Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Query re: Suit & Commute

Options
  • 11-01-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry about this stupid query but how do people manage the suit and commute.

In my last job, I cycled about 30mins each way, full bib shorts etc and changed into a uniform in a changing room in work. Never had any showers but it was never a problem and never really an issue during heavy rain either as we had a radiator to throw the gear onto.

The job I'm in now requires a suit - and I like to wear a nice shirt, tie etc. No one in the office cycles, there's no changing facilities (or radiator) but there is a toilet. I'm not inclined to cycle in the suit as I think it'll get wrecked, its not loose enough to cycle in, the heavy gear on top of it (wets etc) would make me sweaty and very uncomfortable. If I wear my bib shorts etc there's no where to dry it if it is wet and I'm not keen on my suit being in my bag (wrinkles etc).

Just wondering what other people do - how they manage it etc. As I say - a silly query - but be gentle with the replies - I'm keen to get back to cycling. I miss it a lot. I'm on an annual bus ticket at the moment but its packed, the drivers are surly (if they stop) and I miss the freedom of cycling.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

guy I work with leaves his suit and shoes in work and cycles into Dublin from foxrock. He changes in the toilet without any fuss.

Keep a set of dry cycling gear in work and a wet bag just in case you get soaked on the way in.

You could buy a shirt shuttle to put your shirt in and keep it relatively crease-free, good few similar products around

https://www.patrona.com/product/shirt-shuttle/

keep a small towel handy to dry off..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I drive into work at least one day a week and bring in 4 shirts, undies etc. I leave shoes, ties and trousers in work. I do have a small utility room that I use as a changing room. No shower, but baby wipes and deodorant are adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I leave suit jacket and shoes in office. Bring shirt and trousers in daily in bag, change in toilets, it's grand. If you're really concerned there are a number of 'suit' carrying devices that fit into backpacks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I leave two suits, shoes and ties in work.

I wear a clean ironed shirt each day and cycle in jeans. My commute isn't far and I don't get too sweaty, so I don't need a shower. I change into a suit in the toilets.

I have dry underwear and socks in a drawer in case of a downpour. There is a radiator in work if I need to dry wet gear.

The shirt gets a bit creased, especially around the arms, but I wear a suit jacket if I have a meeting etc. The body of the shirt does not get very creased.

Best of luck with it if you get back on the bike for the commute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I drive into work at least one day a week and bring in 4 shirts, undies etc. I leave shoes, ties and trousers in work. I do have a small utility room that I use as a changing room. No shower, but baby wipes and deodorant are adequate.

yep similar to what i do.
    I normally bus it home Friday and then come in at some point over the weekend to drop the clothes inm I'm lucky as i've a full length locker so no creases. I'm 10km away so not too far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

yep similar to what i do.
    I normally bus it home Friday and then come in at some point over the weekend to drop the clothes inm I'm lucky as i've a full length locker so no creases. I'm 10km away so not too far

Going anywhere near work on a day off is the biggest no-no on the planet imho!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

terrydel wrote: »

gets me away from the wife :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Excellent suggestions.
    Plan to get back on the bike soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

terrydel wrote: »

What if you work from home? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I haven't worked in an office that requires smart dressing in an awful long time, but I do play guitar at weddings, and I usually cycle there, so I'm carrying an amp, stand, sheet music and sundry others in panniers, a guitar on my back, as well as some reasonably smart clothes.

I usually find that I can wear the smart trousers, and the shoes, provided they're not patent shoes. If it's very wet, I have to carry the shoes in a pannier and wear more waterproof shoes on the bike. The jacket, tie and shirt go in the panniers. The only potential problem is the shirt, so I use an artificial-fabric shirt that doesn't crumple. That could be a problem for wearing in the office all day. Wedding gigs are usually just two hours, not eight, and I guess that artificial fabric really isn't suitable for smart office wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I dont wear a suit - but dress formally in the office (female). What works for me is having a large pannier with a solid back on it so i can easily fold clothes and "slide" them into the pannier so they stay folded. I generally keep my "work" shoes (a few pairs) in my work desk so they dont have to be brought in daily.Check fabrics before you buy them by squashing a section of them in your fist - if they pop back with no wrinkles...buy them!

The pannier makes a huge difference - i used a backpack before and everything was squashed in it regardless of how carefully i put things in.

I just get changed in the bathroom at work. I keep some makeup/hair brush etc in my desk at work too so i can do that when i get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Parchment wrote: »
    I dont wear a suit - but dress formally in the office (female). What works for me is having a large pannier with a solid back on it so i can easily fold clothes and "slide" them into the pannier so they stay folded.

Rolling your clothes is pretty good for preventing creases in the pannier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hey OP I think you can change the thread title after all the good answers to the query. :) Has been informative thread as to what solutions people come up with. Am in that lucky camp in that Company I work with has decent shower facilities. Can always be improved on though.

Advertisement