Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People you respect

• 12-01-2017 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Johnny Vegas.

Fat f*ck. You have to Google him everytime you think of him to see if he's dead yet. Drinks, smokes and has the bants. Doesn't give a sh*t and he's dead right.

Total inspiration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Johnny Vegas.

Fat f*ck. You have to Google him everytime you think of him to see if he's dead yet. Drinks, smokes and has the bants. Doesn't give a sh*t and he's dead right.

Total inspiration.

Married an Irish girl too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

My Missus.
    Hard worker and the patience of a saint.
    I don't know how she keeps going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Omar Little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

My auld lad. Taught me you don't need the finer things in life to be happy, just appreciate what you have and make improvements if they're needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

The creator of battered mars bars. He did more for obesity than anyone on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

the mainstream media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Rickshaw drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

John Lydon
    Christopher Hitchens
    Alain Prost
    Noam Chomsky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Clarebelly wrote: »
    My Missus.
    Hard worker and the patience of a saint.
    I don't know how she keeps going.

She reads your posts ya? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

katie hopkins. tells it like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rickshaw drivers.

Particularly the rickshaw driver who transported myself and a fellow portly gentleman to a Dominos branch in India at 11pm one evening when we were gasping for a taste of normal grub.

That poor wee motor probably never worked again after dragging about 35 stone of tubby Irishmen up steep wee roads in search of pizza.

My mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Chris Eubank.mad as a hatter but couldn't give a monkeys.
    Morgan freeman.
    Joey Dunlop for dominating his sport despite the risk and never quitting while paying the ultimate price in the end.also all the charity work he did without advertising it.if a sportsman did that charity work today you wouldn't hear the end of it through social media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Enzo Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Erich von Falkenhayn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was brought up to respect everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ernest Shackleton - put the lives of his men before his own ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    John Lydon
    Christopher Hitchens
    Alain Prost
    Noam Chomsky

Johnny Rotten? - That's slightly unusual company for the others!

I find it hard to narrow it down but I suppose Bill Gates + Warren Buffet would have to be up there, both made and unimaginable amount of money and then done the almost unheard of by putting it to good use. The gates foundation vaccinates more dirt poor kids against horrible but easily preventable diseases than the world health organisation does - that's the kind of impact the super wealthy few could have, but most of them just want to exploit those same kids just to hoard ever bigger mountains of money for god knows what reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Richard Bruton. Not that much of a pandering type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Johnny is a little odd but I respect him as a truth-teller.

Called out Jimmy Saville long before everyone knew.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Arsene Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Like Srameen above, I too believe EVERYONE is deserving of my respect, with my own caveat of - until they prove otherwise.

It makes me despair when the usual suspects come on to say "such and such a person (Garda/Doctor/Priest/Politician/Motorist/Cyclist etc) has to earn my respect".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Tommy Flowers. Humble post office engineer who saw something that needed building and by crikey built it.

Dwight Eisenhower.

Kenneth Lane Thompson. Can't talk, hacking, go away...

Mick Doohan. The Mighty Ocker. Quick Mick. Doohan OK. Hardness personified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bubblypop wrote: »
    My mam.

bubblypop's mam.

Oh, and Stalin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Dar100 smashing guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Johnny Vegas.

Total inspiration.

He also sold his wedding photos to viz for £1. If for nothing else, he deserves respect for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

whiterob81 wrote: »
    He also sold his wedding photos to viz for £1. If for nothing else, he deserves respect for that.

I like him a lot too - he is a smart guy. Jarlath Regan interviewed hm on the Irish Man Abraod podcast and he was fascinating, really honest and charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 zjflikeIrish

Glen Hansard!

He is so genuine in his songs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The person who made the decision to make seedless jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Glen Hansard!

He is so genuine in his songs.

Hi Glen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The person who made the decision to make seedless jam.

I wonder was he the same person who decided to make marmalade without the peal in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Mark Knopfler

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I wonder was he the same person who decided to make marmalade without the peal in it.

I don't think so, I imagine there was a Clinton V Trump, Liverpool V Man UTD, Tayto V King style grudge between the marmalade people and jam people back in the day.

• Advertisement

Too many to mention really - and usually all for different reasons.

The first three names that jumped into my head on reading the thread title I will go with - but I could add another 50 without much effort.

Sam Harris would be up there though - he is intent on having difficult conversations and improving how people have conversations - and destigmatising conversations he thinks we need to have as a people. It is debatable how successful he is being at it of course - but I greatly admire his effort and intent and dedication to it.

Jocko Willick of the Jocko podcast. A highly decorated Ex-Marine who has turned his eye to BJJ and self betterment and self discipline. His podcasts tend to be a mix of motivation - physical health - wartime stories and war philosophy - and BJJ as an art form and almost a religion so much as just a fighting form. He is just a ball of raw unrefinded intellect only barely wrapped up in any overly formal education.

The Green Brothers - formerly of Vlogbrothers fame and recently of best selling fiction fame and big screen movies - for their efforts in bringing knowledge and science understanding for free to the masses. SciShow - SciShow space - SciShow Kids - Crash Course - and multiple other channels they now host and bring to the world - and all the social work and depression awareness work they do under the "nerdfighters" project.

Everyone working with the MaiKhanda Trust to reduce the horrific maternal death and infant mortality rates in Malawi, everyone working at the pediatric HIV clinic in Kamzu Central Hospital, and all those engaged in similar work throughout the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

No one mentioned me. Cheek of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

David Irvine
    Was the leader of Progressive Unionist Party in Northern Ireland during the Good Friday Agreement.
    Brought some of the most hard line loyalists under the peace process umbrella, when they were going to be losing out, in their minds, for every positive step the peace process took.

A neighbour who has seen a lot of adversity in the last 10 years, but always seems to have a sunny side out mentality and is the strong person within their family circle who others turn to at times of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Johnny Vegas.

Total inspiration.

He's only 46 though. He may not live into old age with that kind of lifestyle.

But sure like you say, maybe he's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

David Irvine
    Was the leader of Progressive Unionist Party in Northern Ireland during the Good Friday Agreement.
    Brought some of the most hard line loyalists under the peace process umbrella, when they were going to be losing out, in their minds, for every positive step the peace process took.

A neighbour who has seen a lot of adversity in the last 10 years, but always seems to have a sunny side out mentality and is the strong person within their family circle who others turn to at times of need.

Good call. A former UVF man in his youth who turned his back on violence and helped many others to see the light.

His family have also done great work to repromote the Irish language in Unionist communities in recent years. People don't realise the history between Unionism and the Irish language, it was once spoken in many communities.

I think Ervine changed many peoples perspectives on unionism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Elon Musk. He's ahead of his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

David Irvine

Very respected by many Nationalists too, which is just slightly less impressive than being actually able to fly.

There's a documentary on Netflix called The Art Of Conflict (about the murals in Northern Ireland, narrated by Vince Vaughn for some reason) that has a fair bit of footage of him, and AFAIR his son (who's a muralist) is involved in a lot of community outreach/harmony stuff. Good people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was brought up to respect everybody.
    Gold star for you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

The ordinary, everyday people of South Lebanon are my heroes.
    They had their country and economy destroyed by Civil War, Invasions and terrorism, but just seem to get on with life, eking a living anyway they can.

Very few whingers among them, but grateful for our presence, and the protection of their villages, as best we could.
    The many Irish soldiers that died doing just that will never be forgotten there.

I spent a few years there with the UN and witnessed the ordinary populations suffering first hand; the Lebanese are a noble people, and it was an honor to serve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Very respected by many Nationalists too, which is just slightly less impressive than being actually able to fly.

There's a documentary on Netflix called The Art Of Conflict (about the murals in Northern Ireland, narrated by Vince Vaughn for some reason) that has a fair bit of footage of him, and AFAIR his son (who's a muralist) is involved in a lot of community outreach/harmony stuff. Good people.

It was made by Vince Vaughn's sister Valeri. A good watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

mzungu wrote: »

She's not Irish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Tom Waits.
    Werner Herzog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think Mary Robinson - she broke the back of the croony octogenarian boys club that had been the presidental 'handshake payoff' in Iteland since the beginning of the state & made it a modern, relevant, positive office and put Ireland in the map - and followed up with a highly successful UN role showing she wasn't just a catchy tune. I don't agree with all she did but she did do great work.

Michael O'Leary - who broke the back of the union monopoly that was Aer Lingus - bringing the proce if flights from the UK from £620 to as little as £50 overnight. He has singlehandedly and through determination & force of will transformed social travel & exploring Europe and made it an option for tens of thousands who would otherwise never have been able to afford it at the old extortionate prices.

The parents who founded, funded and made the HSE and government eventually give a tiny sum of funds for their much needed Hospice for Children - three words that should never come together. before they started terminally ill children were dying in the grimmest of sutuations in sharded communal adult wards while their heartbroken familes watched behind plastic dividing curtains.

Everybody who volunteers and supports Barretstown - imagine guving your holidays to work & be happy in that most tragic & demanding of sutuation. They get no funding from the givernment. Unimaginable.

My elderly relation, who through illness & adversity has always kept their dignity, values & sense of person & humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Michael O'Leary - who broke the back of the union monopoly that was Aer Lingus - bringing the proce if flights from the UK from £620 to as little as £50 overnight. He has singlehandedly and through determination & force of will transformed social travel & exploring Europe and made it an option for tens of thousands who would otherwise never have been able to afford it at the old extortionate prices..

I've never understood the ill will towards Michael O'Leary - particularly the accusation that he's a thieving, money grabbing so and so.
    First time I flew to the UK, maybe 25 years ago Aer Lingus, so beloved by the Irish people, charged me something like £350 return to London - they did give me a nice "free" cup of tea though, bless 'em.
    Last time I flew there, Michael charged me €19.98 return to Liverpool - charged me 2 quid for the tea though the thieving bastard!
    The parents who founded, funded and made the HSE and government eventually give a tiny sum of funds for their much needed Hospice for Children - three words that should never come together. before they started terminally ill children were dying in the grimmest of sutuations in sharded communal adult wards while their heartbroken familes watched behind plastic dividing curtains. .

This is the only charity I regularly donate too, have a standing order set up in fact. I regularly read their bed time stories to my daughters at night, the eldest one (nearly 4) loves them - it always resonates with me the sheer heartbreak that lies behind something she enjoys so much.
    Life really deals some people a shítty hand. I honestly can't commend these people highly enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement