Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Why are more MMA fans not talking about Conor's complete lack of punching power?? Against a smaller man

The McGregor power has always been a myth.

He's all about perfectly timing the counter punch. And in MMA, when that wobbles or floors them momentarily, he can jump on them and hammer fist.

Even the much vaunted Aldo knockout - it was a beauty of a punch. But the punch didn't get him out cold. He still had to jump on him and finish it.

But again, talking about his power was just a sales tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Jesus...just watching fight again. Sky's hard on for Floyd is sickening..

It's like Conor was invisible...

Floyd threw an uppercut that just missed at 1.32 of rd 9...fook me..

His engine and stamina superb..as much about stamina management as raw stamina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    You're a mate for life..��

I get all that. I pointed out those things, but it's still a huge disappointment (for Floyd) that he could not control and dominate the fight throughout..I said he would. And nobody can convince me that he did.

The things you noted I kind of addressed by saying that Conor will never make a pro boxer, and that he would get soundly beaten by the best pros...

I see where you're coming from... part of me was anticipating some kind of masterclass too. Particularly as this was his big send-off.

But then another part of me, just knew that Floyd would be cautious. He has always been a slightly frustrating fighter that way... But is that not also part of his genius? He is a clever tactician... and he actually fights within his true abilities.

He was always in total control of the outcome of this fight. It's just that his tactics, were conservative. I guess leopard can't really change it's spots.

He's also not really a naturally offensive fighter. I think there were two fighters out there, trying to figure out what they were doing!! (slight exaggeration) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ
    Fight couldn't have really gone more to what I expected. Played out to a tee. McGregor was always going to gas horrifically and was always going to be too tough to get knocked down.

Had a feel of a glorified spar tbh.

Delighted the whole farce is over with and we can now concentrate on proper boxing once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The likes of Canelo or any of the other top guys would hurt Conor big time.

Floyd has been cherry picking and fighting scared most of the latter part of his career, that's a very padded 50-0 it has to be said.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd had a nasty lump on back of his head on his right side! Whatever caused that?😊

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Floyd via DQ
    Everyone satisfied? I wasn't. Floyd was walking straight to him. No head movement and swinging wildly. I was fairly drunk in fairness but that's what I saw. He carried him. Mc came off well though I thought in the fight and afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

SlickRic wrote: »
    The McGregor power has always been a myth.

He's all about perfectly timing the counter punch. And in MMA, when that wobbles or floors them momentarily, he can jump on them and hammer fist.

Even the much vaunted Aldo knockout - it was a beauty of a punch. But the punch didn't get him out cold. He still had to jump on him and finish it.

But again, talking about his power was just a sales tactic.

Aldo was asleep when he hit the canvas, overhead cameras show this, the hammer fists were unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lukker- wrote: »
    Conditioning wise, Conor is used to fighting 15 mins or 25. MMA pace is totally different to boxing. That said him gassing could be because he has a low ceiling stamina wise, it could be mental adrenaline dump or it could just be that he's not conditioned for boxing at all.

Andy Lee said that part of being conditioned for a boxing fight is the hundreds of rounds over the years in a canvas ring...it would be a softer surface and allied to staying in stance would tire the hell out of Conor's legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Floyd via DQ
    They were but the point does stand that the power thing is a myth, he doesn't generally one punch KO people, it's his timing and accuracy that has them in trouble. I would think most if not all his opponents have mentioned It? Not the power as much as the accuracy which seems fair enough given what we have seen in his career

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Just listened to Conor post fight ring interview...no swearing or obnoxious behaviour..just very normal and natural.. for me it comes across so much more believable and classy.. Impressive..

It was a show. Clear enough FM was keeping the match alive for the fans. Not much a step beyond WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They were but the point does stand that the power thing is a myth, he doesn't generally one punch KO people, it's his timing and accuracy that has them in trouble. I would think most if not all his opponents have mentioned It? Not the power as much as the accuracy which seems fair enough given what we have seen in his career

I'd agree generally, he's not blunt force trauma power like boxing, it's more the fact that he can find someone's so called light switch very well. He touches the switch and it's light out, they are on the canvas without knowing how they got there.

The shots are deceptively heavy though IMO, as he transfers lots of weight from his legs to the shots, but again it's not boxing 101 where you are really torquing the upper body into shots. More akin to pitcher throwing a baseball or smith

Floyd via DQ
    @Walsh, I will get back to you when I'm home on your question. I'm on the mobile at the minute in work and would be a pain

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Floyd via DQ
    I'd agree generally, he's not blunt force trauma power like boxing, it's more the fact that he can find someone's so called light switch very well. He touches the switch and it's light out, they are on the canvas without knowing how they got there.

The shots are deceptively heavy though IMO, as he transfers lots of weight from his legs to the shots, but again it's not boxing 101 where you are really torquing the upper body into shots. More akin to pitcher throwing a baseball or smith

His striking is top class for MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Conor via DQ
    When people say (and Floyd) say that he "walked McGregor down".... what does this mean? Because all i was seeing was Floyd turning his back 10s of times? Does this mean he was walking him down or did the walking him down only start when from when McGregor was wrecked?

Floyd via DQ

It's very simple for me... Conor dumps huge amounts of energy early in a fight, knowing that most MMA fighters can't handle much pressure in a stand-up fight.

It's not even really about power or even accuracy. He has decent power... but it's extreme pressure, mixed with decent power and accuracy. The high pressure is the key to his success...

It's a bit like the high energy press with Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool/Dortmund or Barcelona in Soccer...

It completely overwhelms these guys, who are not very well suited to stand-up fighting. And most of them fold fairly quickly. It's a risky strategy... as the Diaz fights showed. But it has also brought him an incredible amount of success!

If more MMA opponents understood what he is trying to do... they could build a strategy to deal with it. But many are clueless, and just trade with him early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Draw
    His engine and stamina superb..as much about stamina management as raw stamina.

That's the thing.
    It felt to me more like a stamina match than a boxing match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Conor via DQ

That's what conor says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Floyd via DQ
    Mayweather weighed up the options before the fight and expected McGregor to gas badly as his shots missed/landed on arms.

True to form he chose the easy path to the win and let McGregor burn himself out early. He upped the pace as McGregor dropped his.

McGregor didn't have the raw power to make things interesting. It was disappointing from Mayweather that he chose the easier option rather than outboxing him from the start.

I was impressed by McGregor's slipping of shots even in the 8th & 9th when he was running on empty. His chin also looks good to withstand the shots in the last few rounds.

Mayweather even though in control throughout was disappointing, not just for his careful approach but also for the lack of accuracy in his shots.

I wouldn't like to see either box again

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Rory, did Floyd tell you this plan? Do you believe him..

One could argue that he couldn't outbox or get the better of a fresher-fitter 4 rds Conor..

Only rd 6 or so onwards he started getting on top due to Conor gassing badly..

Conor via DQ
    Wonder how conor would get on starting at the bottom for a UK /euro belt?

Floyd via KO-TKO

Aged 30 or so now I wouldn't hold out much hope..

Young talented JMWs hitting hard and fit as fook would mill through him..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Floyd via KO-TKO

One could argue that he couldn't outbox or get the better of a fresher-fitter 4 rds Conor..

Mayweather regularly loses the first few rounds as he sounds out opponents. This is a known fact. Plus it was after the third round he took over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Floyd via DQ

I would say he would get hammered. Especially if he is tanking after a few rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

He won rounds 3, 4 and 5 on all judges cards, was on top from round 4 onwards in his usual carefull way.

Draw
    This should really have been a chance for Floyd to dazzle on his last night ever.
    Go through his whole repertoire of skills.
    Kinda like one time I saw Bob Anderson playing a local pub dart player, when he got down on his knees and checked out on a 3 dart finish.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Topcat32 wrote: »
    He won rounds 3, 4 and 5 on all judges cards, was on top from round 4 onwards in his usual carefull way.

And rds 3/4 were closely fought. Could argue either way..

Was 6 onwards when real fatigue set in that Floyd started to impose his offence.

Floyd via DQ

No but I believe him when he said after the fight that the plan was to let him throw, gas & take advantage as the fight wore on. He retreated to the ropes at the start of the early rounds and let McGregor throw. McGregor didn't force him to the ropes, he chose to be there.

Yes when McGregor was fresh he was throwing more than Mayweather but nothing of substance was getting through. You could say the same for Mayweather in those rounds as he was missing a lot and also didn't have the power to worry McGregor but again it seemed it was more about keeping the pace up as McGregor started to tire.

For the record I thought Mayweather was very poor but I think he stuck to the plan and was in control of how the fight would play out.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    RoryMac wrote: »
    No but I believe him when he said after the fight that the plan was to let him throw, gas & take advantage as the fight wore on. He retreated to the ropes at the start of the early rounds and let McGregor throw. McGregor didn't force him to the ropes, he chose to be there.

Yes when McGregor was fresh he was throwing more than Mayweather but nothing of substance was getting through. You could say the same for Mayweather in those rounds as he was missing a lot and also didn't have the power to worry McGregor but again it seemed it was more about keeping the pace up as McGregor started to tire.

For the record I thought Mayweather was very poor but I think he stuck to the plan and was in control of how the fight would play out.

Fair assessment.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    blade1 wrote: »
    This should really have been a chance for Floyd to dazzle on his last night ever.
    Go through his whole repertoire of skills.
    Kinda like one time I saw Bob Anderson playing a local pub dart player, when he got down on his knees and checked out on a 3 dart finish.

It should have been but in hindsight to expect Mayweather to take unnecessary risks was wishful thinking.

Draw
    RoryMac wrote: »
    It should have been but in hindsight to expect Mayweather to take unnecessary risks was wishful thinking.

The risks were minimal at most I feel considering he was in with a novice.
    But yes I hear what u are saying alright and thinking about it it's typical Floyd!

Floyd via KO-TKO
    pac_man wrote: »
    Mayweather looked like a 40 year old in the ring but credit were credit is due,
    fair play to Mcgregor,he did alot better than I expected.
    You have pro boxers that take a couple of years to box for 12 rounds, the fact the he lasted 10 rounds and won a few rounds was impressive.

You would swear he got off the couch or something on short notice . Hes a high level athlete in shape all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Autochange wrote: »
    You would swear he got off the couch or something on short notice . Hes a high level athlete in shape all year round.

Who did not have a fight for two years, in his previois retirements he was living like a high level athlete, im not so sure the same was the case this time around.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Topcat32 wrote: »
    Who did not have a fight for two years, in his previois retirements he was living like a high level athlete, im not so sure the same was the case this time around.

Im talking about McGregor

Conor via DQ
    ebbsy wrote: »
    I would say he would get hammered. Especially if he is tanking after a few rounds.

Don't be silly... Read what I said

Floyd via KO-TKO
    High level athlete means nothing as was evident in the fight. Boxing fitness is completely different to other types of fitness.

He gassed in the 2nd Diaz fight and ran from him at times. He also gassed vs Chad Mendez who was called up late.

Again he has been training from a young age. Has been fighting regularly. Keeps in excellent shape. Has a team of trainiers. And he still gassed out after 5 rounds. His mouth was open and he was breathing heavy very early.

Ufc title fights are 5x5 rounds 25 mins
    Boxing 3x12 36 mins

His MMA knockout power is what is winning him fights. Any time he is pushed and pressured he has looked vulnerable.
    He is not some Rocky character plucked from the crowd last minute.

He gassed in the 2nd Diaz fight and ran from him at times. He also gassed vs Chad Mendez who was called up late.

Again he has been training from a young age. Has been fighting regularly. Keeps in excellent shape. Has a team of trainiers. And he still gassed out after 5 rounds. His mouth was open and he was breathing heavy very early.

Ufc title fights are 5x5 rounds 25 mins
    Boxing 3x12 36 mins

His MMA knockout power is what is winning him fights. Any time he is pushed and pressured he has looked vulnerable.
    He is not some Rocky character plucked from the crowd last minute.

Being fit and being fit to box for 12 rounds aren't the same thing.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Being fit and being fit to box for 12 rounds aren't the same thing.

So what has he been doing for the past few months?
    Do you not need to be fit to fight in MMA 5x5 rounds?

So what has he been doing for the past few months?
    Do you not need to be fit to fight in MMA 5x5 rounds?

You don't just become fit to box in 2/3 months.

His cardiovascular capacity was shown up in the first Diaz fight but a large part of that was because he wasted a lot if energy. Less so in the second Diaz fight.

Boxing is a whole different game. That's all I'm saying. You move differently. You're more engaged. Not me that's saying this but boxers who said it was to be expected that it happened on his first foray into boxing.

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    You don't just become fit to box in 2/3 months.

His cardiovascular capacity was shown up in the first Diaz fight but a large part of that was because he wasted a lot if energy. Less so in the second Diaz fight.

Boxing is a whole different game. That's all I'm saying. You move differently. You're more engaged. Not me that's saying this but boxers who said it was to be expected that it happened on his first foray into boxing.

Im saying McGregors cardio is never good enough. My earlier post I said in my opinion he gassed vs Diaz and Mendez (who also gassed but had been called short notice)

Its McGregors MMA 'knockout power' that is seeing him through.

I understand what you are saying about energy conservation. Got the tactics all wrong possibly but either way this was always going to end with a Mayweather victory.

khabib nurmagomedov now wants MCGregor to come good on his promise on giving him a shot at his title. Khabib is one of the best wrestlers in the Ufc and will really put McGregors wrestling and cardio to the test. But thats for another day

At least McGregor had the bottle to give it a shot but he is no boxer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    To me McGregor just came out swashbuckling, "I got this guys", giving it a lot of heart, and with his own enormous talent, but got absolutely crushed by the weight of decades of boxing evolution, of specific boxing techniques and talent and know-how. McGregor claims to be a "student of martial arts", but so are the best boxers since they're children, that was kind of delusional.

I admit to being a bandwagoner on this board only because of the fight, but I've watched lots of boxing documentaries with interest and clearly the art of boxing has been evolving for many decades. The champions always talk about how they learned so much from their forebearers before them and boxing has always developed. That it's a game of the mind as much as anything else, so either that's all a crock of **** or McGregor never had any hope. I even saw one former professional boxer claim that they were like "professors" before the fight, basically it was all calculated and would be against the laws of physics for McGregor to win.... unless some bizarre stars aligned and Mayweather was sick and even then, the guy won 49-0 so he's incredibly consistent.   

Im saying McGregors cardio is never good enough. My earlier post I said in my opinion he gassed vs Diaz and Mendez (who also gassed but had been called short notice)

Its McGregors MMA 'knockout power' that is seeing him through.

I understand what you are saying about energy conservation. Got the tactics all wrong possibly but either way this was always going to end with a Mayweather victory.

khabib nurmagomedov now wants MCGregor to come good on his promise on giving him a shot at his title. Khabib is one of the best wrestlers in the Ufc and will really put McGregors wrestling and cardio to the test. But thats for another day

At least McGregor had the bottle to give it a shot but he is no boxer

Conditioning for boxing is very different.

But the Mendes fight was before his cardio was shown up. I'd have hoped he'd wrestled or grappled enough in the meantime to improving his fitness and maybe it is still an issue in MMA.

I just don't think gassing last night is necessarily indicative that he hasn't worked on it.

I hope he has cos if he fights Khabib and gets into a lot of wrestling / grappling, that's very taxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ

This x 1000000

McGregor is clearly a very well conditioned man, but he's not conditioned for boxing which is a relentless pace, he's conditioned for MMA which requires a totally different type of fitness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Floyd via DQ
    For the 'He won't land a punch' crowd.

giphy.gif

And now fast forward to the rest of the fight

Floyd via KO-TKO

But the Mendes fight was before his cardio was shown up. I'd have hoped he'd wrestled or grappled enough in the meantime to improving his fitness and maybe it is still an issue in MMA.

I just don't think gassing last night is necessarily indicative that he hasn't worked on it.

I hope he has cos if he fights Khabib and gets into a lot of wrestling / grappling, that's very taxing

Ok fair enough the fact that Mayweather barely broke a sweat is an obvious indication of the different type or level of fitness nedded for boxing.

I dont think Mcgregor will take the Khabib fight either when it comes to it

I dont think Mcgregor will take the Khabib fight either when it comes to it

It may not even come to that. It's unlikely he'll be the next opponent after pulling out of the Ferguson fight and who knows after that.

Floyd via DQ
    fernrock wrote: »
    Is there any significance in the fact that RTE sent a female sports reporter who always reports on male rugby internationals to Las Vegas . While the womens rugby world cup was taking place approx 60 miles from the studio.

No. No one gives a toss about women's sports, unless it is an Irish girl AND it is a final

Floyd via DQ
    High level athlete means nothing as was evident in the fight. Boxing fitness is completely different to other types of fitness.

So, beyond the entertainment spectacle of the all the pre-fight build up... what was the actual point of this mega fight? The actual bout itself?

Just so McGregor could be heaped with praise for "lasting longer than many thought he could"...?? (as seems the current narrative from most hardcore MMA fans/media)

- Doesn't have the engine to last.
    - Doesn't have the skills to win on points.
    - Doesn't even have one punch KO power, to get a hail mary win.

Nobody was selling us this fight, based on the idea that Conor could become a "heroic loser"... we were sold something very different than that. But the goalposts have been moved, after the fact.

If Conor ever had a realistic chance of winning this fight... and he just simply came up short, in a close fight. Then I could understand the "heroic loser" narrative... But this was never that kind of fight.

This was just a giant cash grab, where naive fans were duped into thinking the result was in question... when it never was!

The realistic people know Conor was just a sacrificial lamb... the sycophants think he is a "heroic loser"!! (but only after they realise he actually had no hope) :p

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Not sure what the point you are trying to make.

McGregor is in serious trouble once newer fighters enter the UFC and suss him out. The current shower that he has met were clueless and some even went against their own game plan and found themselves fighting on Conor's terms ie Alvarez

He gasses out even in the MMA. Diaz is a joke of a fighter, but, he can take punishment. Slight change of McGregors decision to load up might have still taken those fights to the last round, but he may still have got his much wanted ko / tko

Regardless of the short notice, if Mendez had been smarter, he would have been far more economical with McGregor when he had McGregor on his back. Not once did he try to cover the airwaves of McGregor temporarily , perhaps him gassing out was a factor. A more composed Mendez may have been smarter then he took McGregor to the ground.

Advertisement