Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value umbrella style buggy?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of retiring the big heavy bugaboo so I'm looking to buy a second hand umbrella style buggy and just wondering what you'd all recommend. I've had a maclaren previously and to be honest i couldn't fathom why they're so expensive. I'll be putting a near 1yr old in it so a good recline would be good. What would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

When you say umbrella style, what exactly do you mean?

We have a Silver Cross Micro that I got on Done deal for a light holiday buggy, that has an excellent recline and a very big hood. Steering is a bit tough on it though, but I'm comparing to an Out and About and a Vista.

I've heard good things about the Joie Mirus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

What do you mean buy umbrella style, a collapsible one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

An umbrella buggy is referring to a style of buggy that collapses like an umbrella. Maclaren would be the best known for that style. There are many makes though and they vary greatly price wise. I have a maclaren one op. I wanted the lightest one I could get and found after research maclaren to be the lightest compared to Cosatto, Mothercare etc. I've no idea about reliability comparisons. I just know that maclaren are around for yonks and are very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OP we have two here. A Mothercare one we bought new for €50 on sale and a McClaren we got given for free by a friend. The McClaren is easier to fold and lift back up but is far heavier. The Mothercare one took a bit of getting used to as there was a button on the bottom you had to press to collapse it. It's waaaaay lighter to carry and to push but can be cumbersome to move with a heavy baby in it. TBH if you keep your eyes peeled, all the umbrella buggies go for around the same price second hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We have a joie nitro. Just be wary on the length of the strollers: I drive a Dacia Duster it's not small and I had no problem with travel systems or double buggy etc: this on the other hand is quite long and only barely fit in the boot! Other than that I really liked it, the recline is good, and the then 3 year old would sit on the front in shops etc if she was tired with no problems. Well except her sister kicking her in the head ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I guess it doesn't have to be an umbrella one but it does need to be easy to bring on holidays. Car boot is huge so that's not an issue. I'm going to look at the Joie buggies at the weekend as the reviews seem to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yellow hen we have a maclaren. My sis had a mama and papas and it was way taller when folded. It didn't last and broke!! It was hard to push a heavy toddler. She bought it in argos. She then replaced it with a silvercross one. Can't remember which one but it is in lots of buggy shops. It was way better.

I have seen alot of people with that brand "cosatto". Don 't know anything about them.
    If I hadn't been given a maclaren I would of looked at the uppababy g luxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Which Maclaren were you using yellow hen? I wouldn't rate the quest at all but I bought a Maclaren techno when I was ready to stop using the travel system with my first. It's brilliant. It's suitable to use from birth and reclines fully, bigger wheels than the quest and an extendable hood. Great for holidays. I will be bringing it to the canaries next week for my four month old. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I also didn't like the maclaren especially the tiny hood and the lack of a belly bar. It is hard to find a stroller with a belly bar but for me a large hood is a must especially on holidays.

I have also got a Hauck Torro and the hood is great but the wheels slide rather than rotate on supermarket style floors. The belly bar is more of a chest bar and not too good.

I have heard lots of good things (and the odd bad) about the Zeta strollers on amazon which don't seem to have a belly bar but have a great hood and are so cheap. There is the Vooom which I think comes with a raincover and the Citi which is lighter and I am not sure if you need to purchase the rain cover separately.

Also like the look of the M&P Armadillo city but it is not an umbrella fold stroller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have a joie mirrus which I and my childminder adore. It's not umbrella fold but it's single hand, incredibly light and he's been comfortable since we got it (about 3 months old). He's now two and it's still in daily use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Weyhey have you looked at MacLaren techno? It's bigger, taller and sturdier than quest? I see a lot of older children 4years+ bringing it on holidays.

Advertisement