Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlahn Thread from 12/01/17 - Now we're talking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This is Ray D'Arcy territory.
    Nothing is Ray Darcy's territory.
    Except Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,957 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Pension levy is now gone.
    Took my Chevy with the levy.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whoy not put the age to get the full dole to 35 from the current 25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

If you know what I mean

count = 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

You would never guess that Duffy has a private pension plan, having left the mothership of the RTE Superannuation Scheme, would you?

Joe's Agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

So what about the tax break you got for pension contributions............40% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

"ReferEnda".......rather!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

If you eat out more you will be recouping the pension levy through paying less tax on the bill so to speak. Or just to a Dine & Dash even better

Rapacious government?
    Hardly looting and pillaging - that was the previous lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Joe getting very personal here. Sounds like it hit his pocket. It's a bit like the way his voice shakes when he goes on about Anglo-Irish, AIB and Bank of Ireland shares. You just know that he bet big and lost big on them.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Joe getting very personal here. Sounds like it hit his pocket. It's a bit like the way his voice shakes when he goes on about Anglo-Irish, AIB and Bank of Ireland shares. You just know that he bet big and lost big on them.
    That's what he gets for following advice from Uncle Gaybo.

Of course it hit his pocket. He has no public service pension since he decided to go down the contractor's route through Claddaghgreen Limited. No mention of the tax breaks on pension contributions, though, as someone else pointed out.

Inshurdance in the last few minutes.
    Sure, they should give everybody back their premiums, Joe.

M

What colour is the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Roger_007 wrote: »
    So what about the tax break you got for pension contributions............40% ?

That depends what you earn. And you pay tax eventually when you start drawing down the pension. It's deferred taxation. Mind you, there's sometimes a tax free portion and you might be paying a lower rate of tax. But then, your money might be worth less. It's no recipe to get rich.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

She is spot on. No point trying to encourage people to save for retirement (and thus save the state money) when you keep skimming those very savings, and reducing the tax incentives for people to save for retirement as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Joe versus Liberty Insurance now!!!!

M

Did they call other companies for quotes?

He'll get his tame accountant friend Enid from Ranelagh on to explain the pension levy. Funny how the same Enid is never asked to explain the tax benefits of being a contractor through Claddaghgreen Ltd, rather than a PAYE employee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Surely he should have started with the fact that he's a hackney driver?

Nice plug for his Fiver Cabs.

3 o'clock, feck off, Joe.

M

I'm going to have a stiff drink before I open up my car inshurdance quote for this year, expecting it any day now.

"If it's not a cartel (which is a group of companies acting together) it's a monopoly (which is one company)".

Caller as clueless as Duffy.

PauloMN wrote: »
    She is spot on. No point trying to encourage people to save for retirement (and thus save the state money) when you keep skimming those very savings, and reducing the tax incentives for people to save for retirement as well.

You could also mention the 'administration' charges that pension providers skim off your savings as well. At least the contributions are tax free thereby saving you 40% of the value of those savings.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Was it not compulsory for natives of Carlow to shoot passing beggars at least once a month?
    I'm going to have a stiff drink before I open up my car inshurdance quote for this year, expecting it any day now.

Ring around.
    Get online quotes.
    Get quotes off brokers.
    Ring your present insurer and ask what's the best they can do.

It's worth spending a couple of hours on it, it'll potentially save you a lot.

PauloMN wrote: »

We really have a ticking time bomb in relation to retirement. As it stands now, the Public Service Pensions and the State Pension are unsustainable, and hitting those who save is stupid.

D'Arcy would be able to use an earpiece, never mind social media.

• Advertisement

Ray D'Arcy: It got me wondering..

Wondering if he's still Taoiseach and should Ray emigrate like he promised instead of trousering €500,000 a year off the taxpayer.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    You could also mention the 'administration' charges that pension providers skim off your savings as well. At least the contributions are tax free thereby saving you 40% of the value of those savings.

Good point. I'm a Trustee of a DC scheme, and we shopped around to reduce the admin fee. Well worth doing.

The man tells everybody on air that he uses the same four digit code for everything. I'd say The Daily Mail have it cracked already.

M

Ring around.
    Get online quotes.
    Get quotes off brokers.
    Ring your present insurer and ask what's the best they can do.

It's worth spending a couple of hours on it, it'll potentially save you a lot.

I tore the head of mine last year for it going up about 35%, I was freaked and then rang around all the others to find I actually was getting the best quote by a good 20% difference from the rest. I then had to ring mine back up and agree to their quote, I felt like this... :D

https://youtu.be/7MNS2dPfm0g?t=108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    That's what he gets for following advice from Uncle Gaybo.

Uncle Pat (once of that parish) got stiffed as well.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Uncle Pat (once of that parish) got stiffed as well.

I heard that they all had the same financial advisor. Which makes sense when you think of it as they all have the same manager. Also, think of your own workplace and how much info you share with colleagues like a recommendation for a good mechanic, or a good creche or butcher.

So they effectively all had a certain amount of money in supposed blue chip companies like Anglo, AIB, Bank of Ireland etc etc and when it all went tits up some of them got badly stung. Pat Kenny has spoken of it before. Joe hasn't as he doesn't want to come across as a loser and he doesn't want his massive earnings openly discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ha joe investing lol. He probably thought investors worked hard all day then maybe had a small sherry after 12 hour day. In reality they were on the lash while letting gizmo the chimpanze throw darts at the stock listing while smoking cuban cigars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

So they effectively all had a certain amount of money in supposed blue chip companies like Anglo, AIB, Bank of Ireland etc etc

most people in this country no matter what their earnings or social profile who had investments in shares had them in these supposed blue chips. ive heard a good few people openly admit they lost out on these shares

M

De 2-17 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-17 to date so to speak: 33
    Joe Shows: 32
    No Show Joe Shows: 1
    PBH Shows: 0
    D'Omen Shows: 1
    AN Udder Shows: 0

Ha joe investing lol. He probably thought investors worked hard all day then maybe had a small sherry after 12 hour day. In reality they were on the lash while letting gizmo the chimpanze throw darts at the stock listing while smoking cuban cigars.

A more apt description of the smoke, mirrors and BS of the stock world, I've yet to find. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I heard that they all had the same financial advisor. Which makes sense when you think of it as they all have the same manager. Also, think of your own workplace and how much info you share with colleagues like a recommendation for a good mechanic, or a good creche or butcher.

So they effectively all had a certain amount of money in supposed blue chip companies like Anglo, AIB, Bank of Ireland etc etc and when it all went tits up some of them got badly stung. Pat Kenny has spoken of it before. Joe hasn't as he doesn't want to come across as a loser and he doesn't want his massive earnings openly discussed.

Any bog standard County Councillor is cleverer than any of those so called mighty intellects :P

• Advertisement

I still don't like the way that whole show was orchestrated by Duffy the other day. Duffy brings on some disgruntled Fine Gael Cumann sandwich maker and gives him the national airwaves to say "I want Enda to go". A few other voices were brought in to the conversation, but the person who was MOST vocal throughout the "debate" was Duffy himself.

Then, of his own volition, he organises a loaded and provocative poll. Who dictates what the topic of these Liveline polls? Is Joe Duffy dictating what these polls should be? He's meant to be the chairman of a call in debate show, why is he organising polls. If any polls ARE organised, this should surely be what the callers ask for as well? Did you ever notice that he only organises a poll when he feels that the majority of people will agree with HIS own personal opinion.

If Duffy wants to organise polls, maybe he should give up the quarter million from RTE, and get a job with Red C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

according to RTEs twitter the show's to be about TUSLA today.

mind you things are getting so bad for Enda the FG story should resurface too.

according to RTEs twitter the show's to be about TUSLA today.

mind you things are getting so bad for Enda the FG story should resurface too.

Joe will helpfully link the two. Wait and see.

His loathing for FG is only matched by his love of money.

Church of Scientology.

Was this in the promo?

Scienbolloxy.

"Very swanky.."

Within one sentence of the topic, Joe Duffy is already colouring people's opinions.

Just make some shyt up - just like they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Swanky" to use a Dublin phrase.

Having failed to get rid of the Palmarians, is Joe now turning his sights on the Scientologists with a view to having them closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Are the Palmarians having a recruitment drive?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement