Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with being a non resident landlord

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beaufoy wrote: »
    If the tenant refuses to be in the apartment when I want to visit, can I go in and inspect using my own keys

No.
    beaufoy wrote: »
    Can I use the fact that he sublet without permission in the past to give one month notice now, let me explain , because he has been there so long he is entitled to 3 months notice, but when he sublet last year i could of used his breakage of the terms of lease to force him out after one month. However, I let him off at said time...A year later can I force him out for what he did in the past.

I doubt that would be legal now the tenant has remedied his breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Graham wrote:
    No.

It had to be agreed but given that the tenant has been told that the landlord has limited opportunities to inspect, they Cabot hold it up.

It had to be agreed but given that the tenant has been told that the landlord has limited opportunities to inspect, they Cabot hold it up.

If the tenant refuses to facilitate an inspection the appropriate remedy is through the RTB.

Graham wrote: »
    If the tenant refuses to facilitate an inspection the appropriate remedy is through the RTB.

He could be in fear of damage in the apartment and require an emergency entry ;)

Was that the sound of a water leak???

He could be in fear of damage in the apartment and require an emergency entry ;)

Was that the sound of a water leak???

He could.

It would be fairly dumb unless the OP wanted to risk a complaint to the RTB.

• Advertisement

He could.

It would be fairly dumb unless the OP wanted to risk a complaint to the RTB.

Let them complain it's a valid reason to enter.

LLs not standing up for themselves is a lot of the reason that so many tenants get away with muurder.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Give the tenant an out. Book him to collect you from the airport or where ever. Tell him he can leave the meter running while you inspect. If he refuses go to the RTB with a bullet proof case.

Do not enter without consent, rightly or wrongly it will go against you.

Let them complain it's a valid reason to enter.

It is not a valid reason to enter when you know it's not the reason for entering.
    LLs not standing up for themselves is a lot of the reason that so many tenants get away with muurder.

Landlords trying to pull a fast-one is not a solution to fixing the shortcomings of the RTA.

One of these days some landlord is going to follow your advice and find himself on the wrong side of an RTB hearing.

It is not a valid reason to enter when you know it's not the reason for entering.

How is the tenant going to disprove it?

How is the tenant going to disprove it?

I'm not about to debate with you how a landlord may or may not get way with ignoring the RTA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement