Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graham Taylor RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do I not like that!

RIP

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Do I not like that.

RIP Graham.

Edit: damn, beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Always liked Graham Taylor! Had he been ill or was it sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Sad, he always came across as a genuinely nice person.RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Had to have been a special character to cope with all the BS the tabloids threw at him during his time as England manager; especially to come out the other side as such a likeable guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The press in England were pricks to him. A decent man and a very good manager. Changed a lot in English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sad news, always seemed like an absolute gentleman, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Am I remembering correctly that Channel 4 did a documentary on him in the 90s around his tenure with England?

Seemed like a nice guy.

The fact I'm surprised he was 72 proves how old I'm getting.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Am I remembering correctly that Channel 4 did a documentary on him in the 90s around his tenure with England?

Seemed like a nice guy.

The fact I'm surprised he was 72 proves how old I'm getting.

3 posts up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The criticism he received as England manager was way too personal. I remember the sun backpage with turnip head. :rolleyes:

Came across well on the radio. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember that game against Holland like it was yesterday, 23 years ago now. As a young fella it was great to see England getting steamrolled over, but Jesus they were hard done by that night.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The criticism he received as England manager was way too personal. I remember the sun backpage with turnip head. :rolleyes:

Came across well on the radio.

The S*n is populated by arseholes.

RIP Graham, always seemed like a decent bloke.

I remember that game against Holland like it was yesterday, 23 years ago now. As a young fella it was great to see England getting steamrolled over, but Jesus they were hard done by that night.

RIP

How Koeman escaped a red I'II never know. Might have been just outside the box though in terms of a pen.

RIP

They were absolutely robbed! How Koeman stayed on the pitch is beyond me! Hit the post twice too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The documentary when he was England manager,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Very sad. Always seemed like a good guy and I liked him as a pundit/analyst. Tried to help Paul McGrath with the gargle as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

RIP

I was behind the goal for Koeman's free kick, seeing Seaman not getting off the ground as usual.

Todays rules would have had Koeman in the showers before that free kick. Not sure if that kind of foul was automatically red in those days (edit: after that clip above, yes it was...).

That match must have costed Taylor a few years of his life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Rip. Always liked him and had so much respect for how he handled the disgraceful abuse he got at the hands of those tabloid clowns. Very good manager too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Brilliant manager, seemed like a nice bloke too. The way he was treated as England manager was appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just heard the sad news. I always enjoyed listening to him when he would be on Newstalk Sport. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Christ they were rode in that Holland match for USA 94. never knew it was that bad.

Always seemed like a nice man and will be remembered for the fantastic years at Watford rather than the England years! R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

When he got the England managers job, I thought jeez they've done well there. He had done so brilliantly at Watford and Villa

But I thought the England job was too big for him. They were very lucky to qualify for Euro 92 ahead of us and their luck ran out in the finals and in the next qualification campaign and I thought at the time that his post-match interviews were very disingenuous. They really didn't play well during his time as manager.

It's easy to point in isolation at Ronald Koeman's non sending off when Holland won 2-0. Would England have won? Who knows? But what about a very similar incident that happened with Des Walker the culprit in the 2-2 draw at Wembley and he didn't even see yellow. You could pick apart incidents in every game throughout the qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Plaaaaaaaaattttttttty.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

More recently I enjoyed his insight on Irish radio. I think Todayfm or Newtalk after the Saturday games.

He always had a good point to make and made it well. RIP Mr. Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

A good man hounded and ridiculed by the English media. Watch them fawn over him now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I had no idea he was 72, had him about 10 years younger for some reason.

Took Watford to places they never imagined possible for that he'll always be a mini-legend of the almost modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

A good man hounded and ridiculed by the English media. Watch them fawn over him now.
    Agreed. He was out of his depth when he was managing England, but the media slaughtered him. The whole "turnip" thing was vindictive sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I heard him quite a bit on the various football shows on Irish radio - came across as a very decent and knowledgeable man. He basically carried the can for a nation that expected football success on the back of sometimes very average and over-hyped players. Also paid the price of being thrown to the wolves. Very naive to let media cameras and microphones record his every utterance and expression in games - no manager today would accept it in these more media savvy times.

As for the Sun, they're filth and have been for a very long time. Wouldn't surprise me to see them celebrate his death by going back over their greatest hits at his expense.

Yep, they did:
    He was at the centre of one of The Sun's most famous back pages with Taylor mocked up as a turnip after the Three Lions' disastrous loss to Sweden in Euro 1992.

Complete with an image of the backpage in case anyone missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seemed like a nice man. The stuff he faced from the media was way OTT.

Always seems like a thoroughly decent man.

Unfortunately, way out of his depth as international manager, that miss by Geoff Thomas, the reliance on Carlton Palmer, the results v Norway and the USA etc. etc. He was treated with ridicule by the media, that documentary was huge at the time, he should never have agreed to do it.

He had some great stints in club football though, Villa, twice at Watford etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I always enjoyed listening to him on 5live and a really good analysis of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Does anyone have the clip of Taylor's reaction of the Koeman professional foul. I remember seeing one where he was saying 'you just cost me my job' to the 4th official.

Can't seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Like most of us, I didn't know him, but he came across as a lovely man. He took dogs abuse from the British tabloids, but carried himself with dignity through it all. Always enjoyed his Newstalk contributions in latter years.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RIP

I remember when I was younger and he was the England manager, and that documentary was made, it was great entertainment. He always seemed like a bit of a halfwit but then when you get older and analyse his actual achievements, he was an excellent coach. He worked wonders with Watford, and did a good job with Villa too. Failing at the England job is nothing that many others didn't also do.

Plus, when he was on radio or TV doing analysis I always thought he spoke well and came across as a decent fella.

RIP Graham Taylor.

Any player who played under him such as Dwight Yorke and Paul McGrath, spoke about him in the most glowing terms. Taylor came across as such a gentleman.

He was treated abysmally by the English media and in particular one absolute RAG that should have been shut down long ago.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the clip of Taylor's reaction of the Koeman professional foul. I remember seeing one where he was saying 'you just cost me my job' to the 4th official.

Can't seem to find it

The documentary has been posted at least twice in this thread already. Go to about 40 mins in for the Holland game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://youtu.be/VAke3P4hKZA

The Impossible Job Documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Can't seem to find it

It's in here, worth a read http://thesetpieces.com/features/top-10-moments-hit-90s-documentary-graham-taylor-impossible-job/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Decker Huge Savanna

Can't seem to find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_kiCbcAx0&feature=youtu.be&t=4m56s

its around the lst 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just noticed that the 4th official that looked guilty over the Koeman decision was Marcus Merkel, who turned out to be a great ref. He knew full well that they were robbed with that decision.

It was an amazing documentary. I couldn't imagine it being made now a days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"Can we not knock it??"

His "tactics" were ruthlessly exposed outside of the English domestic game.

Having said that he was an excellent man-manager and every Irish supporter owes him a debt of gratitude for the kindness he showed Paul McGrath.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Graham Taylor, he was a nice man and a very good manager.

He is a Watford legend and he did a good job at Villa too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

that documentary was huge at the time, he should never have agreed to do it.

I think he intended it to be his comeback from the media slaughtering he got at Euro '92. If he had known it was going to end in failure, I'm pretty sure he's have ran a million miles away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A gentleman. A great shame his family lost him without being able to say goodbye.

Wish the football league would have a minutes silence rather than applause, much more poignant and heart felt (to me anyway).

RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I have the feeling that applause in stead of a minute silence is only because there are always 1 or 2 utter twats that cant keep their gob shut.

Not many things more impressive than a stadium with 50.000 so quiet that you can hear a pin drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A legend just wish he got more luck.

It was so bad even San Marino scored against them

• Advertisement
Advertisement