Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Centre PC

Options
  • 12-01-2017 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice. I purchased a Mele PCG03 about 2 years ago from Futeko. I used it as media centre connected to TV and found it great. So it looks to have packed up. I have moved house and never really worked right after moving, the wifi seemed to have stopped and when I went to reload the OS it just crapped out. Now it wont boot past Intel logo and have tried instructions to reinstall from SD card but wont work, just hangs, system board or HDD gone

Looking for advice for replacement, what would best option be? I connect a 500GB USB drive which holds all moves etc on it.

Any idea's? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ..........I have moved house and never really worked right after moving, the wifi seemed to have stopped and when I went to reload the OS it just crapped out. Now it wont boot past Intel logo and have tried instructions to reinstall from SD card but wont work, just hangs, system board or HDD gone

Looking for advice for replacement, what would best option be? I connect a 500GB USB drive which holds all moves etc on it.

Any idea's? Thanks

Have you thought about taking the thing to a "Laptop repair" shop? Quite a couple have sprung up in the past few months in Dublin. Quality may vary though. Assess the quality of conversation with the staff to see if they're trying to push you in any direction of cr@p they want to sell you.

Have you thought about going back to the place you bought it - maybe talk about a suitable replacement or repair if the establishment is anyway worth it's salt.

Anyway...my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could make a live boot usb drive,
    and load linux from the usb drive.
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

plug in usb drive ,press f12 key to see a menu , select boot device, boot from usb drive.
    Or go to the Main bios menu set boot menu= usb =first boot device.
    IT sounds like the flash drive 32gig is faulty or disconnected from the motherboard.
    if it boots up ubuntu see if it works can you play music or browse the web.
    or play movies .
    IT might work as a linux pc.
    i used a linux live cd on my pc for a month before i bought a new drive.
    Press delete or one of the function keys to load up the bios menu,
    does the boot menu show a 32gig drive?
    I have an old 2gig usb drive with linux os that i use to boot up pcs, if i,m fixing them .

or the hd drive is dead.
    OR just buy another pc that has hdmi out .
    Any pc will work ok on a tv if you set resolution on the pc to 1024x768 .
    and plug in a vga cable into the tv vga port.
    Make sure the pc graphics card refresh rate is set to 60mhz .
    before you connect to the tv.
    see tv manual pc to tv settings ,resolutions etc

Advertisement