Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia 2017 interview timings/ advice

Options
  • 12-01-2017 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys, 
    I'm just looking for some help. 

I'm currently working abroad until summer so I need rough estimates of dates of starting times of courses as  I'm really interested in starting the hibernia PME in September 2017. My questions are as follows , just need roughly dates so I can plan around leaving my work abroad in time. 
    - when Hibernia summer interviews start and finish? 
    - when does orientation start for sept 17
    - when are Hibernia March cohorts interviews? 
    - If I was to do my interview in march 2017 for the spring cohort, would I be able to defer my place until September and would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Hey guys, 

I'm currently working abroad until summer so I need rough estimates of dates of starting times of courses as  I'm really interested in starting the hibernia PME in September 2017. My questions are as follows , just need roughly dates so I can plan around leaving my work abroad in time. 
    - If I was to do my interview in march 2017 for the spring cohort, would I be able to defer my place until September and would it cost?

Hi, I dont have much information on the Sep cohort but the Spring cohort interviews are on at the minute and will for another 6 weeks or so.
    Also you can defer.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Hey guys, 

I was due to start last September, but deferred. You can defer up to 2 times before you lose your place and deposit of €1,000.
    You can currently still apply and do the interview to start in the Spring Cohert, which is due to commence the week of April 3rd. But all paperwork and fees are due in by February 17th.

I don't know the dates for this coming Sept, but last Septembers start date was for the week of August 29th, and fees and paperwork were due August 8th.

Once you receive the offer of your place, you have a week (I think, can't remember exactly!) to pay the €1,000 deposit, but there is no additional cost to defer. You still need to submit all your paperwork, student card photo and Garda vetting straight away though, with an additional federal form, which they will email to you if you ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Thanks a million for your replies. My situation is that, I'm currently in the UAE, and I don't know how easy it would be for me to get home for an interview, unless they accommodated me on a Friday maybe. I could possibly come home for a weekend, do the interview for the spring cohort and then defer it until September, that would leave my summer free.  But then I'll need the latest date possible for interview so I could brush up majorly on my Irish.. Oh god, I don't know

Thanks a million for your replies. My situation is that, I'm currently in the UAE, and I don't know how easy it would be for me to get home for an interview in spring, unless they accommodated me on a Friday maybe. I could possibly come home for a weekend, do the interview for the spring cohort and then defer it until September, that would leave my summer free.  But then I'll need the latest date possible for interview so I could brush up majorly on my Irish.. Oh god, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Thanks a million for your replies. My situation is that, I'm currently in the UAE, and I don't know how easy it would be for me to get home for an interview, unless they accommodated me on a Friday maybe. I could possibly come home for a weekend, do the interview for the spring cohort and then defer it until September, that would leave my summer free. But then I'll need the latest date possible for interview so I could brush up majorly on my Irish.. Oh god, I don't know

Id say your best to call their Office Mon- Fri and talk to someone.
    The Irish part of the interview isnt bad at all, i know from many that did it before. Your irish will only need to improve for when your on the actual course.

• Advertisement

I read previously, that if they can see you have a decent level of Irish, but just need a little refresh, they send you on a short course a week or two prior to starting the orientation.
    But really the interview is fine. I know others that did the 6 and 8 week Irish courses, and although they said it really helped with the interview, I found that listening to Radio na Gaeltachta, reading a bit and just short oral practices were more than enough to get me through. I wouldn't pay the crazy money for those courses, unless you have been unsuccessful in the interview already.
    I actually posted all the questions they asked me last year on another thread, so if you search through my other posts, you should be able to get a good idea of what you need to practice vocab. wise.
    They are also really understanding, so I'm sure if you email/phone them they and explain your travel situation they will do their best to accommodate a Friday interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

I read previously, that if they can see you have a decent level of Irish, but just need a little refresh, they send you on a short course a week or two prior to starting the orientation.
    But really the interview is fine. I know others that did the 6 and 8 week Irish courses, and although they said it really helped with the interview, I found that listening to Radio na Gaeltachta, reading a bit and just short oral practices were more than enough to get me through. I wouldn't pay the crazy money for those courses, unless you have been unsuccessful in the interview already.
    I actually posted all the questions they asked me last year on another thread, so if you search through my other posts, you should be able to get a good idea of what you need to practice vocab. wise.
    They are also really understanding, so I'm sure if you email/phone them they and explain your travel situation they will do their best to accommodate a Friday interview.

What would your advice be for the general interview?

are you on the course so at the minute?

are you on the course so at the minute?

I actually deferred twice, but I am due to finally take up my place this April. I have a couple of friends that have completed the course, both secondary and primary :)

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    What would your advice be for the general interview?

Sorry for the delay SheldonC17, only saw your message now. If you check through my profile and check my previous posts, last year I posted all the questions they asked me :)

• Advertisement

Just regarding the academic reference in the application form, I'm currently working in a school in the UAE, who won't give me a reference.. they will just give me a letter stating 
    " X has worked in this school from August 2012 - present"
    Would this be acceptable as an academic reference? Do you think I'd need to get it off the principal from the school I'm currently working at, or would a supervisor or head do? My school is just being difficult but its making me nervous for the  application if I can't get the reference they want

arghh

I had been out of formal education for 4/5 years, so doubted whether any of my lecturers would have any idea who I was, but when I attended the Hibernia open day I asked about this and they said an employer would do, and not to worry too much about this.
    If you send Hibernia a quick email explaining your situation, they will advise on who they will accept as a reference. I would imagine that a Supervisor or Department Head wouldn't be an issue, I personally think they would know you better anyway, though that is just my opinion.

