Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll- Do you care about Trump's taxes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Amerika wrote: »
    Oh, fear not. As long as Trump doesn't do anything really evil... like unleashing the IRS on his enemies, or acquire journalists' phone records, or persecute political opponents, or ignore Freedom Of Information Act requests, I think the First Amendment will survive. Perhaps if our MSM turns course form the lie machines they've become, they will start to again earn some of our respect.

And the best part is if/when he does, we all know who'll turn right around and say it's a good thing he did... just like gerrymandering!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭eire4

Oh, fear not. As long as Trump doesn't do anything really evil... like unleashing the IRS on his enemies, or acquire journalists' phone records, or persecute political opponents, or ignore Freedom Of Information Act requests, I think the First Amendment will survive. Perhaps if our MSM turns course form the lie machines they've become, they will start to again earn some of our respect.

Right because so far Trump has shown such a great open mind with anybody who is critical of them so far. In any case given you just parrot whatever the official Republican line is no matter what. As Trump's own behaviour in this regard has already show your parroting of the official Republican propaganda line as usual leaves you with a distinct lack of creditability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

eire4 wrote: »
    Right because so far Trump has shown such a great open mind with anybody who is critical of them so far. In any case given you just parrot whatever the official Republican line is no matter what. As Trump's own behaviour in this regard has already show your parroting of the official Republican propaganda line as usual leaves you with a distinct lack of creditability.

And the Democrats and MSN have become crazed lunatics with the mere mention of Trump. Look at the topics from yesterday’s Washington Post’s opinion page:

WapoOpeds.jpg

I kinda hope they both keep it up. And as a consequence the democrats will continue to lose elections, and the MSM will sink to an even lower trust level then the abysmal opinion the public already has of them.

Better come to terms with things. The Orange Overlord is winning, regardless of what the lie factories report. His cabinet picks will all be confirmed and will immediately go about reversing Obama's regulatory abuses of power.

But his taxes, oh, the taxes... right? Or is it the Russians, or the alt-right, or the Electoral College, or fake news. It's hard to keep up with the kool-aid flavor of the day.

And the Democrats and MSN have become crazed lunatics with the mere mention of Trump. Look at the topics from yesterday’s Washington Post’s opinion page:

WapoOpeds.jpg

I kinda hope they both keep it up. And as a consequence the democrats will continue to lose elections, and the MSM will sink to an even lower trust level then the abysmal opinion the public already has of them.

Better come to terms with things. The Orange Overlord is winning, regardless of what the lie factories report. His cabinet picks will all be confirmed and will immediately go about reversing Obama's regulatory abuses of power.

But his taxes, oh, the taxes... right? Or is it the Russians, or the alt-right, or the Electoral College, or fake news. It's hard to keep up with the cool-aid flavor of the day.

and as usual when you make a point and it is show to be false you change the topic hence your lack of credability. Again the point I am making has nothing at all to do with what you posted above. I am talking about the threats to infringe on the freedom of speach and freedom of the press which have been going under Bush and Obama and has already seen the US fall to 46th in the world in terms of press freedom. Now the Trump regime comes in and I think given his behaviour so far we will see an acceleration of infringing on the first amendment.

and as usual when you make a point and it is show to be false you change the topic hence your lack of credability. Again the point I am making has nothing at all to do with what you posted above. I am talking about the threats to infringe on the freedom of speach and freedom of the press which have been going under Bush and Obama and has already seen the US fall to 46th in the world in terms of press freedom. Now the Trump regime comes in and I think given his behaviour so far we will see an acceleration of infringing on the first amendment.

I wonder if someone's reponse is going to latch as strongly to this as possible, while ignoring all else - likely even the two words directly before it.

• Advertisement

And what are these threats to infringe on the freedom of speech and freedom of the press you speak about? They will be free to print their lies no matter what Trump does.

And what are these threats to infringe on the freedom of speech and freedom of the press you speak about? They will be free to print their lies no matter what Trump does.

Well lets see. For a start Trump has continually acted as bully on tweeter when facing any kind of criticism from people. Given his following there his aggressive behaviour has consequences for those who stand up and speak against him from an intimidation standpoint especially now he is about to be president that just increases the power. Both Bush and Obama went after whistleblowers and even jailed some. I expect this type of aggressive intimidation of the press to increase. I can see access to the president being restricted to only those in the press who will put forth the propaganda wanted and anybody critical will be excluded. The DOJ was used to go after reporters as for example the AP exposed in 2013. Phone records were seized, movements tracked etc. The FCC can be used to intimidate newsrooms. Refusal to deal with freedom of information requests, refusal to hold open press conferences rather then just scripted affairs, restrictions on how the president is shown and photographed etc etc.

Well lets see. For a start Trump has continually acted as bully on tweeter when facing any kind of criticism from people. Given his following there his aggressive behaviour has consequences for those who stand up and speak against him from an intimidation standpoint especially now he is about to be president that just increases the power. Both Bush and Obama went after whistleblowers and even jailed some. I expect this type of aggressive intimidation of the press to increase. I can see access to the president being restricted to only those in the press who will put forth the propaganda wanted and anybody critical will be excluded. The DOJ was used to go after reporters as for example the AP exposed in 2013. Phone records were seized, movements tracked etc. The FCC can be used to intimidate newsrooms. Refusal to deal with freedom of information requests, refusal to hold open press conferences rather then just scripted affairs, restrictions on how the president is shown and photographed etc etc.
    It appears the only real evidence of threats to infringe on the freedom of speech and freedom of the press were committed by Obama from your examples. The rest seems like conjecture. Are you sure it isn't Obama, and not Trump, where the greatest concerns should have been placed?

Billy86 wrote: »
    I wonder if someone's reponse is going to latch as strongly to this as possible, while ignoring all else - likely even the two words directly before it.

What do I win? :D

It appears the only real evidence of threats to infringe on the freedom of speech and freedom of the press were committed by Obama from your examples. The rest seems like conjecture. Are you sure it isn't Obama, and not Trump, where the greatest concerns should have been placed?

Only to people like yourself ( with your blinkered Republican corporatist glasses) who manage to avoid seeing the examples I give of Trumps intimidation and bullying behaviour already. Or the fact that Bush also jailed Whistleblowers. But certainly no question Obama has been terrible for freedom of the press as well no question about that. That is a fact and one I have no problem putting out there as his behaviour was wrong and needs to be called out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd love to see where his money ties are as would millions of the Americans he will be sworn to lead and protect the interests of by this weekend. We will get in all likelihood a lot of strings to a lot of foreigners. Like Russia.

Side note: did anyone else notice how obviously fake his prop folders were at that press conference? As in, none of the folders were even labeled...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yes, despite an Irish name, I'm both Irish and American, I'm entitled to vote, I do vote and as I have more than half a brain, I definitely did not vote for a liar like Trump! Now Permabear, since you are so interested in me, I must ask you, are you an American citizen, did you vote and were you fooled by the conman named Trump and did you vote for him?

I have many friends and relatives in America, fortunately most didn't vote for Trump, but I have a few misguided friends and relatives who did vote for Trump and it's very sad to say, but very true, the Trump supporters are the least intelligent and the least educated. This is a fact, from my circle of friends and relatives and it is also in line with many other statistics.

The sad thing, most of the people I know who voted for Trump are the ones who will be the most negatively affected by a Trump presidency, with the only exception is a few friends that seem very intelligent, but unfortunately they are devout Catholics and despite many of their different opinions with Trump, they voted for Trump because they are strongly anti-abortion and another exception is a friend who is heavily involved in Republican politics and he even admitted if the Republican candidate was Mickey Mouse, he still would have voted Republican.

I'm not attacking anyone in particular, but the facts are there, the less intelligent people voted for Trump, with a few exceptions. The ironic thing is a few years ago Trump was pro-abortion and there are unsubstantiated rumors that he paid for at least one abortions for an old girlfriend, but when he decided to run on the Republican ticket, he had to switch to the anti-abortion side. He also used to be for gun control too, he didn't have any moral epiphany, he just switched for the votes.

There you have it, anti-abortion people, NRA people, hard core Republicans who will vote republican even if it may hurt the country and stupid people, that's who voted for Trump, which one are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Well at least you didn't vote for Trump, but unfortunately in America a 3rd candidate has never won and may probably never win and as bad as you might have thought Hillary was, Trump is a virus and a vote for anyone but Clinton was a vote for Trump. I hope you are proud of yourself, because people who voted for Trump and those who stood back and let this liar become President have a lot to be accountable for. You may not realise it yet, but eventually many of the Trump supporters will wake up and realsie they were conned. Unfortunately, there is also many that are too stupid to ever realise they were conned and they're the ones who will be the worst affected, but there's nothing anyone can do for people like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I hope you are proud of yourself, because people who voted for Trump and those who stood back and let this liar become President have a lot to be accountable for. You may not realise it yet, but eventually many of the Trump supporters will wake up and realsie they were conned. Unfortunately, there is also many that are too stupid

And that is a very good example of why Hillary lost.

The sneering contempt, the abuse of those who dare to not do what you want them to do.

Keep it up, it is good reading!

And that is a very good example of why Hillary lost.

The sneering contempt, the abuse of those who dare to not do what you want them to do.

Keep it up, it is good reading!

Yes, you're right, Hillary lost because stupid people were conned by Trump, you've proved it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well at least you didn't vote for Trump, but unfortunately in America a 3rd candidate has never won and may probably never win and as bad as you might have thought Hillary was, Trump is a virus and a vote for anyone but Clinton was a vote for Trump. I hope you are proud of yourself, because people who voted for Trump and those who stood back and let this liar become President have a lot to be accountable for. You may not realise it yet, but eventually many of the Trump supporters will wake up and realsie they were conned. Unfortunately, there is also many that are too stupid to ever realise they were conned and they're the ones who will be the worst affected, but there's nothing anyone can do for people like that!

I voted for Johnson as well, for, I suspect, similar reasons to Perma. A vote for Johnson is.. oddly, and contrary to your statement, a vote for Johnson. Voting for Clinton indicates that I support her over all others, that she best reflects my ideals and thoughts, and guess what sort of a candidate would show up next time around? This would not be a correct reflection of my opinion. If the cost is four years of Trump, so be it (I was actually ready for four years of Clinton, and was as surprised as everyone else). A democrat wants my vote? Provide a better candidate than anyone else does.

Besides, had Johnson attained, what, 5% of the vote (?), the third party would have become eligible for federal financing. Which would be a good thing, I think.

I voted for Johnson as well, for, I suspect, similar reasons to Perma. A vote for Johnson is.. oddly, and contrary to your statement, a vote for Johnson. Voting for Clinton indicates that I support her over all others, that she best reflects my ideals and thoughts, and guess what sort of a candidate would show up next time around? This would not be a correct reflection of my opinion. If the cost is four years of Trump, so be it (I was actually ready for four years of Clinton, and was as surprised as everyone else). A democrat wants my vote? Provide a better candidate than anyone else does.

Besides, had Johnson attained, what, 5% of the vote (?), the third party would have become eligible for federal financing. Which would be a good thing, I think.

That's where you are wrong, voting for Johnson is like fighting with your allies during a zombie invasion! Trump is a menace to society, whatever issues you may of had with Clinton or any of the Democrats, it pales in comparison to Trump! Plus, sadly many people had issues with Hillary because they believed fake news from Russia and other places, but refused to believe many true terrible stories about Trump!

So you're proud of the lying lowlife president you now have? That's just great, I wonder if you'll feel the same way in 4 years!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's where you are wrong, voting for Johnson is like fighting with your allies during a zombie invasion! Trump is a menace to society, whatever issues you may of had with Clinton or any of the Democrats, it pales in comparison to Trump! Plus, sadly many people had issues with Hillary because they believed fake news from Russia and other places, but refused to believe many true terrible stories about Trump!

Oh, I am quite willing to accept that the stories about Trump were true. Part of the reason I didn't vote for him. And, if you don't mind, I'll be the judge of my issues I had with all the candidates.

Maybe you have the reading comprehension issues? Unfortunately life is filled with compromises, although Hillary did not meet all of my expectations, she was the better choice since other than people blinded by prejudices or stupidity, it was pretty obvious Hillary was the best choice and the only one who could stop the cancer called Trump. So a vote for anyone else was a vote for Trump. Plus Johnson wasn't such a good choice either, he's almost as dumb as Trump!

Not great choices, but in life many times we don't have ideal choices. Maybe Hillary might not be totally in line with your with your beliefs, but talk about someone who "acted in a manner contrary to my beliefs and preferences", is clearly Trump. Clinton might be 100 miles away, but Trump is a billion miles away!

When you see the real Donald Trump and he starts destroying America, unraveling democracy and further separates the haves from the have nots, you'll have plenty of regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

When you see the real Donald Trump and he starts destroying America, unraveling democracy and further separates the haves from the have nots, you'll have plenty of regrets!

Agreed.

Well that is what the Americans want, as everyone knew what he is, they still voted for him. Too many clearly believed his BS and forgot about the real Trump. They made their beds now so they have to lay in them, to use an old expression. I cannot think of one redeeming quality he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Yes, if all the people in North Carolina who voted for Johnson voted for Clinton, Trump would have still won, but if Clinton got all of the independent votes, she would have won NC. Clinton getting all the independent votes is a bit of a stretch, but in other states, such as Pennsylvania, the Johnson vote was critical. In PA Trump won by only 68,000 votes and Johnson got 143,000 votes and Stein got 49,000 votes. So, yes, in PA a vote for Johnson was a vote for Trump.

Advertisement