Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance counselling as a career

Options
  • 11-01-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have always enjoyed working with people, both young and old, in an educational context. I have experience with teaching people in universities and in doing one-to-one mentoring of college students and also of secondary school students. I've also done group with with primary school students in the past.

However, I have never made a career out of it despite my range of experiences. It might be because I lack a professional qualification in the area (although I do hold an MA but not specifically in education).

My query is - is it possible to become a guidance counsellor in the Irish education system without having a teaching subject as well? Are there any "pure" guidance counsellors?

I am thinking of doing a Masters in Guidance Counselling at UCC but have not got a teaching qualification under my belt (though I did both history and sociology in my degree), thus my query.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any and all help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have always enjoyed working with people, both young and old, in an educational context. I have experience with teaching people in universities and in doing one-to-one mentoring of college students and also of secondary school students. I've also done group with with primary school students in the past.

However, I have never made a career out of it despite my range of experiences. It might be because I lack a professional qualification in the area (although I do hold an MA but not specifically in education).

My query is - is it possible to become a guidance counsellor in the Irish education system without having a teaching subject as well? Are there any "pure" guidance counsellors?

I am thinking of doing a Masters in Guidance Counselling at UCC but have not got a teaching qualification under my belt (though I did both history and sociology in my degree), thus my query.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any and all help!

I may be wrong but I think you have to have a teaching subject to work as a career guidance in schools. A few years ago it may have been possible but the government changed that a few years because guidance counsellors had to teach their other subjects. The Teaching Council requirements for getting registered as a career guidance counsellor are non existent and a colleague told me that guidance counselling doesn't even appear on their teaching cert. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

That's very useful information, thanks a million. If anyone has any more information I'd be delighted to see/read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Fabio wrote: »
    That's very useful information, thanks a million. If anyone has any more information I'd be delighted to see/read it!

I was only discussing this with a colleague recently.
    Without a teaching degree you wouldn't be able to work in a secondary school (as you need a teaching council number), but you would be able to apply to a College of Further Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thanks very much. Seems like a real shame - you need two years to complete the PME and, essentially, another two to do the MA in Guidance. All of that on top of an undergrad too!

Advertisement