Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chatty Cat

• 12-01-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Live in a house with 7 people, two dogs(A Jacker & Collie) and two cats. One of the cats is a very large ginger tom and he is the most talkative cat I have ever met. He is in a constant state of extra loud purring(you can here him from other rooms) and about 15/16 different types of meows. The other cat is more of a nuzzler, rarely meows(only 'hungry meow' or 'let me out' meow).

Now, I haven't had much dealings with these cats over the years until 6 months ago when my sister got a very boisterous Collie pup, the cats were in my sisters house upstairs and now they have migrated into my room and have set up camp there. Collie is a raging nutcase but a little pet, the Jack Russell gets on great with the cats.

Are cats normally this loud? with the constant chatting and I mean constant, the 'hello' meow, to the 'stop moving on the bed meow', lots and lots of different meows. The cats(bro&sis) are about 8yrs of age.

Comments

Haha I think it's just a case of some are and some aren't!

I'm no cat expert but my family had a few when I was growing up and some meowed more than others.

My cat loves a good natter. He meows if he was something, meows for attention, meows when he's sees teeny flies no one else can see. If I meow at him he'll meow back and we can have a right cat chat! (Yes I am crazy).

I saw something that said cats only meow for the benefit of humans, that they don't communicate that way with each other. They developed it to use to get us humans to do their bidding. So he's probably doing it all for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Some cats are big talkers and others not so much. I have two cats and one is more the silent type unless he's hungry or wants to go out. The other is a purebred Siamese named Kiki. Siamese cats are known talkers and have a very distinctive meow that's earned them the nickname "meezer." It's like a low, drawn meow. And Kiki lives up to that stereotype. At home, it's nonstop talking until I play with her or the lights go off.

Before these two, I had a tortie named Samhain for many years and torties also have the reputation for talking and giving "tortie-tude." She also lived up to this stereotype. She didn't meow so much as chirp constantly. It's a completely different sound than Kiki and whereas Kiki is usually trying to get me to do something, Samhain would just hold chirpy conversations for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

It's completely normal with my cats, I also have a large Ginger Male who is always chattering away. My small tabby female is the same but not as loud, she only gets louder when she wants food or out of the crate in the mornings.

It's true that cats don't meow to communicate with each other, they do it to "talk" with humans. It can be pretty annoying at times but the Male is 8 years old and the female is 6 years old so i've been listening to it a long time now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Our Micky is a chatter too, always has been. Even if he is outside and walking along the hedge you can hear him chatter with the hedge lol. And yes I can have a cat conversation with him, no idea what we are talking about though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BrianG23

Mine doesn't stop taking. "Ohh whos this **** walking in MY garden"...."Oi where my food"..."Scratch me slave" etc.

Some cats are loud others communicate with body language way more. I'd guess it has to do with how they grew up. Around humans or around their mother more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

I have full conversations with my cat.
    She feels the need to tell me and anyone who will listen to her EVERYTHING.
    The local kids always ask me why she is always crying, but she isn't - she is just looking for attention for them - pet me, play with me, look at me, go away from me, my humans didn't feed me my favourite food today, i am too cold, you are too loud, i went to find my humans and they had gone out, i am an abandoned princess etc. etc.
    Some just extra extra vocal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I had a large ginger and white male who had an opinion on everything and never shut up. He had a very wide range of vocalizations and enthusiastically conversed with everyone he met. I really miss the big guy.

His mother, on the other hand, just taps me with her paw and tilts her head sideways whenever she wants something and I am expected to use my powers of ESP to work out what that is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

We've two 6 month old kittens not litter mates but fostered together from very Small before we adopted them and they chat away to each other all the time. My folks have a big ginger tom with a purrrrr like motor bike starting up and snores that rival my dads , also have a little grey tabby fella whose meow never developed hes 3 now can still only mange the odd squeek

Advertisement