Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honor 8 Smartphone

• 12-01-2017 1:06pm

high-end specs for £298.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phones-Smartphones/Honor-GB-RAM-Dual-Camera-SIM-Free-Smartphone/B01KV3AY60/ref=sr_1_1?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1484222251&sr=1-1&keywords=honor+8

dual-lens camera (like iphone 7 plus) - very good for pictures (better than oneplus 3 and approaching top-end apple and samsung), some reports that video not as good as the pictures but if you're not a big video user should be ok. can shoot RAW format with 3rd party camera apps.
    basically the same phone as the Huawei 9 (flagship) but with a different chassis.
    sapphire blue is the best colour apparently from reviews.
    some review sites report amazing battery life better than oneplus 3, some not as good as oneplus 3. user reports seem happy with battery life.
    plenty powerful in terms of cpu.
    5.2 inch screen. full hd.
    all metal and glass on front and back. (will attract fingerprints but that's the price to pay for a lovely finish).
    supposed to be very attractive and high-end in the flesh.
    nfc, ir remote control.
    Will be updated to nougat in Feb with the Huawei AI features that have been well reviewed. (emui 5).
    Will be supported for updates until aug/sep 2018.
    4gb ram, 32gb rom, micro sd card expandable.
    unlocked, dual sim(one sim slot doubles as sd card slot).
    3000mah battery. non-replacable.
    fingerprint sensor.
    fast charging (proprietary).

review ->
    http://www.androidcentral.com/honor-8-review

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

interested to here boardsies reviews on this!

I've ordered one!

gone back to £370 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

It is very close to the Huawei P9 , so a good buy if you don't want to be stuck to a contract
    the only really drawback is the body - it is glass - looks nice out of the box but smears, gets dirty and a little fragile

It is very close to the Huawei P9 , so a good buy if you don't want to be stuck to a contract
    the only really drawback is the body - it is glass - looks nice out of the box but smears, gets dirty and a little fragile

true. I'll probably put something on the back of it. I had a sony Z series recently though that was all glass and didn't have too much issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Hey guys, was told the Honor 8 was a very good phone but just looking to see if any boardsies have it and what do they think?

Also, this is the Honor 8 Lite, half the price of the Honor 8. Anyone know the real difference?

Cheers guys
    http://www.oppomart.com/huawei/honor8/huawei-honor-8-lite.html

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

I got it a while back and while I like the phone the glass back is a disaster - it's like handling a bar of soap. Before I got a cover it would actually move on surfaces when it was left down. The front screen is slipier than I would like too - perhaps that's my imagination. The Huawei version of Android takes a bit of getting used to too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

That phone was high-end a while back but not anymore.

It's positively bad-value in comparison to some of the Chinese phones which can be bought in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

That phone was high-end a while back but not anymore.

It's positively bad-value in comparison to some of the Chinese phones which can be bought in Europe.

Can you give some examples? I am looking for something sub €300 with my main priority being to get something with as strong a camera as possible for that money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can you give some examples? I am looking for something sub €300 with my main priority being to get something with as strong a camera as possible for that money.

Motorola G4+/5+ is sort of in your price range- and has good specs and a reasonable camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

If the camera is your main priority, for that price an LG G4 could be a good option. The camera on it is incredible.

I have the honor 8. with the update to EMUI 5 on Android Nougat (over the air update) the interface is good imo.
    Advisable to get a clear plastic case as it is slippy as another poster said.
    fast operation overall and the camera is good (and can even take pictures in RAW format) but not as good as Samsung S7 or S8 in low light.
    I'd still recommend it still - nice looking phone also - especially in the sapphire blue and the dual active sim is useful.
    Battery life is good but not amazing - will have to recharge each day mostly with medium to heavy use but the charging is pretty fast as it has a form of fast charge.

Advertisement