Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XC Running Spikes

Options
  • 12-01-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Quick question, could you use long distance track running spikes for a cross country run

looking to do one or 2 cross country races for the craic, so just looking at getting a cheap enough pair of spikes as i wont get much use out of them.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Quick question, could you use long distance track running spikes for a cross country run

looking to do one or 2 cross country races for the craic, so just looking at getting a cheap enough pair of spikes as i wont get much use out of them.

cheers

Obviously yes, just purchase longer spikes and replace the track nibs. However XC spikes typically have a ridged footplate to allow for more traction, it would be unusual to find this on a track spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Also, track spike uppers tend to be made out of much flimsier material than XC spikes. I wore track spikes last season and they were pretty much destroyed within 3 races

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

For the last two seasons, I have used my Summer track spikes as my Winter XC spikes with no issues. They're very light, which is great and don't soak up water. Mine are Adizero Avanti, I think. As advised above, just switch the 5/6mm spikes to 9/12mm spikes if the ground is bad. I find with track spikes going 12mm can be a bit overkill as the placement for the spike tends to protrude from the plate in any case so the 12mm spikes are effecively about 20mm from the bottom of the shoe.

Advertisement