Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't agree there. I think with better conditioning he at least lasts the distance. There was only 2 rounds in that 10 that Conor wasn't having any success. Floyd said himself, the game plan was to wait untill Conor gassed out then knock him out. That's exactly what happened.

Scorecards of judges say different. CmcG wasnt having much success at all

His technique wasn't boxing technique but it was effective point scoring and would have troubled Floyd, at least make him work hard if Conor had the conditioning to go with the game plan.

This was judged boxing not point scoring. FMs face post fight tells us all we need to know about CmcGs poor technique and how ineffective it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    And Floyd is still 49-0 for me.

Hes 50-0. Marciano beat a lot of bums in that 49-0 and fought in one of the most uncompetitive times in heavyweight history.

Sure, Saturday was a bit of an exhibition match but no more valid than some of Marcianos fights.

Mayweather has beaten 22 world champions in those 50 fights.

One could make a case that Conor won the first 4 rds, maybe even 5....

On what basis? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I didn't see the judges scorecards? What were they? Conor won the first 3 rounds, ludicrous if they didn't score it that way.

You could lose every round in a fight and still be very competitive, so having success doesn't have to mean winning rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Floyd via DQ
    Think I will have to give up the internet if Paulie vs McGregor ever happens. I can't do this again....

I didn't see the judges scorecards? What were they? Conor won't the first 3 rounds, ludicrous if they didn't score it that way.

You could lose every round in a fight and still be very competitive, so having success doesn't have to mean winning rounds.

89-81, 87- 83, 89-82

Burkie1203 wrote:
    This was judged boxing not point scoring. FMs face post fight tells us all we need to know about CmcGs poor technique and how ineffective it was.

You know exactly what I mean by point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Conor via DQ
    Think I will have to give up the internet if Paulie vs McGregor ever happens. I can't do this again....

A fight with Malinaggi behind closed doors, no money no headgear just a ref and a video camera rolling.......how much does he want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    On what basis? ?

Watch the rds and you will see, no?

I gave him rds 1-3, with three being close..

4 and 5 were more Mayweather, but switching off Sky commentary and taking the rds as the full 3 mins on mute, I wouldn't call giving them to Conor as bad calls..Mayweather was much more active in 4 and 5, but Conor was also active and holding his own..

It might have been a case of giving to Floyd because, well, he was nonexistent in 1 and 2, and just competitive in rd 3..

Anyway, it's irrelevant as regards the outcome, but relevant when breaking down what exactly happened.

• Advertisement

Watch the rds and you will see, no?

I gave him rds 1-3, with three being close..

4 and 5 were more Mayweather, but switching off Sky commentary and taking the rds as the full 3 mins on mute, I wouldn't call giving them to Conor as bad calls..Mayweather was much more active in 4 and 5, but Conor was also active and holding his own..

It might have been a case of giving to Floyd because, well, he was nonexistent in 1 and 2, and just competitive in rd 3..

Anyway, it's irrelevant as regards the outcome, but relevant when breaking down what exactly happened.

But thats not how they judge fights. Ring craft, defensive capabilities all come into it.

CmcG won rd 1.
    Rd 2 and 3 were even in my book. CmcG had no technique. Two of the three scorecards reflect that.

From here on FM controlled the fight. All aspects of it. It was played out at his pace.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    But thats not how they judge fights. Ring craft, defensive capabilities all come into it.

CmcG won rd 1.
    Rd 2 and 3 were even in my book. CmcG had no technique. Two of the three scorecards reflect that.

From here on FM controlled the fight. All aspects of it. It was played out at his pace.

I am well aware how rds are and can be judged...

I stand by my point..rds 4 and 5 being awarded to Conor wouldn't be bad calls..

I am well aware how rds are and can be judged...

Would have been poor calls. FM was in control. He sussed CmcG out by then.

walshb wrote:

And rounds 1,2 or 3 going to Floyd would be bad calls.

I'm not making an argument that Conor could have won or anything, he was clearly outclassed in the end, but he clearly won 1,2,3 and scraped 4. 5 was even.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Would have been poor calls. FM was in control. He sussed CmcG out by then.

May be..

Anyway, it was the beginning of the end for Conor. Fatigue was setting in..

Floyd via KO-TKO
    And rounds 1,2 or 3 going to Floyd would be bad calls.

I'm not making an argument that Conor could have won or anything, he was clearly outclassed in the end, but he clearly won 1,2,3 and scraped 4. 5 was even.

Rd 3 was close. I scored to Conor, but giving it Floyd would not have been a bad call.

Lets be honest it was a very easy fight for Mayweather. Conor did very well, better than expected, but was figured out after 2-3 rounds and then the inevitable set in. Typical Mayweather fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    No the bet never registered. It never went through, there was a problem. It couldn't be made.
    He said, post fight, that he didn't know how much money his guy got on. Turns out it was the $87k but for all he knew it was the full 400.

Floyd via DQ
    The Nal wrote: »
    Hes 50-0. Marciano beat a lot of bums in that 49-0 and fought in one of the most uncompetitive times in heavyweight history.

Sure, Saturday was a bit of an exhibition match but no more valid than some of Marcianos fights.

Mayweather has beaten 22 world champions in those 50 fights.

But how many of the bums weren't boxers?
    I'd be of the 49 - 0 view too.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    But how many of the bums weren't boxers?
    I'd be of the 49 - 0 view too.

A good few journeymen and part timers who had as much boxing experience as Conor. Truck drivers who boxed at the weekends.

Like this guy. 62 fights, lost 42 of them. A punchbag. Most of Tysons early opponents were the same. Mayweathers 50 is more "legit" than Marcianos 49.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/12709

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Conor on points
    His hands must be destroyed . He said he didnt spar in the month leading up to it.

Anybody know how many times he's broke a bone in either hand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

A good post from r/zoraxdoom on the Mayweather could have beaten Conor at any moment:
    This whole 'Conor only won the first 3 rounds because Mayweather let him' thing is such a nonsense argument.

If Mayweather could have starched Conor in the first 3 rounds with no risk, he would have. If any of us get in the ring there with Mayweather we're done in the first minute of Round 1. No question.

He couldn't do that to Conor because Conor showed enough nous, enough skill, and enough awkwardness to force Mayweather to sit back, watch, and figure out a path. Conor posed enough of a threat to earn those 3 rounds from Mayweather.

Likewise, if Mayweather could walk back out there in Round 4 and KO Conor, he would have. Why would he not? Why hold back? He himself said he expected it to be done in Round 6/7, but it took longer than he expected because Conor was a lot better than he expected.

Conor didn't win rounds due to pity from Floyd. Conor didn't make it to Round 10 because Floyd, for the first time in his life, in his final match, after the tickets had been sold and the PPVs bought, decided now is the time for him to put on a show for the fans. Now he will carry his opponent for 6 rounds more than he needed to, just to give the fans something to watch. That's ridiculous. He's KOed former world champions in 5 rounds, and he's gone 12 rounds of boring fighting in the biggest fight of his career at the time. He does what he needs to do to win the boxing match.

The match went to round 10 because Conor was good enough to warrant a 40 year old Floyd needing 10 rounds to stop him. Conor won all the rounds he won (3, 4,5 however you look at it) because he earned the respect of Floyd to the point where Floyd let him have those rounds.
    I don't get why people are trying so hard to discredit what he did. He did very well, it was a good fight, and Mayweather won.

Why do people have such a chip on their shoulder about this? Why the negativity? Why the desire to discredit what just happened? I don't get it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Floyd via DQ
    Not trying to bash the guy but anyone have an idea on why McGregor's cardio is so bad,
    Now I mean bad for a athlete at his level , I know its much better than anyone here but for a world level athlete, its the one thing you yourself have control over and it seems to let him down ,
    Even in his two fights against Diaz his cardio went, I know they where tuff fights but guys like Bisping, Frankie, Lawler are constantly in tough fights and don't gas,
    Could it be all the partying he does when he has long spell between fights ?

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Some boxing fans, or probably anti MMA fans just cannot admit that Floyd worked hard to get that result...why they can't admit it is odd?

Some truly believe it, fair enough. Others don't, but just won't admit to it..

I called the fight as a clear dominant win inside 6...

I was way off...

It would be lazy and begrudging and pathetic of me to try and weasel out of that by claiming it was all perfectly planned by Floyd. I cannot know this, and my own eyes and knowledge tell me it's just not true.

Conor on points
    Some boxing fans, or probably anti MMA fans just cannot admit that Floyd worked hard to get that result...why they can't admit it is odd?

I was way off...

It would be lazy and begrudging and pathetic of me to try and weasel out of that by claiming it was all perfectly planned by Floyd. I cannot know this, and my own eyes and knowledge tell me it's just not true.

I'd argue he didnt work hard enough . Took the easiest way to get the win/stoppage . Wasnt even tired or breathing heavy . No bumps no bruises . Thats not working hard , its working as easy and risk free which is terrible on his part. Im sure he doesnt give a cr@p though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ

I was way off...

You also don't like Floyd so this fight was a real no win in your eyes regardless of the result.

Floyd won the fight comfortably and it was never in doubt. I scored it slightly different to you I had McGregor winning round 1 and thought neither did enough to win round 2 or 3 not much landed by either from there I thought Mayweather won every round.

But again it wouldnt really matter what I scored it, on the majority of the Judges cards Mayweather was up 9-1 in rounds.

Floyd via DQ

I was way off...

He was smiling and even winked at the sky team during a clinche in round 2,
    You have to remember he your talking about a 40 yearold ,2 years retired ,last stoppage 10 years ago ( Ortiz doesn;t count) and he oculdn;t spar for the month leading up to the fight, Also he had zero footage of Conor boxing to make his plan around,
    He literally just watched Conor for 2/3 rounds to work him out and then realised what he needed to do, he was always comfortable
    People say he hit Flyod more than Manny and this is true because Flyod tatics changed and where different in each fight,
    Conor done great to get there and is a amazing MMA fighter, but don't let him being Irish cloud your thoughts he was totally outclassed from start to finish and its no shame,

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Whether I "like" him or not is irrelevant.

Had he done the job in dominant and clear fashion like I thought he would I wouldn't be posting as I am..

Liking or disliking needs to be removed. You then call and assess the fight on what actually happened..I have done this, and for me TBE had to put in a lot more effort than I had anticipated.

FM would have planned to a degree. His MO has always been that way. He also would know that if hasnt been put on his arse by the time round 4 begins then its all stacked in his favour.

CmcG would have known this too. He needed to end it by rd 4. He needed that big shot to connect. Mayweather basically had to devise a gameplan blind because CmcG has no boxing history and then alter it as the early rounds unfolded. He did that unerringly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Floyd via DQ

Had he done the job in dominant and clear fashion like I thought he would I wouldn't be posting as I am..

Liking or disliking needs to be removed. You then call and assess the fight on what actually happened..I have done this, and for me TBE had to put in a lot more effort than I had anticipated.

He did the job in a dominant and clear fashion.

• Advertisement

Why did you anticipate that? Hes a smart and conservative fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The one thing about FM was he had no idea what he would be facing in boxing terms. Its not like he could examine footage of past fights to devise a gameplan so he had to create one on the go as the early rounds went by. Once he figured his opponent out he just picked him off at will.

The Maliggnaggi stuff was poor from the McGregor camp too. Maybe its because we are in Ireland but I never saw any footage from the Mayweather training camp. McGregor seems to need to be in the midst of a media frenzy all the time and FM doesn't. FM was eating a burger king and partying with loads of pretry girls during the week before fight night. McGregor was desperately dropping weight.

The leaked video of sparring to prove McGregor can box was against a guy who has an Amir Khan inflicted "L" on his record.

Why are you trying to spin things to make it suit your argument better.

Floyd was sitting around in a club he owns not drinking or smoking or anything like it. That's partying in your book is it?

Conor wasn't "desperately dropping weight". He was professionally making weight in a controlled manner, like he always does.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    The Nal wrote: »
    Why did you anticipate that? Hes a smart and conservative fighter.

Well, because he is a career great fighting a novice pro...

I thought he would have done the job in far better style. He didn't, as well as looking novice like himself for parts of the fight..

But, if it really was his whole plan all along, it was perfection!

Floyd via KO-TKO
    He did the job in a dominant and clear fashion.

Towards the end he did... comfortable winner.

I was dissecting the whole fight. My points are relating to every minute of the fight..

Nothing clear about his superiority for a fair bit of the action..

Floyd via DQ
    Naos wrote: »
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Conor was better than I thought he would be.
    Floyd wasn't as good as he should have been, but he has been retired for over 2 years.

It was like a cat playing with his prey for a good while, and the prey put up a good fight.

This two year thing... Conor hadn't fought for almost a year.

Also, all I read about before the fight was that Floyd is renowned for never getting out of shape, does 10 mile runs for fun at 3am in the morning... now it's he's been retired for two years.

Moving the goalposts majorly.
    People seem to be running with Floyd was retired 2 year but Connor was off for 1 ,
    Floyd retired because he is 40 years of age its not like he was having a break, he's is retired because of age its like apples and oranges,
    He's reflex's ,strength stamina the whole lot are fading at the age of 40 even if he was still active,
    Of course he wasn't like he was 5 or 4 years ago, 
    The only reason the fight happened is because of this ,the Floyd of 5 years ago would straight make a fool of Conor and 90% of pro boxers,

Floyd via DQ

I was dissecting the whole fight. My points are relating to every minute of the fight..

From round 4 on his superiority was very clear.

Floyd walked him down and dismantled McGregor.

Conor did well in rounds 1-3 was much more competitive than I thought he would be landed a couple of good shots but never looked capable of hurting Floyd.

Well, because he is a career great fighting a novice pro...

I thought he would have done the job in far better style. He didn't, as well as looking novice like himself for parts of the fight..

But, if it really was his whole plan all along, it was perfection!

I think that may have been his plan yeah. Just hang around long enough to win and if a KO opportunity arises then take it.

Hes a very boring fighter though yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ

Mayweather did what Mayweather does for the first two rounds. He sat defensively and let Conor come at him to see what he had. He did it with a smile on his face and a total lack of concern, between rounds he was laughing, smiling and hadn't broken a sweat.

In the third round he started pushing forward a little more and moving more freely, and even threw a few punches.

From the opening bell of the 4th round he absolutely bullied McGregor He threw more punches in the 4th than he did in the first 3 combined.

He walked him down and drove him around the ring and gave zero respect to Conor's imagined power.
    In the 8th he picked up the pace and started to really grind Conor down, in the 9th he went for the finish and in the 10th he ended it.

And he did it all without ever looking to be troubled, without ever getting out of second gear. It was the easiest he's had in probably 15 years.

You're being ridiculous

Floyd via KO-TKO
    From round 4 on his superiority was very clear.

Floyd walked him down and dismantled McGregor.

Conor did well in rounds 1-3 was much more competitive than I thought he would be landed a couple of good shots but never looked capable of hurting Floyd.

Well, rds 4 and 5 were competitive..

6-10 Floyd was turning the screw, but Conor was still there and still fighting and still making Floyd work hard in 6, 7 and 8..

I agree. Floyd must have known that Conor's shots weren't anything to be too worried about come rd 6 or so..he then upped the pace and got the job done.

Floyd via KO-TKO

You're being ridiculous

I'm a ridiculous person, remember...?

Over and out, kiid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    Is this one included in the 111

Open to correction, but apparently not.
    ..... Compubox DO NOT count "tippy tappy" punches. The rabbit punches, tappy punches, the comical jab that tipped Floyd's nose etc are not counted in their totals. When Compubox say Conor landed 111 punches they are 111 punches that landed with "force" which is their first criteria to count it as landed.

Floyd via DQ
    Well, rds 4 and 5 were competitive..

6-10 Floyd was turning the screw, but Conor was still there and still fighting and still making Floyd work hard in 6, 7 and 8..

I agree. Floyd must have known that Conor's shots weren't anything to be too worried about come rd 6 or so..he then upped the pace and got the job done.

I thought it was obvious after round 1 that Floyd wasnt worried about McGregor's "power" .. obviously though you don't want to get caught with a clean punch from anyone so he was conservative as he mostly has been in his career, but he wasnt as conservative as he would have been against a good boxer. His defence wasn't what it normally is probably due to the lack of fear about McGregor's punches and Mayweather's accuracy was off in spots as well.

But like you pointed out at the very start of this thread this was going to be one of Mayweather's easiest fights and IMO it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Floyd via DQ
    If you want to lift my previous quotes from this thread... why don't you go back to my very earliest posts (almost 2 months ago now), where I predicted pretty much everything that happened in this fight?? There were plenty of other posters, who did the same...

Yes and I was one of them:
    He wins by TKO in the first three or he gets a boxing clinic if it goes past that stage.
    If I wasn't a McGregor fan, I'd be all over Mayweather by TKO @ roughly 5/2 on Betfair.

You however are trying to gloss over the fact that you thought it was absurd to even consider that McGregor could win a round:
    The fact you actually think Conor has a chance to win round(s) on the scorecard, shows how little you actually understand about the sport... it's actually funny to read.

You were wrong.

Conor on points
    I agree with walsh in a way . I thought Floyd would land easier earlier in the fight . I think he seen how awkward Conor was though coupled with ring rust and lack of sparring and just took the safest option.

He was winking at Froch in round 2 ( Froch loved that hence his Floyd lovefest ) . After round 2 it was just a matter of when .

I agree with walsh in a way . I thought Floyd would land easier earlier in the fight .

He threw 4 punches in round 1. Conor threw 34. Mayweather had no intention of going big early.

Totally easy and controlled performance from Mayweather. Not a mark on him after. Clean as a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Alot of people saying they were disappointed by Floyd, which is fair enough, he wasn't great. But to be honest, last night was Floyd "going on the offensive". He doesn't do it much, if ever. It was effectively new territory for him taking the fight to someone. So of course he was going to be sloppy. Doing that is not his game.

Have to laugh at the people who are coming on to laugh at the people who said Conor wouldn't land punch. If Floyd fought defensively/like his usual self, Conor wouldn't have landed a punch of note, that simple. Although I guess the "wouldn't land a punch" quote is mainly in reference to Conor not being able to hit any top pro boxer, not just Floyd. In that case, he would land a punch at some stage against most top boxers, but would get pummeled in the meantime. He's lucky he was in the ring with Floyd going on the offensive as opposed to GGG.

Floyd is simply unbeatable and that's coming from someone who hates him. The only person who may have been able to beat him at one point was Pacquiao in his prime. His hand speed may have been able to open Floyd up

Conor landed his best punches in the early rounds when Floyd was still fighting defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ
    marcus001 wrote: »
    Conor landed his best punches in the early rounds when Floyd was still fighting defensively.

And those punches were nothing punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Really I thought it went exactly how a carried fight would go . Allow him punch out first few rounds . Toy with him mid rounds . Finish in championship rounds . It's strange you are so dismissive of it now

Floyd's strategy for the fight was pitch perfect for the purposes of getting the win without taking many risks. The result's more consistent with Floyd being a boxing wizard than him deciding to carry the fight.

He let Conor throw his best punches early then when he got tired he came out swinging. He didn't take the risks in the early rounds when Conor's punches still had some sting in them. That's not carrying the fight that's fighting smart which is what Floyd always does. Floyd is a consummate professional, the idea that he would hold back to make the opponent look good has no basis judging from his past behaviour.

Conor on points
    Its funny
    MMA fans are happy after the fight with Conors performance
    Boxing fans are happy Floyd got the highlight reel finish
    UFC are happy their cash cow didnt take too much punishment as can return in the near future
    Floyd is happy he is 50-0 and finished with a TKO
    Conor is happy it was stopped on his feet, got filthy rich and can return to the UFC with his rep intact

Everyone is happy . Walshie i thought you'd be all over this

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And those punches were nothing punches.

I imagine the point when he landed a flush left uppercut and it had absolutely no effect is the moment when McGregor realised this was a fight he had no chance of winning. The one weapon in his arsenal (so we were told anyway) and his opponent may as well have laughed it off.

Advertisement