Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlahn Thread from 12/01/17 - Now we're talking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Fateen would have 7 v 1 at this stage against her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,958 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

So, she won't lick anyone's bum.
    <strikes her off list>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,572 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enda should bring Trump a golden trowel for the wall and that, DJT would love it...

Trowel3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Lad who gets paid by the taxpayer telling her to put it up to a country that controls 200k privates sector jobs.

yeah damo , good thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

vicwatson wrote: »
    She's putting her degree to good use she says -

Sarah-Louise-Mulligan.jpg

She'll certainly GRAB the Donald's attention anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love Trump because of callers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

TOLD YA !

NUTTER on line one.

:D:D:D:D

they ONLY bring on trump supporters for this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Liveline actually has their own trolls now, cool. :D

Ahhh lol poor pet

• Advertisement
    M

Pity it's not 2.30, could have been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sleepwalking back to the 1930's?

Surely you mean goosestepping caller?

No right to reply for Sarah? Booooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hysterical woman

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was so funny.

Endacantdecent wit raaaage

I caught that previous lad on the journey home in the car. When I started the journey I was whistling away to myself, but by the end of yer man's story I was like Tommy Tiernan on bus leaving craggy island, listening to Radiohead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

"Can I have a lend of a smoke so to speak"

Had a friend one time who hung around with us, as mean as f***. She left school at 15 and got a job. It was always giveus a match, givus a fag, givus a drink of your Coke and she having a fulltime job and the rest of us not even having a pot to piss in so to speak. But we shared what little we had even with her. We always called her 'Givis' behind her back. Anyway the years went by and Givus bought a car in her twenties, a nice car. We'd be hitching a lift to a dance or disco on a Saturday and she'd pass us in her new car and wouldn't let on to see us. All the time since she left school she was always 'saving to get married' she was saving money but not saving herself if you know what I mean.

We dropped hints now again about her meaness but she just ignored us. But it did push her to leave the car at home during the week as two of the girls working in the same place as her lived not too far from her and she passed them quiet a few mornings and it pissing rain.

Another decade or so passed and lo and behold she built a a big house with 4 bedrooms...still not a man in sight or even a sniff of one within a forty mile radius of her. The rest of us all got married, got separated and shacked up with each others partners, the usual. Still as poor as church mice the lot of us, morgages, HP, college fees, but at least we're happy. We do envy her ladyship now and again when we meet up...that we weren't as clever as her saving in our younger days. She put up photos of the new house on FB a couple of years ago and wondered what she should it. None of suggested but we call thought ' Dungivus'

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Had a friend one time who hung around with us, as mean as f***. She left school at 15 and got a job. It was always giveus a match, givus a fag, givus a drink of your Coke and she having a fulltime job and the rest of us not even having a pot to piss in so to speak. But we shared what little we had even with her. We always called her 'Givis' behind her back. Anyway the years went by and Givus bought a car in her twenties, a nice car. We'd be hitching a lift to a dance or disco on a Saturday and she'd pass us in her new car and wouldn't let on to see us. All the time since she left school she was always 'saving to get married' she was saving money but not saving herself if you know what I mean.

We dropped hints now again about her meaness but she just ignored us. But it did push her to leave the car at home during the week as two of the girls working in the same place as her lived not too far from her and she passed them quiet a few mornings and it pissing rain.

Another decade or so passed and lo and behold she built a a big house with 4 bedrooms...still not a man in sight or even a sniff of one within a forty mile radius of her. The rest of us all got married, got separated and shacked up with each others partners, the usual. Still as poor as church mice the lot of us, morgages, HP, college fees, but at least we're happy. We do envy her ladyship now and again when we meet up...that we weren't as clever as her saving in our younger days. She put up photos of the new house on FB a couple of years ago and wondered what she should it. None of suggested but we call thought ' Dungivus'

The Stinge Thread is over there :D
    >>>>
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136862

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

He sounds like some mad oul wan...Id say the neighbours run a mile when they see him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    So, she won't lick anyone's bum.
    <strikes her off list>
    No chance of a rusty trombone, so.
    Don't google at work.