Thanks Tooty :) I've emailed them now, and I'm just waiting to hear back. My school are just acting a pain and are refusing to give me one. Can you remember if we would need it on headed paper??

Thanks Tooty :) I've emailed them now, and I'm just waiting to hear back. My school are just acting a pain and are refusing to give me one. Can you remember if we would need it on headed paper??

You wont need it on headed paper, if it is great if not dont worry.

Ah great ! But does it need some sort of stamp to say its  true or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

Hi All, Im seriously thinking of applying for this Aprils course. I am a working professional for the past 8 years, and have been thinking about doing this since I was in college studying Science! I know everyone asks this, but I would love to hear other peoples stories who have taken a total career change, like people in their 30's who have went for it and not regretted it.
    Thanks in advance for any replies :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Cream Bun wrote: »
    ...I would love to hear other peoples stories who have taken a total career change, like people in their 30's who have went for it and not regretted it.

I'm not in my 30s yet, but I made the leap in my mid-20s. I was working in a full-time, career job which paid well but I wasn't enjoying the work and I never saw myself settling there. Took the Hibernia part-time course while working full-time. It was probably the toughest two years of my life, but it was worth it. When on teaching practice I worked 7 day weeks and there were days where I worked 15/16 hours between both jobs. No regrets here; I love my job.

I was very lucky as I walked into a full timetable upon leaving college. There were quite a few retirements in my place (due to the lucrative retirement incentives), so I was lucky to avoid starting out on a low hour contract. Some of the other teachers I worked with had very small timetables, and getting by on a 4 hour contract seemed very tough. While I love my job, the hardest thing to adjust to is the salary. I initially took about a €13k cut when I changed career, and with that came a lot of lifestyle changes. This was something I hadn't properly prepared for.

If I were you, I'd be thinking about the potentially tough entry (although Science teachers are in demand), but you'd need to be prepared for casual/part-time work upon leaving college. Another stumbling block that ties in with my previous point is the salary; you'll be starting at the bottom of the salary scale, and with a low hour contract you'd need to be prepared for low wages.

Best of luck with your decision.

Hi Notorius, thats good to know & great you got proper hours.. Its primary school that I would be thinking of doing so might be a bit different to secondary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 time2move

Cream bun just wondering if you applied for Hibernia for April? Am awaiting an interview date and was wondering how the interview went for you? Need serious work on my Irish.

time2move wrote: »
    Cream bun just wondering if you applied for Hibernia for April? Am awaiting an interview date and was wondering how the interview went for you? Need serious work on my Irish.

For the Irish you'll be fine for the interview be able to talk about yourself and interests and how you got to the interview
    You'll need to do the work once your on the course.

• Advertisement

time2move wrote: »

Hi Timetomove I applied on Friday. My Irish needs some serious work 😦 They told me on the phone if I can practice speaking Irish every day for next 10 days I might be ok.. Interviews will be soon Im thinking so wont have much time. Should have been doing this months ago but life got in the way! Ill try anyway and if i dont get it can try for September then. Only thing is the fees are increasing to 15k in September..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Cream Bun is that increase in fees for Hibernia only?

Cream Bun is that increase in fees for Hibernia only?

Yes I heard Hibernia fees are increasing. Not sure what fees you wanted to find out about

I found that listening to one of the Irish radio stations in the week before the interview helped bring back my Leaving Cert Irish. This along with reading some basic Irish books, really helped.

With reference to the fees thing, it seems they have increased every single cohort. When I applied last year it was €12,400, a year later €12,700. Seems to be a regular thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 time2move

Best of luck creambun. I'm a loooong time out of school so serious brushing up needed!

Start listening to radio na Gaeltachta and the news in Irish throughout the day, see how much you can pick up without hearing it in English, listen to Cormac ag a Cúig on RnaG its like Matt Coopers drivetime but in Irish it will help you hear different dialects, be open to listening to it and you will improve.
    Join your local libary and pick books where you can understand 80% of the words on a page, then start reading but reading outloud aswell so you get used to using the language.

Practice, practice, practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi Guys,

I submitted my application 2 weeks ago, but have not had any update on interviews. I was wondering how long it took from submitting the application to getting your interview time and date?

When is the closing date rossoc? You will probably hear within a fortnight of that, the next cohort begins in April so you'll have enough time to plan towards that post getting an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi jimbobaloobob,

The closing date was almost two weeks ago, i'd say we will find out this week so. Thank you for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 canaryfairy

Hi All,

I had my interview last summer for the September intake and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in the Irish interview.

They contacted me giving me the option to repeat the Irish interview only for the April intake in March 2017. (I do not have to repeat the English interview as I was successful in this)

So my Irish interview is in the coming week. I'm really nervous and I'm terrified that they will be harder on repeat Irish interviews because they know we failed it already. Has anyone any experience with this? If I fail this then I can't reapply for the next two years so the anxiety is hitting big time. A lot riding on 15 minutes.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Advertisement