Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house/garda vetting

Options
  • 12-01-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys

I have 3 kids 2 have asd and multiple other diagnosis, we have been accepted on the transfer list on medical grounds for a council property , got a call today that a house is available and its not finished yet and they have to send us garda vetting forms.
    Does this usually follow up with a house offer?
    Just wondering is us completing the garda vetting a usual step and maybe loads of people got the call?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's a mandatory step and it's right too.
    The council are giving the property to someone and it's only right that the occupants are Garda vetted.

Now in many case it passes through ok but the council cannot pick and choose who they apply the vetting to so it's a blanket requirement to bet everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its the same as the last time you got a council house I would believe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd imagine if no one in your family has a track record of anti social behaviour then you'll be fine
    <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »
    It's a mandatory step and it's right too.
    The council are giving the property to someone and it's only right that the occupants are Garda vetted.

What sort of previous crimes disqualify a person from being entitled to council housing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What sort of previous crimes disqualify a person from being entitled to council housing?

Not sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Usually drugs or serious anti social behaviour but you rarely if ever hear anyone disqualified based off having a criminal record ,even sex offenders are housed by local authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine for a housing transfer they try to keep an eye to make sure that people aren't trying to transfer themselves closer to know associates, family member, or even people they're trying to intimidate.

It might also exclude you from a transfer, if there's someone else without a criminal background waiting on the same house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine for a housing transfer they try to keep an eye to make sure that people aren't trying to transfer themselves closer to know associates, family member, or even people they're trying to intimidate.

The guards certainly appreciate knowing where the council are proposing to put people, and have been known to offer suggestions based on their operational experience with certain families.

Possibly this is why vetting is done - and there are actually no crimes which would stop you being allocated a council house after you have served your sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Gatling wrote: »
    Usually drugs or serious anti social behaviour but you rarely if ever hear anyone disqualified based off having a criminal record ,even sex offenders are housed by local authorities

This is not the case at all!! There are a number of factors that influence this, most notable the fact that with such a shortage of units they will just about refuse all conviction

Advertisement