Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Conor via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    It's simple: Boxing is both the toughest sport on earth and inherently the most dangerous. MMA is brutal, tough, energy sapping etc. It's still a notch below pro boxing.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

It's simple: Boxing is both the toughest sport on earth and inherently the most dangerous. MMA is brutal, tough, energy sapping etc. It's still a notch below pro boxing.

This.

I've done both, one to a reasonable level, the other at a low level. In an mma bout we pace for 5 minutes before getting a rest. In boxing the pace is much faster for more rounds.

A few mates from the mma community crossed over to boxing for a few three rounders & in each case they were blowing out their arse after a rounds. It's a different sport with different pace. To compare would be like expecting a marathon runner to be competitive in a triathlon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    Burial. wrote: »

Well the UFC and Dana White have to sign off on it don't they? And presumably they'll be getting a piece too. I scratch your back if you scratch mine. Assuming that then yes it's messing with both sports. You can't honestly think Conor will just buy out his contract to become a free agent?
    The UFC is a business, a promoter.
    The sport is MMA. They are an official body in any sense.
    The UFC's endorsement of this "fight", means nothing in terms of MMA. The sane way Toney's MMA fight meant nothing to boxing.
    Boxing matches last longer, which is a lot more significant than grappling as in a lot of fights, very little grappling actually occurs. Clinch work/inside game in Boxing is very demanding too if we're going there.
    I was saying boxing was less demanding. It's a good a higher cardio/endurance element.
    I'm pointing out that the different intensities make for very different demands. Comparing them directly is a fallacy, the trap you are falling into.
    But make no mistake about it, throw Cain in with a boxer of similar weight class and Cain would be gulping for air after two rounds or so.
    Thats a completely flawed example, it's true, but uselessly flawed.
    Stick that same HW boxer into a wrestling match with Cain and he'd he puking from fatigue while Cain was still fresh as a daisy.
    The "but in boxing..." card is pointless.
    Boxing is a far more intense and less stop/start sport. It's often seen guys in the UFC with their hands on their hips taking a a mutual breather during exchanges, do that in a Boxing ring and you're KO'd instantly. There's far less space to run and hide in a Boxing ring. Boxers require a much greater aerobic capacity due to the nature that fights simply last longer,
    Boxing is less stop start, and goes on longer, sure. Don't disagree, have said nothing to the contrary.
    But you are falsely attributing this to intensity. In terms of energy output, intensity has a specific meaning. The powerful bursts you mentioned have a much higher intensity. Boxers might be constantly active, but they aren't close to 100% intensity.
    I'm not saying at all grappling is a higher intensity all the time. I'm saying it those bursts are a huge intensity and are exhausting. It's not a cardio issue.
    and due to Boxing being far more intense and less stop/start you have to focus a lot more on your anaerobic capacity a lot more too. On the contrary increased muscle mass decreases anaerobic capacity.
    This part makes no sense tbh. Less stop start makes it more aerobic, not anaerobic. The stop/start bursts of MMA, increase the ratio of anaerobic to aerobic.
    And increased muscle mass decreases aerobic capacity, not anaerobic capacity. Anaerobic power is directly related to muscle mass. Look at the build of a sprinter (anaerobic) vrs middle distance runners where (aerobic)

Tl;dr
    Assessing boxing/MMA by how they proform in the each other's other sport is plain dumb.

Draw
    Both sports are very intense in cardio, but boxing is the more cardio intensive and explosive (aerobic and anerobic). It's 36 minutes. MMA rougher, boxing tougher!
    You are just using unquantifiable words like rougher and tougher.

As regards the 36 mins. That's another reason why is pointless comparing the two, the pace is very different.
    Boxing is 36 mins with 11 mins rest
    MMA is 25 mins with 4 mins rest

It should be plainly obvious that effects the pace of the sport.
    If boxing was fought with 5 rounds, and MMA with 3 mins. You see something completely different.
    That's mostly an emotional post. It's subjective.
    Except for the most dangerous part. Statistically is neither boxing or mma.
    Motorcycling, bulling riding, BASE jumping and many more extreme sports are way more dangerous.

And as for the point above (Burial) about MMA refs stopping fights, where boxers are allowed to recover and fight on, likely concussed. That's not a positive thing.
    I'm a fan of boxing, truest. But that's probably the worse aspect of boxing to me. All fighters risk their bodies, they accept it. Broken bones, cuts, etc will heal - not always fully. But the idea that a brain injury could ruin you years later should not be cenebrated. (It's not isolated to boxing either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Floyd via DQ
    Mellor wrote: »
    And as for the point above (Burial) about MMA refs stopping fights, where boxers are allowed to recover and fight on, likely concussed. That's not a positive thing.
    I'm a fan of boxing, truest. But that's probably the worse aspect of boxing to me. All fighters risk their bodies, they accept it. Broken bones, cuts, etc will heal - not always fully. But the idea that a brain injury could ruin you years later should not be cenebrated. (It's not isolated to boxing either).

In fairness to Burial. (and he's well capable of defending himself), he never claimed it was a positive thing and he certainly wasn't celebrating it. Quite the opposite in fact.

He stated in the post you quoted that "... it's a fine thing that happens in MMA that fighters are saved from themselves like that, I applaud them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Apparently they've agreed terms

Floyd via DQ
    haha.............. Conor will be like a sausage in Macaris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Does anyone actually know McGregor's boxing ability, both physically, technically, etc?

Or are people basing opinion on it's MMA v Boxing, etc, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know McGregor's boxing ability, both physically, technically, etc?

I don't think anybody really knows what his boxing ability is like. He'll probably keep that under raps to increase the hype.

I think he's major problem will be getting rid of bad habits, the MMA stance can be very free to allow a wide range of strikes and to account for a wide range of strikes. Boxing is just very a very different way of operating.

Maybe Connors MMA background will make him very challenging for Mayweather to deal with, it could be a revelation. If he can get under Mayweather's skin like he's done to other fighters Mayweather might not take Connor seriously and make mistakes.

The next big issue is Connors stamina. An early knock out seems unlikely, so he'll need to be able to do the full fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO

Those close to him know. He's more than capable of defending himself. He has a boxing background. He would need a fair bit of cardio training. With proper boxing cardio he could be somewhat competitive against some amateurs here. But he wouldn't be winning any titles. Decent feet, decent shot selection and power, and knows how to box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭CWF

Rgb.ie wrote: »

According to the Sun! They've agreed to talk they said. It's never ever going to happen, not in a million years, sorry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Floyd via DQ
    If this happens it's going to be a complete farce. Conor's power and that's all hes boxing going for him in a boxing ring won't transfer over with the bigger gloves. Fair play to him if he gives it a go but this is just about money. Floyd not the biggest puncher so Conor if he developed his cardio could last a while but this would be just a shut out. Pointless fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Rgb.ie wrote: »

According to the Irish Sun....

You may as well ask Mick down the local pub about it when it comes to credibility.

Every other news source are quoting the Irish sun as the source....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Floyd via DQ
    Caliden wrote: »
    According to the Irish Sun....

You may as well ask Mick down the local pub about it when it comes to credibility.

Every other news source are quoting the Irish sun as the source....

Asked Mick,
    Like a lot of people, he doesn't give a ****e about two lads out of the game, keeping each other in the media :D

Floyd via DQ
    Does anyone actually know McGregor's boxing ability, both physically, technically, etc? .............

He wouldn't get near the Irish Olympic team

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Augeo wrote: »
    He wouldn't get near the Irish Olympic team

True. He would be toyed with by those lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Im not so much looking forward to this, i just get a cm punk vibe off it. Not saying conor will be knocked out but it'll be like all build up for nothing. I'll enjoy the buildup I suppose, but even that its getting less and less because its all getting a bit camp, pantomime. I never liked how floyd promoted the fights, was not interested by it and i feel the two of them together are going to go overboard and we'll all be sick of it and happy its over so we can see an actual good fight.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    If Mayweather fights like a sissy ala his bout against Manny he loses no matter what happens....If he is incapable of putting a proper offensive pasting on Conor he loses....Actually, no matter what happens Mayweather loses...Conor has nothing to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Floyd via DQ
    Can't see fight happening unless Conor feel's be can compete at a decent level. I personally don't care for this fight. Mayweather will win. It's just for the money if it happens. MacGregor probably will earn more for the fight than most of his career in ufc so it makes sense for him. Boxing needs decent fighter's to fight. This will be just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Floyd via DQ
    We all don't care, but will watch it nonetheless. This is all about a big payday, if it happens, so McGregor wins, unless something tragic were to happen to him. He can, after he loses, go back to UFC or do something in WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Conor via DQ
    Here's a thought...would McGregor with a karate stance + hands down not create some sort of puzzle for Mayweather to figure out how to fight against?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Here's a thought...would McGregor with a karate stance + hands down not create some sort of puzzle for Mayweather to figure out how to fight against?

It would absolutely be a puzzle for Floyd.

Like a jigsaw puzzle.

That has a 1-3 years old age recommendation.

And only has two pieces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GerryDerpy wrote: »

Punching someone clean in the face isn't that difficult to figure out.

Draw
    The reality is nobody outside his close training partners noes.
    Using his form in MMA as evidence for how he'd do in boxing is a bit like suggesting how footballer would do in running based on how fast he can dribble the ball.

This will probably be one of the first times an MMA champion with an MMA upbringing has faced off against a boxing champion. Usually it's been boxing veterans trying out MMA and failing.

I'm not going to dismiss Connor, every time I've done that he's gone on to win with ease. It seems unlikely he'll be able to win though, but it will be interesting to see if MMA influences he's stance and movement. MMA training includes explosive speed where they can move halfway across the ring in a split second thanks to things like wrestling and Karate. It may be hard for Connor to overcome years of MMA training and restrict himself to punches in the heat of the moment.

Connor has a lot going for him, he's a complete unknown in boxing, he's young, confident and able to get under his opponent's skin so they end up ditching their strategy and just brawling. He could be hard for Mayweather to deal with.

I don't know what will happen. Connors created another fight where nobody can really predict what will happen, the two fighters are going to be very rich men at the end of the fight no matter what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Conor it's Conor btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Floyd via DQ
    a67e6a4f4ba81a9addb6bb97baa8fa8b.png

Draw
    The fact that Floyd is tweeting about this fight constantly is pretty crazy.
    If somebody said a year ago this would happen they'd (rightfully) have been ridiculed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Floyd via DQ
    Ah lads, in fairness cop the fuck on.
    McGregor is fit. He'd be fit enough to have a decent run at the intermediates. That's about it. I saw some clip online of him "sparring" some fella. The fella he was sparring wasn't even able to control his own balance after swinging his punches.
    Look at Lomachenko. Practically unbeaten as an amateur. Winning everything left right and center for years. Unbelievable technical skills. Still got beaten by Salido due to lack of experience of the tricks of the pro game.
    People talk about McGregor having had a promising amateur career? Anyone even know what he had? Was it like 3 bouts or 30 bouts. Did he even win the Dublin Boy leagues?
    More power to him if he gets the money. People will pay to see the novelty........the same way they might pay to see Enda Kenny take part in an MMA fight with McGregor. Handy handy money for Mayweather. Plus he gets to hit that 50 mark.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Plus he gets to hit that 50 mark.

He filed for multiple trademark/copyright for 50-0 this week. #JustSaying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Floyd via DQ
    Plus he gets to hit that 50 mark.

Does anyone know of/remember the fella (I think he was Egyptian or something like that) who was going on about being undefeated and calling himself the greatest ever but he was just boxing novice after complete novice. He had a record of 30-0 or something at some stage. I remember seeing clips from some of his bouts on youtube and they were quite funny. He was at one of the lighter weights. Almost zero technique/form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Does anyone know of/remember the fella (I think he was Egyptian or something like that) who was going on about being undefeated and calling himself the greatest ever but he was just boxing novice after complete novice. He had a record of 30-0 or something at some stage. I remember seeing clips from some of his bouts on youtube and they were quite funny. He was at one of the lighter weights. Almost zero technique/form

If you look through the boxing threads there was one set up about that guy alright, he was just got in and swung like a windmill :)
    Dana White has said he will give them 25 million each to fight, eh your about 75 mill short of what Mayweather expects to even lace up a pair of gloves there Dana.

Floyd via DQ
    The reality is nobody outside his close training partners noes.
    Using his form in MMA as evidence for how he'd do in boxing is a bit like suggesting how footballer would do in running based on how fast he can dribble the ball.

Yeah but one can say with near absolute certainty that his boxing ability is nowhere near that of a professional boxer.

Unless you have humongous MMA blinkers on.

Your example is a bit of a stetch too.

I can say with near certainty that none of the Dublin GAA players would get a game in next years CL final teams. That's more analgous to the Conor & Mayweather "fight"
    Ah lads, in fairness cop the fuck on.
    McGregor is fit. He'd be fit enough to have a decent run at the intermediates. That's about it...................

Indeed, lots of MMA blinkers on folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭badabing106

That was the late great Ali Raymi. Died two years ago in Yemen war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ

Where was this reported? He did that like a year ago around the time there was rumours of a Danny Garcia fight flying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ
    Also anyone saying this is the biggest fight of all time is going to be disappointed I feel.

No way this does the numbers Mayweather-Pacquiao did.

Draw
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Also anyone saying this is the biggest fight of all time is going to be disappointed I feel.

No way this does the numbers Mayweather-Pacquiao did.
    It possibly won't break the record, but it would certainly be top 3 of all time. Likely number two imo.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Guessing what figures this will do is kind of difficult. Needs to be 2.5 Million PPVs to beat Oscar-Mayweather to get number 2 slot. Whether or not it's the biggest is up for debate, one thing that is not is that it will be the biggest con job in boxing history.

Draw
    Needs to be 2.5 Million PPVs to beat Oscar-Mayweather to get number 2 slot
    If I was putting a number of it, I'd guess that it would do 2.5-3m buys.
    But as you said, very difficult to pull out any more than an educated guess

McGregor is fit. He'd be fit enough to have a decent run at the intermediates. That's about it. I saw some clip online of him "sparring" some fella. The fella he was sparring wasn't even able to control his own balance after swinging his punches.
    I wouldn't read to much into that video. You don't know the circumstances behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

Vasyl Lomachenko suggests UFC gloves in boxing ring McGregor vs Mayweather -(EsNews Boxing) - this idea could make things a bit more interesting.

McGregor still no match for Floyd in a boxing match - though this idea could make it more interesting.:D

Vasyl Lomachenko suggests UFC gloves in boxing ring McGregor vs Mayweather -(EsNews Boxing) - this idea could make things a bit more interesting.
    I doubt it would happen, it wouldn't be a boxing match by any legal definition. Boxing gloves can act like a shield so it would change everything, it would put Mayweather at a disadvantage. Don't know if it would be enough of a disadvantage.

Very much doubt it would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

This is a bigger sham than my 3rd marriage!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Are people actually discussing/wondering what the result of this boxing match WOULD be?
    A low level amateur intermediate level boxer who lost against other intermediate boxers versus one of the greatest boxers of all time?
    Please stop this nonsense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cfc88

Gamebred wrote: »
    Floyd is 40 with brittle hands, hasnt fought in ages its also harder to do a fight camp aged 40 and get down to weight so far that reason alone I think Conor beats him,

He's always struggled with heavy punchers like Maidana ect hasnt ko'd anybody since the sucker punch of Ortiz, McGregors style would cause him serious trouble I'd expect McGregor's left hand to ko Mayweather in 6, hes used to 5min rounds in mma so the 3minute ones would increase his power output.
    See what your meaning with the 5 minute rounds but truth I read Mayweather works harder than any fighter  also remember for the Gatti fight Mayweather was sparring 10 minute rounds .I see it similar to Mayweather Gatti Conor would be lucky to last 6 rounds I think in  MMA though agree could be a different story .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I think any fans of Conor that want to see this fight should pay heed to what happened to Haye at the weekend. That fight showed what can happen when a fighter shouldn't be in a boxing ring if they're not fully capable. In Haye's case, it was due to his injury, but in Conor's case, it would be the difference in boxing skills.

It would be dangerous for Conor to step into a boxing ring, simple as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I think any fans of Conor that want to see this fight should pay heed to what happened to Haye at the weekend. That fight showed what can happen when a fighter shouldn't be in a boxing ring if they're not fully capable. In Haye's case, it was due to his injury, but in Conor's case, it would be the difference in boxing skills.

It would be dangerous for Conor to step into a boxing ring, simple as.

Worst comparison of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Worst comparison of all time.

Imagine you are a professional boxer, been boxing since the age of 9 or 10. You've risen through the ranks, showing promise, winning amateur bouts, eventually going on to the Olympics and even medalling. You turn pro, and after 6 or 7 years you rise to the top of your division and are a number one contender.

Then you step into a ring with Mayweather, and you can barely land a glove on the guy.

This has been the experience for most of the guys Floyd has faced. And you think Conor would have a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It's akin to a table tennis world champion taking on Federer at Wimbledon.
    Or a pitch and putt world champ taking on Tiger at Augusta.
    Sure they might win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

XsApollo wrote: »
    It's akin to a table tennis world champion taking on Federer at Wimbledon.
    Or a pitch and putt world champ taking on Tiger at Augusta.
    Sure they might win.

Ah come on! Its more like the squash world champion taking on Roger Federer ha ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement