Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

I never once said he was an outsider with the bookies in any of his fights, I simply said the MMA fans doubted him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Reading some of the nonsense here. Fellas, you do realise this proposed match is a boxing match? All this referencing him beating this guy and that guy in MMA...who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Conor via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    Not only would he not come out on top he'd be brutally exposed at that level. I was at the Novice all Ireland's last week and he'd be at that level. U22s would be too much for him.

Ok. Trained and prepared he could beat the best novices, but no way the intermediate lads.

what level would you be at yourself? suppose youd take him handy I bet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Agreed, it just gets tiring when every time you read an article or turn on an interview, it's all about ''proving the doubters wrong.''

The merits of MMA v boxing is interesting. As someone posted earlier, we are all going to this circus despite what we think about it.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Depp wrote: »
    what level would you be at yourself? suppose youd take him handy I bet! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't take him at all. But what that's got to do with Intermediate lads taking him, not to mention Floyd Mayweather, is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement

Conor via DQ
    I wouldn't take him at all. But what that's got to do with Intermediate lads taking him, not to mention Floyd Mayweather, is anyone's guess.

this any intermediate would take him notion is ridiculous, especially when you specified ''trained and prepared''...you are aware of the coaching he would have access to if he trained for boxing full time? not to mention his athleticism, reaction times and general speed. you seem to highly overestimate the talent levels at intermediate boxing! not coming on saying he'll take floyd handy or anything but to state any intermediate would tool him up is very blinkered.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    For the record. Even trained and prepared he would be second best to Intermediate/U 22 boxers in Ireland.

Conor via DQ
    For the record. Even trained and prepared he would be second best to Intermediate-U 22 boxers in Ireland.

*in your opinion.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    eddie73 wrote: »

So 25-1 on is the most they make Floyd a favourite? That's very generous to Conor. I know it's a two horse race with many variables, but all above board and both healthy I would have thought minimum 100 to 1 on..

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Depp wrote: »
    *in your opinion.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Until it actually happened then it is all opinion, but educated nonetheless.

Walsh you have never seen Conor fight in a professional boxing match so your posts are as nonsensical as any others. You haven't a clue same as any of us. You may have seen him sparring boxing in preparation for an MMA fight, which has nothing to do with actual boxing. You may have seen him compete years ago before he started MMA, which again is irrelevant.
    Its an interesting fight, simply because no one knows how Conor will fair. I have put forward logical reasons why I think Conor can beat him or at least trouble him, all I've got in response is sneery remarks, deluded, ect ect.
    It's going to be the biggest fight of all time.

Joseph Duffy, an MMA fighter who beat McGregor years ago, changed over to boxing for a brief spell and won 7 out of 7 pro fights, Joe isn't even known as a good striker in MMA ,so with the world class trainers ect that Conor will bring in, along with his already brilliant striking, I feel he could actually make a decent go at it.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yes, I have never seen Conor box professionally. Again, more pointing out the obvious. The reason being that he has never boxed professionally. I'll hedge my bets on the career pro boxer thank you very much.

This debate "kind" of reminds me of the silly belief that Bruce Lee beats any man that ever lived in a "fight."

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

The only way this fight would be competitive would be to make hybrid rules to level the playing field. But in boxing, Floyd should win with ease. In MMA, McGregor should win with ease.

So seeing as that it will almost certainly be a boxing match, Floyd should win with ease. Like everything in sport and in life, there is a chance McGregor could win. It is a tiny chance. If I was to guess the true odds, I would say Floyd should be about 1/500.

Joseph Duffy, an MMA fighter who beat McGregor years ago, changed over to boxing for a brief spell and won 7 out of 7 pro fights, Joe isn't even known as a good striker in MMA ,so with the world class trainers ect that Conor will bring in, along with his already brilliant striking, I feel he could actually make a decent go at it.

Joe is regarded as having very high level boxing skills in MMA. His weakness is in wrestling. His record as a pro boxer is a bit misleading too. His opponents were very low level, bottom of the ladder guys. Many amateur boxers would most likely have had the same success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its a pointless fight. Forget about the money. Its an exhibition match which means nothing.

Mayweather was a retired 40 year old boxer.
    McGregor is an active 29 year old MMA fighter.

Mayweather wins - McGregor says "Well im not a boxer, what did you expect"
    McGregor wins - Mayweather says "Well im a 40 year old past his prime against a 29 year old, what did you expect".

They are not equals in age, ability and they are not even in the same sport. Pointless fight.

Would be hillarious though if McGregors instincts kick in during the match and he sweeps the legs of Mayweather. lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    If Conor beats Floyd I can see him sticking to pro boxing he'd have to fancy his chances against an old Pacquaio which could sell well beating them pair albeit out of their primes would be legendary.

So 25-1 on is the most they make Floyd a favourite? That's very generous to Conor. I know it's a two horse race with many variables, but all above board and both healthy I would have thought minimum 100 to 1 on..

Bookies will create as much of an advantage for themselves as they can get away with. But the big reason is the Leisceter city disaster last year. They will never get caught giving out monster odds ever again.

Gamebred wrote: »
    If Conor beats Floyd I can see him sticking to pro boxing he'd have to fancy his chances against an old Pacquaio which could sell well beating them pair albeit out of their primes would be legendary.

He would have a far better chance of beating Pac. He would have a huge size advantage and Pac is much easier to hit. I would still give him a less than 1 in 100 chance.

• Advertisement

Bookies will create as much of an advantage for themselves as they can get away with. But the big reason is the Leisceter city disaster last year. They will never get caught giving out monster odds ever again.

That was far from a disaster, it was a brilliant outcome for the bookies. They paid out only a fraction of what they would have had to if one of the favourites had won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I really struggle to see this ever taking place, it suits the both of them at the moment to keep talking about it. Mayweather has not much else going on and Conor loves the limelight.

For it not to be a complete farce both guys would need a fight 1st, a proper tune up. If they did not have this then it would be an exhibition, nothing else, no one wins, it would be kid glove stuff.

The issue with Conor having a tune up in boxing is that if it goes badly the fight is dead in the water.

Aside from the fact I would be amazed if the MMA did not have a way to stop their prize asset from potentially hurting himself or the brand and I'd be amazed if Mayweather was willing to risk his legacy on a freak show.

You might get a little 3 round charity event if both guys could put their ego's to good use, aside from that this is a non-starter.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Django99 wrote: »
    He would have a far better chance of beating Pac. He would have a huge size advantage and Pac is much easier to hit. I would still give him a less than 1 in 100 chance.

If by far better chance you mean getting a one punch KO over Manny then I agree. I could say the same for any capable man off the street with training behind him. One thing I think is that Manny would brutalise and hurt Conor more than Floyd would.

If by far better chance you mean getting a one punch KO over Manny then I agree. I could say the same for any capable man off the street with training behind him. One thing I think is that Manny would brutalise and hurt Conor more than Floyd would.

Yes that's what I mean and as I said I give him a tiny chance of doing so. And yes Pac would try to hurt McGregor a lot more than Floyd will. My prediction for a fight with Floyd would be 120-108 UD. What would yours be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Bookies mad more on City not winning the league than they lost on Leicester winning the league. Those wins, although huge for individual punters were only a small percentage of the entire book.

walshb wrote:

Conor isn't any man off the street tho, he's a world champion athlete in another combat sport

That was far from a disaster, it was a brilliant outcome for the bookies. They paid out only a fraction of what they would have had to if one of the favourites had won.

Are you sure? We were lead to believe that they were taken to the cleaners. Another classic example of how useful the media is when it is manipulated effectively.

Re Joseph Duffy, he is an excellent striker, watch his last fight. He would be out of his depth against top pro boxers though.

Are you sure? We were lead to believe that they were taken to the cleaners. Another classic example of how useful the media is when it is manipulated effectively.

Re Joseph Duffy, he is an excellent striker, watch his last fight. He would be out of his depth against top pro boxers though.

Yeah the bookies tried to make out it was a disaster but they definitely made more from Leicester winning.

The thing is the bookie will generally win regardless of the outcome. They give the odds based on the amount people have placed. The odds are given in such a way that whoever wins, they pay out less than the total stakes combined. In the case of Leicester, the amount they had to pay out would be covered by the stakes placed on the top 6 many times over.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yes that's what I mean and as I said I give him a tiny chance of doing so. And yes Pac would try to hurt McGregor a lot more than Floyd will. My prediction for a fight with Floyd would be 120-108 UD. What would yours be?

120-108 would be a clear "victory" for Conor. Floyd in 3-4 rds max if all's above board. Either by KO-TKO or corner stoppage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Floyd via DQ
    Conor isn't any man off the street tho, he's a world champion athlete in another combat sport

If Lomachenko couldn't beat Salido in his 2nd professional fight, Conor sure as hell can't beat Mayweather in his first. Lomachenko isn't any man off the street either.

Advertisement