M

I see the udder full-time presenter of Liveline, Mr PBH is on the Late Late Show tonight for anyone looking for a fix, he hasn't been hosting the show at all yet this year.

Enda should bring Trump a golden trowel for the wall and that, DJT would love it...

Trowel3.JPG
    A brickie/plasterer friend of mine won the lotto a few years ago. Gonna send him that.

M

I see the udder full-time presenter of Liveline, Mr PBH is on the Late Late Show tonight for anyone looking for a fix, he hasn't been hosting the show at all yet this year.

The bollix Mannix Flynn is also on the show.

The bollix Mannix Flynn is also on the show.
    I've had a few pints. It's time for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm just after listening to today's podcast.....I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard Philip, the mature student from Sligo on the show. On a basic human level, it's sad that he had a brush with cancer at such a young age and that he doesn't seem to have any network of support in his life. It must be a lonely existence for him.

However, he is making life awful difficult for himself with his attitude, he seems to think everyone owes him something. It irked me when he said that he has no friends in college because they were all threatened by his amazing ability and knowledge. Unfortunately, he seems to have limited social skills, anyone would know that speaking badly of your peers on national radio isn't going to help you form friendships. I can't see any of them offering him a lift from Strandhill to college after today.

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot more from Philip, he has all the hallmarks of another 'John O'Donovan'. Another lad who believes that he has the skill set to solve all the country's issues from the comfort of his armchair. You can be sure Philip has made a note of all the producers' names in his little black book and he'll be on again as soon as he identifies another 'grave injustice' that 'needs' highlighting.

• Advertisement

I didn't hhear the show today but my daughter did, in true liveline caller fashion.

She knows Philip from college and she says he's all of the above and worse.

I'll play rtte podcast tomorrow and hear for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Any idea what course your man Philip was studying. Not sure if I caught it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Accountancy, law and politics I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Donal55 wrote: »
    Accountancy, law and politics I think.

Top of the class too going working with one of the top 5 firms in Dublin. I'd say he would last five mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

liam7831 wrote: »
    Top of the class too going working with one of the top 5 firms in Dublin. I'd say he would last five mins

Think he said he was working in law in Dublin before he went to accountsncy studies aswell

• Advertisement

Not diplomacy, that's for sure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did anyone find phillips twitter account

liam7831 wrote: »

Let's hope he's not too opinionated when the annual PWC e-mail rating the hotness of interns comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Only caught a few mins of Philip yesterday but will listen back at some stage over the next few days. I worked with "a country gay" like Philip once; highly opinionated, huge superiority complex, rude, think and ignorant. He came out with the following line at lunch one day "I can do anything I want and I can't be sacked because I'm gay". And he pretty much did. Forced more than one person to resign/leave the company because of his behaviour (and full-on bullying) and HR (though fully aware that he was the problem) wouldn't touch it/him with a bargepole. Possibly the nastiest person I have ever met. Unlike Philip however he didn't even have a degree.

Had to laugh at Philip and his bragging about being top of the class and aiming for first class honours (in a primary degree - lol, what an amazing accomplishment....no-one has ever done that before). If he behaves in an interview like he did on the radio yesterday he'll never get a job.

And him saying the ex was possessive or controlling (or however he described it) - he sounded exactly like that himself.

As for any chance of him having friends, a social circle or being accepted in Sligo IT after yesterday's performance he can forget it. He committed social suicide. They'll be playing that podcast at parties as a drinking game. He's actually made things worse for himself now, not better.

And him saying the ex was possessive or controlling (or however he described it) - he sounded exactly like that himself.

I would associate the words - possessive and controlling with an abusive relationship. I'm surprised Damien didn't jump in to say something along the lines of... (well, there are two sides to the story so we probably shouldn't go into it etc..) Philip mentioned that he only ever had one partner so his former partner may be identifiable to people in Sligo. He may not appreciate Philip describing him in such a negative manner on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I wish this young man all the best in life. I would pray that down the line he finds a partner in life and is happy. If Philip were reading this I'd say to him all the best in your exams.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I wish this young man all the best in life. I would pray that down the line he finds a partner in life and is happy. If Philip were reading this I'd say to him all the best in your exams.
    I'm in agreement. Philip definitely has a lot going for him, he seems to be a bright lad and he's working hard to better himself. However, he needs to work on his social skills, otherwise, he is going to continue to drive people away.

I worked with a guy years ago who had Asperger's syndrome, one day Monday morning a colleague arrived into the office wearing her new engagement ring. We all congratulated her but he gave her the stats on divorce. Now, the guy genuinely didn't mean any harm, we all knew that so we made allowances for him. However, Philip admits that he is aware that his opinions and attitudes are driving people away, if he knows there is an issue he owes it to himself and his future happiness to address it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm in agreement. Philip definitely has a lot going for him, he seems to be a bright lad and he's working hard to better himself. However, he needs to work on his social skills, otherwise, he is going to continue to drive people away.

That won't happen. You can hear how he completely dismissed that suggestion from a caller. Starting at approx 16 minutes.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21136634%5F53%5F24%2D02%2D2017%5F

That won't happen. You can hear how he completely dismissed that suggestion from a caller. Starting at approx 16 minutes.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21136634%5F53%5F24%2D02%2D2017%5F
    Never say never - now that he has been on Liveline perhaps he'll receive some constructive feedback from people in college or even his family that might lead him to make a few positive changes.

I'd like to think that some students on his course will be good samaritans and invite him to lunch so he isn't always dining alone but if they do, he has to be ready to change his 'everyone is threatened by me or out to get me' mindset.

Never say never - now that he has been on Liveline perhaps he'll receive some constructive feedback from people in college or even his family that might lead him to make a few positive changes.

I'd like to think that some students on his course will be good samaritans and invite him to lunch so he isn't always dining alone but if they do, he has to be ready to change his 'everyone is threatened by me or out to get me' mindset.

The problem (IMO) is if anyone sat him down and gave him the constructive feedback he clearly needs they would be told that they were jealous of Philip's own sense of general awesomeness.

When I listened back it was clear he had put all of the info. he divulged on the air privately to Aonghus and Siobhan - and here's my problem with that. It was clearly exploitative on the part of the show to put someone like Philip on air and expose his shall we say "idiosyncrasies" to a wider audience. It certainly was not of national interest. He said on more than one occasion he discussed several of the topics covered with the producers. It served no purpose other than to make him a bigger laughing stock than he clearly already is amongst his students, peers and likely the IT's staff. He clearly has notions about himself (to use that expression) and tbh I'm not sure they're grounded in fact. He talked about his (yet to be acquired) BA like it was a doctorate, when the fact of the matter is at 36 with a degree you're already 14 years behind those you'll be competing with jobs for (and that's before we talk about the ranking of Universities BA's V those of an IT etc.). As I said in a previous post if he talked in an interview like he did on Da LahvLahn he'll never get a job and even if he did he would be a HR nightmare from many perspectives.

His addressing D'Omen as "Mr. O'Reilly" repeatedly and he engaged in some lickarsery at the end of the call that was embarrassing and cringe-worthy. D'Omen tried to make a joke out of Philip's ranking of himself and Joe Duffy as the best presenters on RTE, which had all the comedic value of a Syl Fox joke at a FunnyFryday so to speak.

i feel a bit sorry for the guy on some levels, but he's his own worst enemy. As for the suggestion that a Good Samaritan would go for lunch with him I doubt it - they'd be risking isolation or seclusion themselves by associating with Philip. I'm not saying that's right, but that's the way things are.

My biggest fear for him however is now that he was given airtime on Da LahvLahn is that it'll go to his head and he'll think he's some sort of "big man on campus" or dare I say it a "celebrity" of sorts and he becomes an even bigger tool as a result.

But i go back to an earlier point in this post when i say i do think he was set up by the show to be exploited for his (to paraphrase Joe) "differences".

• Advertisement

Also, here's wan for Joe to get his teeth into:

So I've been in the US for over 2 weeks now. I've been using my credit card and cash to date but yesterday I used my Visa debit card to buy a few things. I informed my bank I'd be in the states for a few weeks and gave my travel dates to avoid any mishaps with my card(s) being declined as this has happened to me in the past and it's incredibly inconvenient when it happens.

I bought in this order:
    an item that cost $850
    a coffee and a pasty for $8.32 (incl. taxes etc.)

Guess which wan Bank of Ireland declined the purchase on and called me on to check it was me and not someone using my card fraudulently? The coffee and pastry. Not the $850 purchase. Hmmmm.

I reckon the $850 created a red flag on your account and the next purchase was always going to be declined regardless of the amount. You'd be covered for any fraudulent charges anyway so you wouldn't have been out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Also, here's wan for Joe to get his teeth into:

So I've been in the US for over 2 weeks now. I've been using my credit card and cash to date but yesterday I used my Visa debit card to buy a few things. I informed my bank I'd be in the states for a few weeks and gave my travel dates to avoid any mishaps with my card(s) being declined as this has happened to me in the past and it's incredibly inconvenient when it happens.

I bought in this order:
    an item that cost $850
    a coffee and a pasty for $8.32 (incl. taxes etc.)

Guess which wan Bank of Ireland declined the purchase on and called me on to check it was me and not someone using my card fraudulently? The coffee and pastry. Not the $850 purchase. Hmmmm.

I would imagine they can't do anything about the first purchase bar get alerted by it, and they then blocked your card as it was being used abroad? You think they wanted to profit off the larger transaction or something :confused:

domrush wrote: »
    I would imagine they can't do anything about the first purchase bar get alerted by it, and they then blocked your card as it was being used abroad? You think they wanted to profit off the larger transaction or something :confused:

I told them I was going to be in the US and gave my dates prior to departure. I've been using my credit card for the last 2 weeks. Both cards are with the same bank.

Not suggesting they wanted to profit from it, just baffled by the stupidity of a system that allows for an $850 purchase to go through yet blocks an $8.

I reckon the $850 created a red flag on your account and the next purchase was always going to be declined regardless of the amount. You'd be covered for any fraudulent charges anyway so you wouldn't have been out of pocket.

Nope. I did ask that. All purchases are independent. I was then told the checks on purchases are completely random. That's really reassuring!

M

I see de Liveline had an ad on for it during Room To Improve, telling de public to talk to Joe.

Nope. I did ask that. All purchases are independent. I was then told the checks on purchases are completely random. That's really reassuring!

I've done some work for credit card companies and in my experience, they tend to watch low-value charges (especially in foreign currencies) as fraudsters tend to test cards with small amounts before making large charges. As I said in my previous post, you're covered for fraudulent charges to your account so using a credit card is far less risky than travelling with large amounts of cash.

I see de Liveline had an ad on for it during Room To Improve, telling de public to talk to Joe.

So long as the audience don't start ringing Joe about the work that Dermot Bannon did for them.:D

I've done some work for credit card companies and in my experience, they tend to watch low-value charges (especially in foreign currencies) as fraudsters tend to test cards with small amounts before making large charges. As I said in my previous post, you're covered for fraudulent charges to your account so using a credit card is far less risky than travelling with large amounts of cash.

I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT! I KNOW DAT!

:D

But I am still a little miffed about them firstly not updating their system as I rang them with the info., and then stopping me on an $8 item which was randomly selected in their own words when they let an $850 purchase go unchecked a few minutes earlier SO TO SPEAK!

• Advertisement

RTE, supporting RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement