Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Draft Area Plan - 3500+ new houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

was in kilkenny city last week...note they got new bridge, all done and dusted during the harsh times, when we all had no money............opened only in may 2017..after long delays...local told me it was ready last october 2016..why the delay?? mystery................any way they have it now..nice design..nice footpaths, nice cycle lanes.....seems to be working well...could kcc please copy asap................

we are being told we need a new bridge in celbridge 2017/2018..........i think we needed a new bridge since 1980....if we are to get 4,000 new houses, would that be 10,000 more people or more.....15, 000 might be more accurate, do we need at least two new bridges, one close to existing narrow bridge and another bridge on clane road all the way over to rail station at hatch.............that does not go through any residential areas or estates, a ring road, to take trucks out of the town area as much as possible............to allow people move about in some comfort, the money will have to be found....also need new schools,new public parks, playgrounds, creches, proper width footpaths and roads, parking spaces, water, sewage,buses trains.....somebody will be busy.....proper planning now for celbridge

Is this new estate for Maynooth Road part of the old development plan? Or is it included in the number of houses mentioned in previous posts?

It will have 79 units: a mix of 10 two-bed terrace houses; 38 three-bed semi- and terraced houses; 26 four-bed semis; 3 four-bed detached; and 2 five-bed detached houses. Due for completion in June 2019.

Interestingly, the development is priced at 11 million euro. This makes it an average of 139,241 per unit. Great value :D

(Who says developers struggle to turn a profit these days?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this new estate for Maynooth Road part of the old development plan? Or is it included in the number of houses mentioned in previous posts?

It will have 79 units: a mix of 10 two-bed terrace houses; 38 three-bed semi- and terraced houses; 26 four-bed semis; 3 four-bed detached; and 2 five-bed detached houses. Due for completion in June 2019.

Interestingly, the development is priced at 11 million euro. This makes it an average of 139,241 per unit. Great value :D

11m construction cost + land cost + dev levies + connection fees to IW and ESBN and BGN + VAT. They also need to divide their desired profit margin over the number of houses less the ones they sell at cost to the council.

The costs over and above construction in Ireland are not cheap. Some of the big ones could be reduced or removed if we had proper property taxation to fund local authorities but existing house owners would protest immensely at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Old plan

think that site was in old plan....not part of the 4,000 new units planned for next five years.....maynooth road fast becoming a nightmare to travel up and down...............i say more roundabouts and less traffic lights............the lights at pub, celbridge house..and opp petrol/diesel garage are holding up the whole place...........nearly as bad as the infamous narrow bridge...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

think that site was in old plan....not part of the 4,000 new units planned for next five years.....maynooth road fast becoming a nightmare to travel up and down...............i say more roundabouts and less traffic lights............the lights at pub, celbridge house..and opp petrol/diesel garage are holding up the whole place...........nearly as bad as the infamous narrow bridge...??
    The lights only make a difference if they are more of a bottleneck than at the bridge, which I highly doubt. It makes going through Celbridge slower at off peak times but that's not a big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They make going to anywhere in Celbridge not over the bridge impractical. Plenty of retail and commercial on the Maynooth side that is now effectively inaccessible at peak times from Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

L1011 wrote: »
    They make going to anywhere in Celbridge not over the bridge impractical. Plenty of retail and commercial on the Maynooth side that is now effectively inaccessible at peak times from Maynooth.
    That's just it, I never noticed anything too bad in the car or the 67 when it's outside commuting times (coming from Maynooth). I haven't been down in a couple of months now so maybe things have changed for the worse?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Old plan

When you see the size of this development - 79 units - and think of it as 177 extra cars (based on number of parking spaces), the scale of 4,000 additional units starts to look terrifying. Will that mean 9,000+ cars? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KDA4 (Oldtown) housing development has since been removed from the plan... didn't get sign off?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

mloc123 wrote: »
    KDA4 (Oldtown) housing development has since been removed from the plan... didn't get sign off?

Think they shifted it all to simmonstown end, dept enviro wanted it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Development has started between Aldi and Aghards school. I think about eighty 3, 4 & 5-bed houses. The entrance was made on the Aghards road a few weeks ago and there's another at the old Schneider entrance. It could be a new rat-run to avoid the lights at Aldi.

re possible rat running tro new estate on maynooth road......i understand entrance from maynooth road will only be for walkers, bicycles, prams,buggies,....................despite present super size, when finished will be only for pedestrians.............all cars will have to enter and exit from side entrance ,which will bring lots of extra traffic on to aghards road, close to school...........cheers:)

re possible rat running tro new estate on maynooth road......i understand entrance from maynooth road will only be for walkers, bicycles, prams,buggies,....................despite present super size, when finished will be only for pedestrians.............all cars will have to enter and exit from side entrance ,which will bring lots of extra traffic on to aghards road, close to school...........cheers:)

Ah ffs...

What a nightmare for people in the new estate and surrounding area. Those lights will be a disaster.

(Random aside: looking through planning applications in Celbridge on foot of this conversation and noticed that McDonald's had applied to open a restaurant at Tesco! Refused (file 16919))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

(Random aside: looking through planning applications in Celbridge on foot of this conversation and noticed that McDonald's had applied to open a restaurant at Tesco! Refused (file 16919))

Permitted on appeal but with conditions - remains to be seen if it goes ahead

http://www.kfmradio.com/news/07042017-0813/permission-granted-appeal-drive-thru-restaurant-celbridge

Riskymove wrote: »
    Permitted on appeal but with conditions - remains to be seen if it goes ahead

http://www.kfmradio.com/news/07042017-0813/permission-granted-appeal-drive-thru-restaurant-celbridge

Thanks - I missed that. So 'drive thru' only, it seems. I hope it doesn't affect small businesses like Halo or Da Mario's (I've no personal/financial interest in either).

If it's not possible to eat on site and maybe even impossible to buy food without a car, hopefully it would stop it becoming a magnet for teenagers. Nothing against teenagers - they have to be somewhere - but it's no good for them or anyone else if McD's becomes the place to be.

Sorry, got sidetracked there. Will get back on topic.

How many houses are in the latest version of the new plan? Is it still around 4,000 mark? As I said earlier, when you see the development of 77 houses beside Aldi, the scale of adding 4,000 new units becomes a bit easier to imagine.

Sorry, got sidetracked there. Will get back on topic.

How many houses are in the latest version of the new plan? Is it still around 4,000 mark? As I said earlier, when you see the development of 77 houses beside Aldi, the scale of adding 4,000 new units becomes a bit easier to imagine.

It does look like the bulk of the new houses will be south of the river... with ~1000 at Ballyoulster and ~1300 at Simmonstown. Smaller developments of 600 at Croudan and 400 at Oldtown Mill. The remaining 700 will be 'infill' which i guess will be small ones like behind Aldi dotted around.

Any info on the density of these developments? I'm a bit worried that the pressure to solve the housing crisis - and general developer/economic priorities - might mean large, dense estates.

It would mean a lot of pressure on schools. In fact, a couple of new schools would seem essential. I recall one of the plans had a school at Oldtown Mill. Something needed on the other side also.

Maybe the secondary will eventually find its way down to near the GAA station as previously planned.

• Advertisement

Any info on the density of these developments? I'm a bit worried that the pressure to solve the housing crisis - and general developer/economic priorities - might mean large, dense estates.

It would mean a lot of pressure on schools. In fact, a couple of new schools would seem essential. I recall one of the plans had a school at Oldtown Mill. Something needed on the other side also.

Maybe the secondary will eventually find its way down to near the GAA station as previously planned.

They are all 30-35 houses/hectare.. not sure what that means in real terms

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

It does look like the bulk of the new houses will be south of the river... with ~1000 at Ballyoulster and ~1300 at Simmonstown. Smaller developments of 600 at Croudan and 400 at Oldtown Mill. The remaining 700 will be 'infill' which i guess will be small ones like behind Aldi dotted around.

Did I read somewhere that the proposed crodaun/ maynooth road houses had been cancelled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

They are all 30-35 houses/hectare.. not sure what that means in real terms

So thats roughly 30 house to two and a half soccer fields which does not seem that bad at all.
    robinwing wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that the proposed crodaun/ maynooth road houses had been cancelled ?

Was it when they went to the department of Environment that wanted the building all over the bridge so Crodaun and oldtown road was taken out of the revised plan

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Live in Celbridge myself and those houses they are starting on beside Aldi is really going to hurt the whole traffic build ups at peek time...jesus even when its not peek hour traffic the conjestion can be mayhem, especially with matches etc going on in the gaa etc...
    I think its going to be an extra 350 houses ( correct me if im wrong ) which would be about another 400 odd cars ....Cant wait....! Wish they would think out and relise the whole traffic problems this introduces on an already saturated situation....

I think its going to be an extra 350 houses ( correct me if im wrong ) which would be about another 400 odd cars ....Cant wait....! Wish they would think out and relise the whole traffic problems this introduces on an already saturated situation....
    77 houses beside Aldi.

Prices of those houses beside Aldi:

- 4-bed semi-detached bungalow: 550k
    - 4-bed detached (two-storey): 595k
    - 5-bed detached: 650k

Now I think Celbridge is a fine place to live - generally good amenities, schools, shops, pubs - but 650,000 seems like a lot.

Then again, I've said that kind of thing before and been wrong. It only takes one (or, in this case, 77) people with mortgage approval and these will be snapped up.

Prices of those houses beside Aldi:

- 4-bed semi-detached bungalow: 550k
    - 4-bed detached (two-storey): 595k
    - 5-bed detached: 650k

Now I think Celbridge is a fine place to live - generally good amenities, schools, shops, pubs - but 650,000 seems like a lot.

Then again, I've said that kind of thing before and been wrong. It only takes one (or, in this case, 77) people with mortgage approval and these will be snapped up.

Not the same development. That is a small development of 5 houses on the site of what used to be a small semi-d cottage just before Aldi.

Pricing on those is high for sure... they are aimed as a premium product tho with very high standard of finish etc... but, they are still squeezed on what used to be somebodies garden on a busy/noisy road.

I am interested to see how quickly they sell.

Ah apologies. I was thinking they were marketing the new larger development very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Best way to reduce traffic will be reducing the cost pf the bus. I remember the price was 1,80 € from Maynooth to Dublin and last time I used few years ago I payed 3,30 €. Too much money for such short distance, the trains were also expensive at 3 €. Thats why people uses only cars.

• Advertisement

Buses are already packed at commuter times.

I don't know about traffic in Celbridge specifically, it seems no worse to me but the M4 west during peak times is terrible.

Drove out as far as Kilcock last week around 5pm... It was at a standstill in places. Looks the same most days. No crashes, cleared up quite a bit around Kilcock. I assume due to all the new developments in Maynooth, Kilcock and Clane.

Advertisement