Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia 2017 interview timings/ advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

What did they ask you last time canary fairy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 canaryfairy

Hi Jimbobaloobob,

A few questions that I can remember from the English interview are:

- All about myself, my education, how did I get to this stage
    - What would I do if I had to deal with a difficult parent.
    - What way do I structure my work
    - Why do I want to be a teacher
    - Why do I think teachers make a difference in children's lives.

My Irish interview then was a complete mess. I was so nervous and had only completed my final college exams two weeks beforehand so I know that I didn't put in enough effort - and it obviously went against me. Unfortunately the Irish interviewer knew the area I was from and was asking me all about it - he knew more than I did!! Obviously, this was just a fluke but because I stumbled on the first few questions I just went to pieces then! :pac:

But they did ask me:

- How did I get to the interview
    - What was I going to do after the interview
    - Biggest problem in Ireland today
    - Technology in the workplace - How would I bring it to the classroom

I really do think the Irish interview is okay, I just let myself down by panicking!! :(

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could let me know how their interviews go and what they got asked... I'm praying for a good outcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Roisinnolan

Hi I had my interview on Tuesday and was offered my place yesterday. The Irish was so general all basic questions they asked me and I messed up a few times but still got in. They're so helpful and helped me out a few times when I couldn't remember a few words. Any help I can gI've just let me know ��

Well done Roisin.

Now the real work begins. Best of luck with it. It's a big volume programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 time2move

Well done Roisin, did you hear back yet Canaryfairy. I'm still waiting for an interview date!

• Advertisement

time2move wrote: »
    Well done Roisin, did you hear back yet Canaryfairy. I'm still waiting for an interview date!

im sure youll hear soon now and it will all happen fairly quickly then.

Well done Roisin, that is great news! Can you think of any of the Irish questions you were asked?

I'm trying to cover as many as I can... the more random the better in case I walk myself into any difficulties!

I haven't had my interview yet @time2move, it is late this week so keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

I'll let you know what questions I'm asked when I'm done - it might be useful! :)

Hopefully we will all get to induction! :)

Just want to get the date now Jimbob, are you on the course already?
    Best of luck canaryfairy, it sounds like you are putting the work in so really hope it pays off for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hey guys, I have my interview tomorrow. Any last min tips? Even though I know just be myself and let why I want to teach come out and it should be grand.
    Very nervous but I think I am prepared. With the start date looming, I would say they'll be quite quick with the offers If we have been accepted. @Roisin, that only took a few days? Like 2-3 is it?

rossoc wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have my interview tomorrow. Any last min tips? Even though I know just be myself and let why I want to teach come out and it should be grand.
    Very nervous but I think I am prepared. With the start date looming, I would say they'll be quite quick with the offers If we have been accepted. @Roisin, that only took a few days? Like 2-3 is it?

Aw best of luck for tomorrow! It is a great experience and they are so nice. It is a tough interview but after a few mins you will relax and it will all flow. The relief when it's over is so worth it. Yea I had my interview the Tuesday and had my email at 3 on Thursday. You could even find out sooner if the start date is looming. Best of luck and let us know how you get on! Fingers crossed for you :)

• Advertisement

best of luck rossoc!

You'll fly it. I found out the day after my interview that I was successful - I presume because the start date is so soon!

Let us know how you get on :)

Yeah i'm really hoping it flows! Lets hope its a success and we will all be at orientation!!

Just like last min things, any chance Canaryfairy you could help me out with what kind of things they asked you?

rossoc wrote: »
    Just like last min things, any chance Canaryfairy you could help me out with what kind of things they asked you?

They will most likely ask you about yourself, your work, where your from and how you got to the interview today.

They might ask you about pastimes etc but you can use it as a time to just chat in Irish. My interview ended up being a chat about weekend sport because i had asked them if they saw it during our initial hellos.

Thanks a million jimbobaloobob, that's perfect. I should be fine, I think the nerves are just kicking in :P

Best of luck rossoc and congrats canaryfairy! My interview is next week and am still terrified!

Just had my interview, it was difficult and they really tried to get to the root of my motivation for teaching. That is something they focused on. Best of luck time2move, I hope it will go well for you!

Were those questions regarding motivation to teach in English or Irish Rossoc?
    Hope you hear back soon with good news :)

Hi Time2move,

They were in English, like first question was straight out, "Why do you want to be a teacher" and it led from there. In Irish, it was lovely, a proper conversation to see how well I can speak the language vs. what paragraphs did I learn off about the education system etc. I couldn't have prepared anything for it but it didn't matter as I felt comfortable.

Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like it went really well. Fingers crossed for you...and me!

• Advertisement

I think a big part of it to show you dont want to be a Dubai teacher so to speak.

Just got my acceptance email guys, I'm delighted. See you all at orientation day :)

Congratulations rosso! I'm in next week. How was your Irish piece, anything about current affairs or difficult topics?

Hi time2move,

Not at all, it was lovely, very much a conversation. They just asked questions about what I was saying. They asked a good bit about the language but that's only because I messaged the Gaeltacht and my interest in the Language. They asked a couple of questions about where I am from, as in, did I have any facts etc. But all in all, it was very manageable.

well done rossoc!! great news! What cohort are you in?

@time2move, my Irish interview was very general too. I got asked a lot about my area and the Gaeltacht that is nearby. Why I wanted to be a teacher and what I did in College and that led onto whether I liked it or not and did my course help my job now. You can kind of lead it.

I was dreading mine too honestly I was nearly sick, but coming out of there I felt great because it is no where near as bad as we think it is.

Let us know how you get on!! :)

Thanks guys, going to give it my best shot but I'm a long, long time out of school!

fair play all,
    time2move dont let that bother you that can be a bonus, im in year too and about to celebrate a milestone bday.

Has anyone who got accepted to start in April Heard anything from the college since paying? All I know is we are starting online the 3rd of April and are in ucd the 8th. When should we get our log in details and student cards? Well done to everyone who got accepted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Amyfxo

I have my interview tomorrow and I felt ok about everything until now lol equally as nervous for the English interview as the Irish

Advertisement