Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance asking for reg cert

Options
  • 12-01-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My car insurance is up for renewal next month.

Just got 2 letters in the post from Aviva Insurance,

The first letter said that they could not quote me a renewal price unless I sent in some photocopied documents

The letter was asking me for a copy of the registration certificate and a copy of the tax disc.
    I have no problem in sending them in but I just wondered why they would ask,
    I have been with them for a few years now (4 years I think) as they have offered the best deal for me,
    I get the feeling a big hike in premium is coming or they don't want the business anymore.
    The car is a 152 reg. so I would hardly risk driving around with no tax,
    Is this normal - It's just that I haven't been asked before for anything like this.

The 2nd letter was my NCB entitalment.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will want to know when the car came in to your ownership, the reg cert would confirm this. Copy of tax disc would verify car is taxed.

Perhaps it's new policy to confirm all cars they have insured are legal on the road, some people have been rotating ownership of cars to avoid tax, not sure what that has to do with an insurance company though, perhaps means customer more dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hi,
    My car insurance is up for renewal next month.

Just got 2 letters in the post from Aviva Insurance,

The first letter said that they could not quote me a renewal price unless I sent in some photocopied documents

The letter was asking me for a copy of the registration certificate and a copy of the tax disc.
    I have no problem in sending them in but I just wondered why they would ask,
    I have been with them for a few years now (4 years I think) as they have offered the best deal for me,
    I get the feeling a big hike in premium is coming or they don't want the business anymore.
    The car is a 152 reg. so I would hardly risk driving around with no tax,
    Is this normal - It's just that I haven't been asked before for anything like this.

The 2nd letter was my NCB entitalment.

Thanks.

If you've been with them for 4 years then surely they already know what your NCB is ???

Edit: Sorry read that wrong, thought they were asking you for NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps they mean the Vehicle Registration Certificate (logbook) when they say registration certificate?
    That doesn't sound like problem to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there anyone else named on your policy by chance? They maybe checking if the policy holder is actually the registered owner of the vehicle and not fronting in order to get cheaper insurance?

The tax thing I don't understand, surely that would be like your home insurance company looking for proof that you have your property tax paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

biko wrote: »
    Perhaps they mean the Vehicle Registration Certificate (logbook) when they say registration certificate?
    That doesn't sound like problem to me.

Yes I mean the Vehicle Registration Certificate (logbook) and I have no problem sending it in but I just wondered why they would ask.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is there anyone else named on your policy by chance? They maybe checking if the policy holder is actually the registered owner of the vehicle and not fronting in order to get cheaper insurance?

The tax thing I don't understand, surely that would be like your home insurance company looking for proof that you have your property tax paid?

Yes the wife is a named driver on the policy and she has her own car and own insurance policy, also with Aviva but I understand what you mean about fronting and I'm in favor I it stops the problem. But like you said why the Tax,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes I mean the Vehicle Registration Certificate (logbook) and I have no problem sending it in but I just wondered why they would ask.
    I'm just guessing but then they will have proof it's your name on the car, the details are as you said in the quote, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I wonder is this the same for new customers?

Surely it will make getting an online quote difficult if you have to supply documentation prior to getting a quote. There's usually discounts for online quotes, wonder how this will work.

As your existing insurer, it seems like a lot of work for Aviva to gather this information before a quote is offered from their existing customers, who may not renew.

Seems like they will have a lot of data from prospective customers who may never become customers.

Asking for the information as part of the conditions of buying or renewing a policy seems more practicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wonder is this the same for new customers?

Surely it will make getting an online quote difficult if you have to supply documentation prior to getting a quote. There's usually discounts for online quotes, wonder how this will work.

As your existing insurer, it seems like a lot of work for Aviva to gather this information before a quote is offered from their existing customers, who may not renew.

Seems like they will have a lot of data from prospective customers who may never become customers.

Asking for the information as part of the conditions of buying or renewing a policy seems more practicable.

Its possible its been incorrectly flagged as not being taxed.

We use a system that afaik all insurers have access to that flags vehicles as being out of tax or NCT. The problem is that its a bit lax in terms of being completely up to date. I see alot of new business proposals where someone is after buying a car that was not taxed for a few months previous to purchase, they have taxed and / or NCT'd it but the system hasnt updated.

The OP has his taxed so there is no issue.

I got the renewal today, €329 last year, the renewal is €442.
    That's roughly a 35% increase or no reason.
    I know some people are paying a lot more and I feel for them.
    I have shopped around and other than the renewal the cheapest was nearly €700 so I'll have to pay.

• Advertisement

I got the renewal today, €329 last year, the renewal is €442.
    That's roughly a 35% increase or no reason.
    I know some people are paying a lot more and I feel for them.
    I have shopped around and other than the renewal the cheapest was nearly €700 so I'll have to pay.

You should ring up anyway but don't be greedy. Tell them you have a quote for for €380/390 and that you would rather stay with them if they can match the quote. In my experience most will drop the €50 to keep the customer. If they don't you've lost nothing by asking. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

emeldc wrote: »
    You should ring up anyway but don't be greedy. Tell them you have a quote for for €380/390 and that you would rather stay with them if they can match the quote. In my experience most will drop the €50 to keep the customer. If they don't you've lost nothing by asking. Let us know how you get on.

^^^^ditto, worked for me this year.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...don't understand the tax question: it's irrelevant to them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...don't understand the tax question: it's irrelevant to them.

Nor me but I sent it in anyway, I can understand the log book but not really the tax disc.

emeldc wrote: »

I will do but it's due until February 14th so I'll leave it this week as i'll have to pay them if they take a bit off, No point paying to early.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The system prob flagged the car was either not taxed for a period or some people tax the diesel cars as semi commercial thus get cheap commercial tax but only bought private insurance..

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The system prob flagged the car was either not taxed for a period or some people tax the diesel cars as semi commercial thus get cheap commercial tax but only bought private insurance..

I got the car new and it's been taxed all the time, as a private vehicle.
    I'm fine with been asked for it and it would cut down on un-taxed cars if it was standard but I'd never herd of anyone been asked for tax before getting a renewal quote before, they must think I'm pretty dodgy

I got the car new and it's been taxed all the time, as a private vehicle.
    I'm fine with been asked for it and it would cut down on un-taxed cars if it was standard but I'd never herd of anyone been asked for tax before getting a renewal quote before, they must think I'm pretty doggy

I think they have an absolute cheek myself. It's none of their business. Whether your car is taxed or not is between you and the Guards. End of. If they have a valid reason for it, they should tell you what it is. Wouldn't you love to tell them to fcuk off.

Advertisement