Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Froch was the only man talking sense during the fight. In the first two rounds when the others were blowing their loads about Conor not getting hit, Froch was adament Floyd didn't care about losing the opening rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

walshb wrote: »
    No..

They do not have to be the same thing...

They could be.. just they don't have to be.

I do not believe last night was Floyd carrying Conor. Not my definition.

Not your definition is right. Because your criteria doesn't determine what a turn of phrase actually means. It is not incorrect for others to state Conor was carried, regardless of whether you agree or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Super reply, Stringer. And I get every point as being valid and possible.

But do we believe it's exactly as Floyd planned? Or did he get a little "lucky."

The hypothetical ? still remains.. Conor with a solid engine?

Yes, Floyd could have planned and adapted and adjusted. But we won't get to know..

And your point about my views/criticisms being coloured due to my view of the fight..yes, very valid point. Maybe I am looking too hard to criticise Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Floyd via DQ
    Super reply, Stringer. And I get every point as being valid and possible.

But do we believe it's exactly as Floyd planned? Or did he get a little "lucky."

The hypothetical ? still remains.. Conor with a solid engine?

Yes, Floyd could have planned and adapted and adjusted. But we won't get to know..

Backing himself to win in 9.5 rounds seems he had his game plan all worked out.

There is a reason novice boxers don't fight 10/12 rounders. Floyd and everybody knows this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    I genuinely don't know what I should be praising Conor for though

Let me spell it out for you so. You said to walshie:
    ......your praise of Conor is strange . He was as bad as I thought he was going to be .

Even though you had previously said:
    He will not be able to land any punch .

And so clearly McGregor was NOT as bad as you thought he was going to be at all, and so....

1) Why are you saying he was?

2) How exactly could it be "strange" to praise a fighter that lands 111 punches (in his first ever professional boxing bout) when you'd thought he'd land NONE?

If anyone should understand praising such a fighter, it should be you, given your low expectations of him.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I don't think the bet was made! Reported he was after it alright.

Floyd via DQ
    I don't think the bet was made! Reported he was after it alright.

Not the full amount he got some on.
    Mayweather later told SportsCenter he gave a friend $400,000 to bet, but that the friend was only allowed to place a bet for $87,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Floyd via DQ
    Yeah, he left the money with a friend apparently but the max bet allowed was something like 87 thousand I think I read.

^^^^^^^ yep :)

Floyd via DQ
    Floyd is a crafty mf, you have to give him that much.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Wish I'd more money on the TKO, was clear as day when you think about it!

Still. keep me in Coke and Chocolate for the week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Floyd via DQ
    I'm going to break this up into parts for ease, re Conors engine....

We know Conor's engine is far from rock solid and from everything seen in the lead up, gassing on the heavy bags etc so I think its foolish to consider this as not being part of Mayweather's plan. His game plan seems to have been based around taking him to deep waters and drowning him.

If on the other hand we had something to suggest Conor's engine was rock solid, and there would have been evidence,I think it is safe to assume Mayweather's gameplan would have been significantly different and considering he won the previous 49 bouts that he gameplanned for I see no reason to doubt that he would have had a plan capable of outpointing what was basically an amateur.

On the part where you see it as he wasn't waiting for his opponent to gas, I have to disagree completely. This seemed to be the only thing he was doing, he looked across at him after round 2 and said "that's it, he tired" (paraphrasing) and then he took over the fight, it is not his style to walk guys down and his timing was not perfect as you would expect when he has been out of the ring for 2 years but he took over with ease and pushed the pace in the middle rounds, then went for the KO in round 9, didn't get it till 10 but the fight was over long before that.

He has plenty of form for taking the first few rounds off in effect to dissect his opponent, what he is doing,what he needs to do to counter and beat it, why do you think this fight was any different?

His offensive output has been nothing short of shocking for years, it was probably the best it has been for a long time last night, but that really isn't saying much. He has been happy to pot shot his way to victory for too long,many times there was spots there for him to take advantage of last night but he simply didn't he was happy to plod away, let McGregor continue to waste his rapidly depleting gas tank slapping and pillow jabbing, hitting his gloves,arms, air.

McGregor landed a couple of shots clean in the first two rounds, and they did nothing whatsoever to Mayweather, no effect. This I am sure made certain in Floyds mind he had nothing to do but wait till McGregor punched himself out and push him over basically. He was always in control of the fight, he took the first few seconds off each round to let McGregor have his flurry then spent the rest of the round walking him down, winning each round pretty clearly.

It isn't fair to say his offence had no effect when McGregor hadn't gassed as he really didn't try too mount much of an offence on him at that point of the fight, that wasn't his goal, he was asking questions, he was looking for reactions. He was spoiling at times and generally being Floyd Mayweather, but he was not trying to impose any sort of coherent offense on the fight.

It all come back to that being part of the gameplan for me, waiting for Conor to fade and finish him with ease, this being part of the plan can't really be held against him as a negative even though it was boring as **** for me anyway watching it. I mentioned the pause I had when he started talking about patience, taking his time and that at the weigh in or maybe it was one of the press conferences, I remember posting at the time that he may actually draw this out before ending it.

You are starting from an admitted position of, Floyd could do nothing really in your eyes to "win" the fight, I think this colours your criticism of him somewhat, sure he was uninspiring, but he was very Mayweather like in his gameplan right down to being unfamiliar with being the aggressor in the recent past :D

He deserves plenty of criticism for this farce, but his gameplan is tough to fault when it won him the fight with the minimum of effort. He has been a pox on boxing in my eyes for a long time and I am happy to see the back of him, but him being brutal for the most part last night doesn't make McGregor any better, he looked like a complete amateur in there, don't get me wrong, he actually looked better then I thought he would but he was still nowhere near what should be stepping into the ring at that level of boxing.

I think if McGregor had a rock solid engine it would have been a different fight, and I am 100% confident Mayweather still would have walked away the winner, and it probably would have been even less pretty of a spectacle!

Sorry for the long winded answer, see why I didn't want to do it on me phone :D

Excellent post and sums up my view exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ
    Super post Stringer. Bang on the money.

Rewatched the fight there. Byrd with one of the worst reffing performances in recent memory. Granted Conor is a novice and can't be expected to know the ins and outs of all the rules, but how he let him get away with constantly breaking the rules with holding the neck and rabbit punching is beyond me. Probably knew deep down it would make f*ck all difference anyway but you're there to protect both fighters regardless. At least he got the stoppage correct. Conor's efforts look worse viewing the fight completely sober now. Still gave everything he got, can't fault him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Floyd via DQ
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Interesting that Floyd tried to back himself to win in 9.5 rounds...

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20472005/floyd-mayweather-tried-bet-fight-conor-mcgregor

I'll watch it back tomorrow but when watching it live I thought Mayweather Snr said in the corner going into the 9th something along the lines of this is the last round.

He might just have been pushing Floyd to finish it or maybe that was the gameplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Conor outboxing Floyd until he gassed ? :-D
    One of the greatest boxers ever was out boxed by a 0-0.
    I'm no boxing Fan , in fact I havn't stayed up for a boxing fight since Mike Tyson bit off Holyfields ear.
    Conor outboxed nobody because Floyd wasn't doing anything.
    When Floyd started doing anything it was game over.

Conor should of went in there and just threw hell for leather till he couldn't anymore, would of had a better chance than actually trying to box with Floyd.

• Advertisement

Floyd via DQ
    Competitive my arse. It was a stroll after round 3 with Mayweather showing no respect for Conor whatsoever by walking at him in straight lines.

Floyd via DQ
    McGregor caught him lots during those rounds, it wasn't all one way traffic.

People saying the fight proves that Conor doesn't have power are having a laugh. You can see from the shots Conor was throwing, long before they landed, that they were not going to do much. Why he seemed to under perform in the regard I am not sure.

Not saying McGregor has huge power or anything but just that while he connected with Floyd quite a lot (111 punches - 2nd highest amount of shots any fighter has ever hit Floyd with) he never really hit him with anything of significance..... and that's just as well for Floyd as had they're been power on those shots, they would have hurt him.

Not competitive? Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Floyd via DQ
    McGregor caught him lots during those rounds, it wasn't all one way traffic.

People saying the fight proves that Conor doesn't have power are having a laugh. You can see from the shots Conor was throwing, long before they landed, that they were not going to do much. Why he seemed to under perform in the regard I am not sure.

Not saying McGregor has huge power or anything but just that while he connected with Floyd quite a lot (111 punches - 2nd highest amount of shots any fighter has ever hit Floyd with) he never really hit him with anything of significance..... and that's just as well for Floyd as had they're been power on those shots, they would have hurt him.

Not competitive? Yeah, right.

Is this one included in the 111 :pac:

https://twitter.com/yiannimanero/status/901688674018054144

Floyd via DQ
    It wasn't competitive. Little tapping shots that ya wouldn't see in a local gym. Floyd didn't give a toss what he was throwing at him after round 2. He kept plodding forward towards McGregor in straight lines. No feints, no shoulder rolls - nothing. It was a breeze for him.

He seemed to underperform because he can't punch. He doesn't seem to punch through an opponent, he kinda punches at them if ya get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Mayweather was bouncing off the ropes at the end, as if he were ready to start a real fight. McGregor looked 80 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Was just thinking what would happen if Conor boxed Andy Lee. Would be over very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ
    bajer101 wrote: »
    Was just thinking what would happen if Conor boxed Andy Lee. Would be over very quickly.

Andy is 6'2" and walks around over 190lbs and weighs 175+ on fight nights and cuts a decent amount of weight to make middle weight these days.

It's not really a fair question to ask. He's a much bigger man.

Andy is 6'2" and walks around over 190lbs and weighs 175+ on fight nights and cuts a decent amount of weight to make middle weight these days.

It's not really a fair question to ask. He's a much bigger man.

The point I'm making is that Conor would be knocked the fück out very, very quickly despite the slight weight difference. Different league. Andy would just knock him out for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Floyd via DQ
    Slight difference:confused:. Andy is a 6'2 middleweight, of course he would.

What? Andy is lighter than Diaz. Height is irrelevant. My point is that Andy would knock him out handy. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Backing himself to win in 9.5 rounds seems he had his game plan all worked out.

There is a reason novice boxers don't fight 10/12 rounders. Floyd and everybody knows this
    The fact he had back himself under 9.5 rounds (and didn't know how much he got on) is more damning if his performance than anything else. I'm aware the bet still came in, but there's no way he's planned to cutt it that close. I'd guess Conor survived a few rounds longer than anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    The fact he had back himself under 9.5 rounds (and didn't know how much he got on) is more damning if his performance than anything else. I'm aware the bet still came in, but there's no way he's planned to c utt it that close. I'd guess Conor survived a few rounds longer than anticipated.

No the bet never registered. It never went through, there was a problem. It couldn't be made.

People were also raising questions at the ethics/legality of making a specific bet on the scorecard of a fight. I think it should be totally 100% illegal - the only bet a person should be allowed to make is on their own victory because that's the goal of the fight. Any special bet makes a person less focused on winning. I'm sure Mayweather could have KOed him in 2 rounds if necessary, but he would have had to come in so fast and hard and left himself much more open, with a fresh McGregor it would have had some risk to go that hard that soon. So it could be argued specifying any amount of rounds is going to jeopardize the outcome to some degree.

Floyd via DQ
    Fair play to McGrergor he lasted longer than expected, but anyone saying this fight was competitive is wearing very rose tinted glasses.

As a fight, it was dreadful, so many fouls and very little meaningful engagements.

Hope Conor enjoys his money and spends it wisely and doesn't end up bankrupt in 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    You said you found it hard not to give him credit for the early rounds. So what?

I made other complimentary comments too...

But at the end of the day, they were insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So my praise for him, has to be limited in that respect.

You guys are desperately moving the goalposts... now it's all about how great he did to survive... how he landed a few weak ineffective punches... how he won a few rounds... :pac:

(rounds that were partly gifted to him, so Floyd could let him blow his load early and gas out later - plenty of evidence of Floyd doing this in his previous fights)

If you want to lift my previous quotes from this thread... why don't you go back to my very earliest posts (almost 2 months ago now), where I predicted pretty much everything that happened in this fight?? There were plenty of other posters, who did the same... so I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here. These things were blindingly obvious to us!

I said Conor's power would not transfer over to boxing... many times... I said his punches would not hurt Floyd (if he landed)... Was I wrong??

Those same punches, are dropping bloated wrestlers in the UFC like flies... but this isn't MMA! Floyd just smiled back at him, and walked him down! ;)

I said 40 year old Floyd would drag his tired (29 year old) a$$ into the later rounds, and drown him... that Conor would not live with the pace of old man Floyd! I predicted this would be part of Floyd's strategy... Was I wrong??

I said Conor would become a boxer... that all the bruce lee martial artist guff, was a load of BS... and that's exactly what happened. He transformed himself into a rangy awkward boxer with a big heart, but a very limited skillset... there was nothing even remotely close to bruce lee in there!! lol

Why don't you go and pull out all those quotes...??

You don't have the stones, to admit that many of us called these things correctly.... :p

You are just coming across, as a very bitter MMA fan... and it's a very ugly look!! Try showing a little bit more class... (if that's within your capabilities) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Floyd via DQ
    You said Conor wouldn't land a punch on Floyd, you said Conor wouldn't win a round, were you wrong, yes, are you the one movinf the goal posts, yes.

I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Conor failed to land clean punches in this fight... I never said he absolutely wouldn't land any punches... get your facts straight!!!

I had my doubts he could land clean... but I never suggested that it was impossible for him to land a punch!

There is a big difference between those two things!

Yes, I did say it was very unlikely that Conor could win a round... I hold my hands up on that one... I was wrong. (but like I said, he did get more than a little bit of help from Floyd's fight strategy)

But no excuses... wrong is wrong. And I was off the mark on that particular one!

But I got the majority of my assessment on this "fight" correct... as did many other people on this forum. But posters like Pistol Pete, simply don't have the class or stones to acknowledge this... which is a rather sad reflection on them tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I see where you're coming from... part of me was anticipating some kind of masterclass too. Particularly as this was his big send-off.

But then another part of me, just knew that Floyd would be cautious. He has always been a slightly frustrating fighter that way... But is that not also part of his genius? He is a clever tactician... and he actually fights within his true abilities.

He was always in total control of the outcome of this fight. It's just that his tactics, were conservative. I guess leopard can't really change it's spots.

He's also not really a naturally offensive fighter. I think there were two fighters out there, trying to figure out what they were doing!! (slight exaggeration) :p

The one thing about FM was he had no idea what he would be facing in boxing terms. Its not like he could examine footage of past fights to devise a gameplan so he had to create one on the go as the early rounds went by. Once he figured his opponent out he just picked him off at will.

The Maliggnaggi stuff was poor from the McGregor camp too. Maybe its because we are in Ireland but I never saw any footage from the Mayweather training camp. McGregor seems to need to be in the midst of a media frenzy all the time and FM doesn't. FM was eating a burger king and partying with loads of pretry girls during the week before fight night. McGregor was desperately dropping weight.

The leaked video of sparring to prove McGregor can box was against a guy who has an Amir Khan inflicted "L" on his record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    Overall I have to say McGregor did better than I thought. Won a round , connected with a couple of decent punches as well.

Mayweather just walked him down though, never really a contest, very one sided. McGregor just didn't have the skills to make it competitive.

Mayweather just far too good, so superior as a boxer and the composure and know how in a ring.

I doubt we ever see McGregor in a boxing ring again(no harm)

I doubt we ever see McGregor in a boxing ring again(no harm)

McGregor's ego says otherwise.

If he wants to be a serious boxer he needs to change his entire coaching setup. Loyalty wont save him from a savage beating if he steps in the boxing ring again. I don't think he would go the proper route to gain the experience either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ
    Burkie1203 wrote: »

If he wants to be a serious boxer he needs to change his entire coaching setup. Loyalty wont save him from a savage beating if he steps in the boxing ring again. I don't think he would go the proper route to gain the experience either.

I dont think that's true, he had a chance to fight one of the best of all time a guy he has admired for years and make $100million.

He knows he was out of his depth but still gave it a shot. He landed some punches too but there is no doubt now that he just doesnt have the boxing skills to compete. I think that will keep him from getting in a ring again. Losing to possible the greatest of all time is no shame, to lose to someone like Paulie would break Conor and to be honest personally I couldn't take the build up if that fight ever gets made, I would have to self exclude myself from this place. Sell the TV and laptop and get myself a non smart phone so I didnt have to see any of it!

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Burkie1203 wrote: »

Let's put this to bed...Conor is done as being a serious boxer. It's quite clear from what we saw that he will never make a pro boxer of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Floyd via DQ
    Just catching up on all of this. Unfortunately, the fight panned out in such a way that both 'sides'can claim I was right, you were wrong or a moral victory. For me it wasn't close and it wasn't a good fight.
    Mayweather did what he wanted in there because he felt under no threat.When do you ever see him marching forward, hands held high, taking a few shots, throwing 3-4 and missing half of them? He was happy to take a few shots as it became clear early enough that McGregor does not have the technique or experience to be a big puncher in a boxing ring. We've never seen Mayweather as relaxed or sloppy and from an aesthetic point of view it did not look great.
    We did not get to see the defensive wizardry, counter punching or the pinpoint accuracy as he did not need any of that and was able to do what he wanted. He did nothing for the first 2-3 rounds, let McGregor unload to see what he had and threw the odd jab to the body in return. It did just look like an exhibition to him. I'm glad McGregor went nearly 10 rounds and that he won a round or 2 but I think that could have been even more one sided had Mayweather wanted it to be.
    To sum it up Floyd won at a canter but didn't look great, McGregor isn't a boxer and I'm glad it's over. Roll on GGG vs Canelo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

Can I ask a question to the boxing experts. How did Conor only win the first round? I definitely taught he 100% won the second and even the third as Mayweather done absolutely nothing to justify winning them!

This is why I hate boxing.. I watched the Packy fight and I taught the judges were giving Mayweather a good few rounds that Paco was clearly winning. Same with the boxing in the olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Congratulations to the people who won soft money Saturday night. Fair play to the lads who predicted it almost to a tee. I think if Conor had decent cardio he would have troubled Floyd, he would have kept slipping an countering Floyd. Floyd wouldn't have come foward like that if Conor wasn't badly gassing either. End of the day he did gas and got an education on boxing conditioning. Fair play tho. Especially to Walsh who seems to have watched the same fight I did.

benny79 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question to the boxing experts. How did Conor only win the first round? I definitely taught he 100% won the second and even the third as Mayweather done absolutely nothing to justify winning them!

This is why I hate boxing.. I watched the Packy fight and I taught the judges were giving Mayweather a good few rounds that Paco was clearly winning. Same with the boxing in the olympics

2nd and 3rd rounds for me would be about landing cleanly. CmcG threw a lot but he wasnt really connecting and his boxing technique was poor. They were very 50-50 rounds. FM was able to roll out of the punch so it was depowered on impact.

Andy Lee also pointed out on newstalk that CmcG had his gloves laced wrong. If thats true then its poor. Like who laced his gloves, his mother ????

After that it was easy picking for FM. Just stay out of trouble and wear CmcG down.

A bit like dublin v tyrone yesterday. Tyrone put 14 men inside their 45. Dubs were happy to drop back and keep the ball for 2 or 3 minutes at a time. Then work the opening to score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

How much of a difference would gloves laced wrong make?

Congratulations to the people who won soft money Saturday night. Fair play to the lads who predicted it almost to a tee. I think if Conor had decent cardio he would have troubled Floyd, he would have kept slipping an countering Floyd. Floyd wouldn't have come foward like that if Conor wasn't badly gassing either. End of the day he did gas and got an education on boxing conditioning. Fair play tho. Especially to Walsh who seems to have watched the same fight I did.

FM was never going to lose. Even if CmcG wasnt gassed after 3 or 4 rounds, his technique was poor. His best shot, the uppercut, didnt trouble FM. A lot of the other stuff he landed was depowered.

How much of a difference would gloves laced wrong make?

Lee said that they can soften or harden the impact zone of the glove depending on how they are done

Edit
    Pacman did a lot more damage to FMs face with 30 punches fewer then CmcG. Look at the photos of post fight pressers

Burkie1203 wrote:
    FM was never going to lose. Even if CmcG wasnt gassed after 3 or 4 rounds, his technique was poor. His best shot, the uppercut, didnt trouble FM. A lot of the other stuff he landed was depowered.

His technique wasn't boxing technique but it was effective point scoring and would have troubled Floyd, at least make him work hard if Conor had the conditioning to go with the game plan.

Also the power not transferring to boxing..

I was always of the opinion that Conor has timing and accuracy, he never had KO power, but it seems he has 0 power. The 4 or 5 clean shots that snapped Floyd's head back didn't bother him in the slightest.

Roll on McGregor v Mallinagi...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Conor via DQ
    Alot of boxers interviewed seemed to give him alot of credit in there saying he did well Yanks mostly, think I've only seen Bellew and Malinaggi being critical ........maybe they're just happy and relieved their game came out on top and prepared to give him some good will ........I personally think while not embarrassing himself did not do a great job

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote:
    Alot of boxers interviewed seemed to give him alot of credit in there saying he did well Yanks mostly, think I've only seen Bellew and Malinaggi being critical ........maybe they're just happy and relieved their game came out on top and prepared to give him some good will ........I personally think while not embarrassing himself did not do a great job

Everyone expected him to get embarresed

He didn't get embarresed

Therefore he did better than expected so people are giving him credit for it.

Running outta gas that early must be embarrassing though, 3 rounds and he was catching flies. I've no doubt that he does put in the work. The Columbian party's and devils lettuce when he's out of camp definitely isn't helping though.

Floyd via DQ
    His technique wasn't boxing technique but it was effective point scoring and would have troubled Floyd, at least make him work hard if Conor had the conditioning to go with the game plan.

It didn't trouble Floyd, there was nothing that conditioning could have done to help McGregor, he gave it his best shot but doesnt have the necessary skills to fight someone of Floyd's calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Conor via DQ
    It didn't trouble Floyd, there was nothing that conditioning could have done to help McGregor, he gave it his best shot but doesnt have the necessary skills to fight someone of Floyd's calibre.

He would have gone the distance quite handily without gassing......while never doing enough to win that would have been huge alone

Floyd via KO-TKO

One could make a case that Conor won the first 4 rds, maybe even 5...

Problem being that he was on the way out after this, and Floyd knew it..

I know I have been quite critical of Floyd's performance, but Maravilla made a good point that he knew Conor was not going to last, and it allowed Floyd to box and fight in a more free way, not trying to be super accurate or super effective.

I'm glad it's over. It was all hype and no substance. I said that from day 1...

And Floyd is still 49-0 for me.

I don't agree there. I think with better conditioning he at least lasts the distance. There was only 2 rounds in that 10 that Conor wasn't having any success. Floyd said himself, the game plan was to wait untill Conor gassed out then knock him out. That's exactly what happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement