away and will cost €30 million to build.

blue flue wrote: »
    the second bridge for celbridge is 7 to 10 years away and will cost €30 million to build.

Children's hospital was meant to cost 700mil, so prob need to round that up to 100 mil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

have they actually chosen a location/option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blue flue

No, could be anywhere from wolstans to donacomper.

Well Bernard, you need to talk to the right people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Lets say a €100,000,000 just to be safe.

Advertisement