Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Nonsense .

Who has he faced with a death touch left hand? hes finally fighting a fighter in who is in their prime unlike a premature Canelo or old injured Manny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

yabadabado wrote: »
    Of course there is every reason a 41 year-old beats a 29 year old.Mayweather is a true great who by all accounts keeps himself in extremely good shape and was unbeatable against top level pro boxers until recently the other is a fella who isn't a top level fighter,has never had a pro fight and afaik didn't win even national titles when he did box underage.

I'm sure Mayweather would still hold his own against plenty of fighters in his old divisions.

Would you reckon a 41 year old soccer great or a 41 year old hurling great still hold their own if they went back playing today? I don't think so and pro boxing is way more physically demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Floyd has never face somebody with as much one punch power or better timing than McGregor, hes 170 odd pounds walking around and can kill a horse would advise backing Conor in rds 1-3 and paying for Christmas early.
    Floyd is 11/10 by tko, will having a nice punt on that to pay for my holiday this year.
    Just over 3 months ago you were sure Conor wins this fight, Why so confident of the oposit outcome now??
    Had the boxing forum wound up for a laugh :pac: worked too,

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Floyd via DQ
    Would you reckon a 41 year old soccer great or a 41 year old hurling great still hold their own if they went back playing today? I don't think so and pro boxing is way more physically demanding.

What has soccer or hurling got to do with this ?

Would a 40 year old Maldini hold his own against a player who never played pro or didn't get to the very top in the another set ups?
    I think he would but that not relevant.

Floyd has never face somebody with as much one punch power or better timing than McGregor, hes 170 odd pounds walking around and can kill a horse would advise backing Conor in rds 1-3 and paying for Christmas early.
    henrylaugh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

There is very good reason for McGregor to be written off. He's fighting arguably the greatest pound for pound boxer that's ever lived and the only thing on McGregor's side is age. But age has gotten the better of many a boxer so who knows anything is possible in sport.

I think only Mayweather himself argues that point. He is an all time great but he is not at the top table in the all time pound for pound listings.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Burial. wrote: »
    Yawn

Spoil sport, I got my fun a few months ago :D :pac:

All jokes aside I'll be disappointed if Floyd takes it handy on him.

I remember about 7 or 8 years ago Chris Kamara and Paul Merson went and played in a match which would have been around the 7th or 8th tier in English football. They ran the game, could find more space than anyone and pick out passes perfectly. Merson would've been over 40 (and in awful shape) and Kamara was in his 50s.

EDIT: Was actually 3rd tier in Wales in 2012. Kamara was 55, Merson was 44. Kamara played 90 minutes with an assist from a corner, as far as I remember Merson played a half.

Floyd via DQ

Fat Ronaldo playing against some Sunday league team and he'll bang in 40+ goals a season with ease. Henry Shefflin would break all kinds of scoring records against Junior C opposition. If Floyd came back to fight someone like Spence or Thurman he would have some bother. But when you're fighting a bum age isn't that much of a factor at all. Besides, Floyd is the ultimate professional. Doesn't smoke, drink or rave. He's been in better shape in retirement than most fighters could ever reach in their prime. He's a freak.

Floyd via DQ
    Spoil sport, I got my fun a few months ago :D :pac:

All jokes aside I'll be disappointed if Floyd takes it handy on him.

I'll admit you had me back then for a little... I'm glad you're actually not as braindead as you portrayed back then...well played.

Yep similar to Couture/Toney. The outsider needs to be spanked and spanked hard to make sure it never happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    James Toney was an irrelevance by that point to be fair. McGregor is the biggest name in the history of his sport and at the peak of his powers. Big difference.
    If Mayweather did it at his peak the result would be the same. And it wouldn't affect boxing. Toney didn't lose because he was a bit rusty. He lost because he had no idea what wrestling was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    ThunderCat wrote: »
    I think only Mayweather himself argues that point. He is an all time great but he is not at the top table in the all time pound for pound listings.

I think his record speaks for itself. I'm not saying he is the best pound for pound but he's up there and definitely in the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Floyd via DQ
    Fair play to Mc Gregor, the man has earned this fight with his mouth - take the money and then retire, who wouldn't?He's smart enough to know someone else will be flavour of the month soon enough.

His biggest problem imo will be avoiding Mayweather in a ring much smaller than he is used to, no place to hide when under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I wonder how much of a chance there is of McGregor being DQed. Seems to me that with his whole career being spent on MMA, when the pressure comes in, instinct could kick in and he'd lash out a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Conor via DQ
    I really think this could be a classic....I'm really looking forward to it. I have a hunch Conor will do it but it will be close...

Floyd via DQ
    I wonder how much of a chance there is of McGregor being DQed. Seems to me that with his whole career being spent on MMA, when the pressure comes in, instinct could kick in and he'd lash out a kick.

As expected and as confirmed by Dana, lawsuits and stripping of purse is signed into the contract if he does illegal strikes. Considering Conor is whipped by cash I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Floyd via DQ
    DellyBelly wrote: »
    I really think this could be a classic....I'm really looking forward to it. I have a hunch Conor will do it but it will be close...

1/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you were advising Conor in this fight, how could he box smart? How should he approach the fight?

The reality is the fight is going ahead. It isn't a joke. He has to go in there with some sort of strategy. I wonder where their head is at with this (McGregor Camp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Conor via DQ
    myshirt wrote: »
    If you were advising Conor in this fight, how could he box smart? How should he approach the fight?

The reality is the fight is going ahead. It isn't a joke. He has to go in there with some sort of strategy. I wonder where their head is at with this (McGregor Camp)

Well we know where McGregor and Mayweather head is at the moment

58e60a911a8d4dfee2000001.gif

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    myshirt wrote: »

tumblr_lqysfrbD5S1qh59n0o1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The backlash from the boxing aficionados is amazing.

It really is the case that Conor probably gets schooled badly in a boxing match, but those saying Floyd could hang in an MMA fight are absolutely deluded. He'd be on his back before he knew what happened.

As for 'Conor losing will make a joke of MMA', no it won't. He's one fighter who is trying an alternative sport. If he tanks, it's fine. He's still an amazing MMA fighter, just one who couldn't hang in the pro boxing ring. No shame in that whatsoever.

I'm excited for the fight. The overwhelming likelihood is that Conor gets bopped and outmaneuvered for all 12 rounds before a huge Floyd decision, but there will always be the question of whether Floyd's age might leave him susceptible to a loss of speed and reflexes, and whether McGregor really can crack him with that mule of a left hand.

Let's enjoy it or ignore it, guys and girls. We're lucky to have a fight that excites so many people, and if you're not one of them, then just sit back and chill because it'll happen regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Floyd via DQ
    How many rounds is this scheduled for?
    Odds of 1/1 available for a Mayweather KO. seems crazy unless it is just a 4 round fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Floyd via DQ
    Golden Boy better do a good job of promoting the Sept fight. As for RocNation's promotion.... Mayweather in 5. He probably won't even have to try. Laser accuracy, brilliant footwork and his defence? Mc doesn't get near him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

How many rounds is this scheduled for?
    Odds of 1/1 available for a Mayweather KO. seems crazy unless it is just a 4 round fight...

Imaging paying for the cheapest seat in the house $3449.00 and it was over in the first round that's a lot of dosh per minute.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd will go in and showboat for 12 rounds If i stick a monkey on ko at even money no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    The backlash from the boxing aficionados is amazing.

It really is the case that Conor probably gets schooled badly in a boxing match, but those saying Floyd could hang in an MMA fight are absolutely deluded. He'd be on his back before he knew what happened.

As for 'Conor losing will make a joke of MMA', no it won't. He's one fighter who is trying an alternative sport. If he tanks, it's fine. He's still an amazing MMA fighter, just one who couldn't hang in the pro boxing ring. No shame in that whatsoever.

I'm excited for the fight. The overwhelming likelihood is that Conor gets bopped and outmaneuvered for all 12 rounds before a huge Floyd decision, but there will always be the question of whether Floyd's age might leave him susceptible to a loss of speed and reflexes, and whether McGregor really can crack him with that mule of a left hand.

Let's enjoy it or ignore it, guys and girls. We're lucky to have a fight that excites so many people, and if you're not one of them, then just sit back and chill because it'll happen regardless.

MMA forum is bad enough now i have to leave this one

Conor on points
    Floyd will go in and showboat for 12 rounds If i stick a monkey on ko at even money no doubt.

I wouldnt be comfortable gambling big money on this . I genuinely dont know if this is a work ( excuse the Americanism )

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Augeo wrote: »
    Mayweather will toy with him for a few rounds which is a pity as Conor's deluded fans will than reckon it was an honourable performance by the man who dresses like Toad from the wind of the willows.

Some one mentioned something about fancying their own chances against Floyd in an MMA bout... unreal. You wouldn't get near him without being knocked out.

HAHAHAHAHAH

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I wouldnt be comfortable gambling big money on this . I genuinely dont know if this is a work ( excuse the Americanism )

Yep there is an element of wwe involved in an exhibition like it, will see what the build up is like if theres some genuine animosity I will bet it, also worth nothing Floyd is a massive gambler he could stick a lump on decision and influence how he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

Pure money spinner and MCGregor has to be saluted for getting himself such a payday. Mayweather too even though he doesnt need more money.

Fight wise I can see McGregor avoiding Floyds range for a few rounds - then getting tagged. He may last the 12 rounds if he can keep away from Floyd, but I doubt it. 10 ounce gloves are "easier" than the 4 ounce gloves Conor is used to getting hit with .........all the same I can only see one winner and if McGregor goes in toe to toe he is getting KO'd swiftly.

All in all - its pure entertainment and for 100million dollars I would get into the ring with both of them for 12 rounds .......well maybe 2 rounds....no 1

• Advertisement

Conor on points
    Mellor wrote: »
    Ah come on. How do you keep switching between reasonable informing posting and delusion such as the above.

Conor has next to no chance in boxing. Shouldnt even but up for debate. Conor has excellent boxing/striking for MMA - but MMA is not boxing. Most agree.

But however much Conor is out of his depth in a pro boxing match. Floyd is moreso out of his depth in MMA by a degrees of magnitude. AINEC
    Conor has done striking experience and familiarity. Floyd has no grappling. None. He's less than a white belt. He'd get absolutely strangled.

If we were to fight under MMA rules on Saturday. I fancy my chances against Floyd, never mind Conor.

Do you genuinely believe that ? This thread is utterly bizzare

Conor on points
    Yep there is an element of wwe involved in an exhibition like it, will see what the build up is like if theres some genuine animosity I will bet it, also worth nothing Floyd is a massive gambler he could stick a lump on decision and influence how he wins.

I was thinking that with Floyd aswel . I know you know a lot of MMA so quick question . Who will corner Conor ? It would be a joke to come out with JK surely ?

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I was thinking that with Floyd aswel . I know you know a lot of MMA so quick question . Who will corner Conor ? It would be a joke to come out with JK surely ?

He's got a massive ego Kavanagh so you can bet your bottom dollar he will be in the corner, Owen Roddy is his striking coach (who deserves all the credit for Conors striking) and I can see Pascal Collins in it too.

Conor on points
    I actually think you are right . Madness really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would say a decent pro MMA fighter with good Muay Thai and grappling would do a job on Mayweather in an MMA fight.

Stripe his lead leg with some leg kicks to take away his punching power - this can be done at a distance so he could stay out of punching range, then get a takedown and it's curtains.

He may have to eat a punch or 2 to get the takedown but with sufficient damage to Mayweathers lead leg, the punches would lose a lot of the potency.

I would always fancy an MMA fighters chances in a boxing match above a Boxers chance in an MMA fight.

Conor on points
    RoboRat wrote: »
    I would say a decent pro MMA fighter with good Muay Thai and grappling would do a job on Mayweather in an MMA fight.

Stripe his front leg with some leg kicks to take away his punching power - this can be done at a distance so he could stay out of punching range, then get a takedown and it's curtains.

He may have to eat a punch or 2 to get the takedown but with sufficient damage to Mayweathers lead leg, the punches would lose a lot of the potency.

I would always fancy an MMA fighters chances in a boxing match above a Boxers chance in an MMA fight.

Would have to disagree but it would both are obviously hard to see happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    As I said already, it was tongue in cheek.

But honestly, do you actually think Floyd has ever defended a takedown in his life? Or even has the slightest idea of how to?

If he gets taken down, what do you think happens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 The Sunny Banana

Yes, I would destroy Floyd in an MMA fight, he is a manlet.

Conor on points
    As I said already, it was tongue in cheek.

But honestly, do you actually think Floyd has ever defended a takedown in his life? Or even has the slightest idea of how to?

Oh he is beaten 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ

Something like this most likely :p

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    I think people underestimate how agile a pro boxer is as well as how quick they can punch and do damage when folks go on about the MMA kicks to the leg and "takedown" etc.

The boxer won't standthere and be kicked and no one can deny that once one of your legs is off the ground you are vulnerable.

Anyway, mute points as it's going to be in a boxing ring with boxing rules.

Draw
    I wish to see Mayweather humiliate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ

Manny Robles (Mick Conlan's corner) has said he'd like to do it. Had McGregor in his gym a few months back too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I think people underestimate how agile a pro boxer is as well as how quick they can punch and do damage when folks go on about the MMA kicks to the leg and "takedown" etc.

The boxer won't standthere and be kicked

Likewise an mma fighter won't stand there to be punched.

There's simply too many ways to win an mma fight for an out and out boxer to have any chance it's really as simple as that.

As for this fight, I thought I'd have to wait much longer to see an event as extremely disappointing and massively overhyped as the mayweather Pac fight but it seems the wait will soon be over.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    glasso wrote: »
    I wish to see Mayweather humiliate him.

He's been strangled in front of Millions last March, a loss means f all to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,475 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Floyd via DQ
    It degrades MMA by turning it into a freakshow? That makes no sense.

I assume you didn't understand the question and are talking about it's impact on boxing - which is irrelevant to MMA

Yes, I was talking about it's impact on boxing. MMA is irrelevant to me anyway in any context.

I presume you were as outraged when Toney made the switch to MMA to fight Couture??

Where is the outrage?

I don't care on the impact of MMA of James Toney switching to it. I don't really rate MMA very highly as a sport in the first place. The competitors are athletes and highly trained but since I don't hold it in high regard, it hosting a novelty event hardly diminishes it further for me personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,475 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Floyd via DQ
    Katie Taylor would easily beat mcgregor in boxing IMO. Easily.

Well she'd beat him. Although being realistic, probably not without breaking a sweat though. Purely because he's a fair bit bigger and he's also fit. Same size and weight -> she batters him :)

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Katie Taylor wouldnt take a punch of a man, shes also feather fisted would fancy Conor to KO her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Conor via DQ
    Ah here you have to consider absolute power of McGregor vs a light woman. It would be like McGregor fighting a real heavyweight in striking. One punch equals brain dead.

• Advertisement

Draw
    well Katie Taylor vs McGregor would be a fairer fight than the one that is going to happen.

Advertisement