Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance - Is it worth it?

• 12-01-2017 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Im currently paying €300 a year for health insurance. Given that Laya Healthcare's most expensive plan is called Health Manager Gold and costs €683.59/ month, I must be wasting my €300 as its only 3.66% of cost of being covered for everything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,052 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you ever used it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Im currently paying €300 a year for health insurance. Given that Laya Healthcare's most expensive plan is called Health Manager Gold and costs €683.59/ month, I must be wasting my €300 as its only 3.66% of cost of being covered for everything.

It very much depends on whether you get sick or not. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

How long is a piece of string?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It depends on your plan and as others have said, whether you get sick or not. Are you aware of what's covered in your plan? Health manager gold covers pretty much everything, hence why it's so expensive. My husband's employer pays for our health insurance, and it's got all sorts of bells and whistles (even pays for a maternity bra if I get pregnant :pac:) however, if we had to pay for it ourselves, we wouldn't have such a comprehensive plan because it would be way too expensive.

It's a personal choice, but I'd never be without my health insurance, and have always used plans that cover you in at least some private hospitals even though I've sometimes had to cut back in other areas to afford it. For me it's been worth it because I've had experience of being on a waiting list on public VS being on a waiting list on private, and everything was done and dusted within 8 weeks on private, but I'd have been waiting over 18 months to be seen as a public patient.

Advertisement