Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlahn Thread from 12/01/17 - Now we're talking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Bodhran wrote: »
    Well I think it's safe to say that the nuns themselves didn't physically put the remains of the poor unfortunate children in the septic tank/chamber but it had to have been done with their (the nuns) full knowledge and therefore, that makes them responsible.

A nun (a grown woman) is perfectly capable of picking up an infant or small child, wrapping them in a cloth, tieing them up, carrying them down a tunnel and placing them where they were left.

We've read constantly that the kids were emaciated and malnourished. Safe to say there were no grossly obese kids amongst them. Also, the more you can do yourself, the more you can cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Nobody should have to suffer what that poor woman did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Red Kev wrote: »
    A nun (a grown woman) is perfectly capable of picking up an infant or small child, wrapping them in a cloth, tieing them up, carrying them down a tunnel and placing them where they were left.

We've read constantly that the kids were emaciated and malnourished. Safe to say there were no grossly obese kids amongst them. Also, the more you can do yourself, the more you can cover up.

I don't disagree with you. It doesn't really make any difference whether the nuns carried our the actual burial or whether they caused the burial to be carried out, the nuns bear the responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Sacksian wrote: »
    Listening to Hook earlier,he won't read, look or listen to anything about Tuam as it's too sickening.....and then there's Joe !!!!

I'm not a fan of Joe Duffy, but these stories HAVE to be told and he's provided an outlet to that woman. Ignoring or silencing these experiences was part of the problem.

I agree totally but he doesn't have to put her through this much just to get to 3 o clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Red Kev wrote: »

They were more likely to have used a local handyman, gardener etc. Plenty of men worked in and about these places for practical reasons.

Before we congratulate ourselves on the back though, one of the main things that separates our societies attitude now to back then, is that women have access to a whole range of social welfare supports.

And plenty of people here like to have a go at the excesses and abuse by women of these supports and sometimes rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

According to the report of the Inter-Departmental Group on Mother and Baby Homes via Department of Children and Youth Affairs, this is what the 796 babies died from

?width=630&version=3269000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

They were more likely to have used a local handyman, gardener etc. Plenty of men worked in and about these places for practical reasons.

Before we congratulate ourselves on the back though, one of the main things that separates our societies attitude now to back then, is that women have access to a whole range of social welfare supports.

And plenty of people here like to have a go at the excesses and abuse by women of these supports and sometimes rightly so.

I've never had a go at anyone for the abuse of the system, sure it goes on but it's a small price to pay for knowing that women are able to keep children and live a bearable life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I can't not comment.

That woman's story, and she's one of SO many, absolutely heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine the absolute fear, loss, grief, terrible pain, all ignored. And it's all so fresh in her mind, it sounds like it happened last week so absolutely awful.

I'm horrified. As a person, as a woman, as a mother.

I'm 40 this year and was convent schooled. Bitches nuns were, almost without exception, bitter, hard nosed, cruel bitches.

And those women's families consigned them, and their unborn babies into the 'care' of those monsters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I just can't get my head around the number of these Mother & Baby homes, Magdalene and other Laundries, Orphanages, Industrial Schools etc. across the country in times past. There were three of those institutions in our local town alone! So, so sad - everything - the bullying and influence the Church had over people, the way humans treated and abused other humans, whether they be clergy, family or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

muggles wrote: »
    I just can't get my head around the number of these Mother & Baby homes, Magdalene and other Laundries, Orphanages, Industrial Schools etc. across the country in times past. There were three of those institutions in our local town alone! So, so sad - everything - the bullying and influence the Church had over people, the way humans treated and abused other humans, whether they be clergy, family or otherwise.

They are all power trippers, we need to knock that power away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that the government set up a commission of inquiry into the baby homes scandal when they could simply have handed the whole thing over to Duffy and the Liveline crew.

It was cheaper to set up the Commision than to pay Joe's fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A poor poor salt o'de earth working woman in her 40's has her livelihood taken away from her, she was only trying to make a few pound as an entrepenuuuuueeerrrrr so to speak...
    AN IRISH WOMAN in her 40s was questioned after 27,600 cigarettes and 3.8kg of tobacco was seized in a Dublin house.

The seizure was part of an intelligence led operation focusing on the illicit tobacco trade in Moore Street in Dublin’s City Centre.

The retail value of the contraband is over €16,300, representing a potential loss to the Exchequer of approximately €13,000.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cigarettes-seized-moore-street-3275035-Mar2017/

A poor poor salt o'de earth working woman in her 40's has her livelihood taken away from her, she was only trying to make a few pound as an entrepenuuuuueeerrrrr so to speak...

http://www.thejournal.ie/cigarettes-seized-moore-street-3275035-Mar2017/

To be fair, that is peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

That f..king organisation is about nothing only power and control, and still thousands of dopey SHEEP flock through their doors every weekend. :mad:
    I can't understand it, what will it take for people to wake up and shake of their self-imposed shackles?
    It's a criminal organisation, responsible for organised murder and paedophilia worldwide and I despise it with every fibre of my being.
    I would spray paint 'MURDERERS' & 'SHAME' on every poxy church in town if I thought I would get away with it.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm really affected by what I heard today.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

furiousox wrote: »
    That f..king organisation is about nothing only power and control, and still thousands of dopey SHEEP flock through their doors every weekend. :mad:
    I can't understand it, what will it take for people to wake up and shake of their self-imposed shackles?
    It's a criminal organisation, responsible for organised murder and paedophilia worldwide and I despise it with every fibre of my being.
    I would spray paint 'MURDERERS' & 'SHAME' on every poxy church in town if I thought I would get away with it.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm really affected by what I heard today.

the great part was we all told our deepest sins to them in confession.......can you imagine it.....all the women, men, youths , children, and them all listening.......controlling.....watching.....checking if your aunt was seeing a man
    for example.....(true)

• Advertisement

Park Royal wrote: »
    the great part was we all told our deepest sins to them in confession.......can you imagine it.....all the women, men, youths , children, and them all listening.......controlling.....watching.....checking if your aunt was seeing a man
    for example.....(true)

Ah I only ever told them I lied to me Ma and fought with me sister. They were the standard sins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

pilly wrote: »
    Ah I only ever told them I lied to me Ma and fought with me sister. They were the standard sins.

"the priest in confession condemns my obsession
    with thoughts that I do not invite,
    I mumble and stutter
    he slams down the shutter, goodnight"

(goodnight ta you too faader) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Suppose you just make stuff up, to wind the feckur up?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    This will be interesting, how come Dublin expect to have a combined Fibergade and Hambulance service while the rest of the country rely on a National call centre for these services?
    Maybe because it's the Capital and after all the boys and girls in the Dublin Fibergade must be treated different to the rest of us??? :rolleyes:

Dublin: 1,381 people per km2
    Other 25 counties: 41 people per km2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

You'd have to laugh at Joe Duffy saying "Oh we were all responsible". I hope when you say "we", Joe, you are referring to RTE. RTE were in the perfect position to report on this sort of thing, but always bowed to the Church when it was put up to them. Gay Byrne was the only one in there who was prepared to tackle the Church while the rest of them bowed and said their prayers. And then when it became popular to bash the Church, and RTE jumped on the bandwagon, they got it all wrong and cos the State 12 million. So while you spending time talking about corrupt, closed minded institutions, Joe, you might do an oul show on that organisation you work for yourself.

/rant
    ahhhhhh... I needed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

vicwatson wrote: »
    Paul in all his "glory" :rolleyes:

paul-churchhill.jpg

"I hear they're taking the Golden Cleric off Fr. Paul, Ted. Any idea why, at all?"

Only got to listen to the show yesterday evening and I swear to god that Fr Paul drove me mental, how I didn't crash the car I'll never know.

He continually said "IF bodies were found" as if it hasn't been proven.

And then wondered if it was the same place his father was in as if there were 2 homes in Tuam!!

Infuriating. Joe did pull him up quite a bit but I was screaming at him to call him up on repeatedly saying IF bodies were found. There is no IF anymore.

M

De 2-17 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-17 to date so to speak: 47
    Joe Shows: 41
    No Show Joe Shows: 6
    PBH Shows: 0
    D'Omen Shows: 6
    AN Udder Shows: 0

M

T'day...
    The tragic deaths today
    De Tuam babies

I shall not be listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I picked the wrong week to take a few days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing the increase in the price of a postage stamp will take up at least half the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Whatever come up on today's show , the word 'communideee' will appear several times....the communideeeee in con- Dakin , the communideeeee post office , the communideee in chew-am , etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm guessing the increase in the price of a postage stamp will take up at least half the show.

What's a postage stamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a whopping 28cent:rolleyes:

Shock Tan Na GaleGa..........whopee!

• Advertisement

"Top of the World, Joe."

"Well, I'll soon fix that, caller."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

will they be trying to find worse stories every day this week ? The postage stamps , or palarmanians would be a welcome change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Was there no nice priests like Ted and Dougal??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

' and what was the army like caller ? '

' worse than the orphanage Joe '

He's really hamming this up isn't he. Like a one man play or something.

I've never heard any of these people, who were 'boarded out' to farmers, have a good word to say about their treatment. Are all farmers in Ireland heartless ba$tards?

There at the right time for a deafness claim, too.

I've never heard any of these people, who were 'boarded out' to farmers, have a good word to say about their treatment. Are all farmers in Ireland heartless ba$tards?

I know a few that aren't.
    I've heard of, and met, a few that are.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    There at the right time for a deafness claim, too.

WHA?

• Advertisement

Why does he keep calling Duffy "Sir". He's like the farm labourer Ted on The Fast Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Well Joe should ask them when boarded out to farmers did they sleep in the farmhouse or in the shed alongside the animals.

Why does he keep calling Duffy "Sir". He's like the farm labourer Ted on The Fast Show.

The "Sir" is probably coming from his Army experience.

Some of this rings a bell...
    By the sound of it, I think some of the Bon Secours nuns left the order and went on to run nursing homes for profit.

So, after being treated like a dog by the farming family, he went back to visit them?

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    The "Sir" is probably coming from his Army experience.
    Just becomes automatic - often meant with irony, but Joe laps it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Thanks Mr De VAlera , his free state handed this country's social services over to the pyschopaths of the Catholic Church ,traitor

Oops69 wrote: »
    Thanks Mr De VAlera , his free state handed this country's social services over to the pyschopaths of the Catholic Church ,traitor

All this stuff puts the 1916 hype of last year into some sort of context. There was, and is, nothing to celebrate about our independence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

surprised these kids didnt go back as adults and get revenge on these psychopaths

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Remember reading Ma he Sold me for a few cigarettes- harrowing

Oops69 wrote: »

I agree, but there was lots of opportunity for those that came after him to sort it out if they were interested.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement